inline fuel filter and fuel strainer

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by duncan.VF500, Dec 12, 2018.

1. duncan.VF500

duncan.VF500 New Member

Canada
    hey, so I just bought an 86 VF500F inceptor, the tank was full of rust. I took off the tank and removed the petcock unfortunately in the process I just massacred the fuel strainer/screen only to find out that Honda no longer makes this part and its impossible to find. Considering the 86 has no other filter between the petcock and the carbs I was wondering if anyone knew if it would be sufficient enough to put in 2 inline filters after the Y?

side question: is it possible to gravity bleed the clutch when there is already air in the lines?

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. Bat-1

Bat-1 New Member

United States
    Map
    Thoroughly clean and line the tank (I've had great results with the KBS 52000 kit. It takes a couple days to dry but you'll never have to worry about rust again).

After that an in-line filter should serve at least as well as the missing strainer. Get the clear cased ones and you can keep an eye on things. I see no reason why this wouldn't work at least as well as stock strainer.

Not sure I understand the clutch bleeding question. Why would this be a problem? Aren't you always bleeding the clutch with air in it? Or why bleed it?

As long as pressure is being applied to a closed system the lighter air should be forced out at the bleeders. I've had times on brake lines where it's almost all air and I've used a syringe to force fluid into the system.

3. Scouser

Scouser New Member

Canada
    Map
    Canadian Tire sell a clear glass type that will work. I just put one in line. (Rebuilding most of everything) I'm in the same process of Tank cleaning using CLR then Diesel fuel. Still cleaning out a lot of rust.

4. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    as a FYI, the glass filters will only stop the big bits - the other stuff still gets through. Rusty tanks put an incredible amount of crap into the whole fuel system.

5. Nickle

Nickle New Member

United Kingdom
    Hello to all on the forum.
    I have recently bought a 1985 VF500F2 and am looking for help.
    Almost 2 years on from the above posts and a new fuel tap filter/screen still seems impossible to find.
    Does anyone know of a source or a suitable 1/2'' in line filter ?
    Help would be appreciated

6. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Most fuel filters have a 5/16" nipple... should be more than enough flow. Wondering why you want 1/2".... should be able to find 5/16" just about anywhere.

7. Nickle

Nickle New Member

United Kingdom
    The hose from the fuel tap to the carbs is 1/2'' before it divides into two hoses to feed the carbs.

8. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    you'll definitely need to scrub clean the small filters just above the float needle seats as rust will accumulate there and stop or reduce fuel flow.