Input signals to the regulator/rectifier : how do these work ?

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by sudolea, Apr 9, 2019.

1. sudolea

sudolea New Member

Belgium
    Map
    Hello,

I don't understand the interaction between the starter relay switch (closes when the starter switch is closed) and the regulator/rectifier. Because when I remove the Main fuse (without ignition "on"), there is voltage on both sides of the fuse. 12,3V at the one side, 12,8V at the other side. I can only suppose the regulator/rectifier is supplying the 12,3V ? But then again, may I suppose that the regulator/rectifier doesn't really need the IGN signal to supply voltage? How does the regulator/rectifier react on its different input lines ?

If someone could make me a little less confused, I would highly appreciate it :)

Schermafdruk van 2019-04-09 20-28-13.png

2. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Hopefully this will help

[ 2014 Vfr800 charging system.jpg 2014 vfr800 starter circuit..jpg

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  3. sudolea

sudolea New Member

Belgium
    Map
    Thank you for pointing me towards that page 6-5. I'm still checking this out, but not for the first couple of days, as I will be out riding my bike in the Germany's Eifel (cornering course - hope that's the correct English word for what it is).

Once I'm back, and to start with, I'll have to confirm for myself that my findings (more specifically that 12.3 V reading) were correct indeed.

4. Grum

Grum New Member

Australia
    Hi Sudolea.
    I know this is an old topic, but it caught my attention and curiosity!

I did a few checks today and confirmed what you are saying, that Ignition to OFF then with the Main 30amp fuse pulled you DO measure 12v on both Supply and Load side of the fuse holder connections! However, while holding the meter lead on the Load side this (open circuit voltage) 12v gradually decays (due to voltmeter impedance), unlike the supply side, which is connected directly to battery positive, a solid 12v.
    I can confirm this is not a backup voltage feeding back from the Instrument Panel (to keep the clock active while changing a battery), as removing the Clock Fuse, didn't effect the Main Fuse load side voltage, its still there, but decaying. That only leaves the R/R, I'm only guessing it may possibly be the sum of Parasitic Capacitance of the 6 internal MOSFETs, Or perhaps some form of Capacitive output filtering within the R/R.

I didn't bother unpluging the R/R DC output plug to absolutley confirm the voltage is coming from the R/R.

To answer your comment...... "But then again, may I suppose that the regulator/rectifier doesn't really need the IGN signal to supply voltage?"....... The R/R produces nothing until the Engine is running, no AC input = 0 DC Output, apart from the Capacitive effect of storing battery voltage as mentioned!

Hope this helps.
    Cheers.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2023