Ignition Barrel Issue VF500F.

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Hellapet, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Hellapet

Hellapet New Member

United States
    Map
    Hi guys, something I'd been dreading finally happened today. Sometimes when I go to start my bike the dash doesn't light up when the key is turned to ON. I have to wiggle the key counterclockwise to make it work, and then usually it is fine. Tonight, the problem was really bad in that when I went to start the bike it would start then the dash would go dim (but not off for some reason) and the bike would sputter and die. After a number of tries I got it to work and took off for home, but a mile from my home exit the lights went out, engine died and I had to wiggle the key back to life at 70mph!!! Cranking the bike again resulted in a loud BANG from gas that wasn't burnt and made it to the exhaust I suppose since the spark was gone for the split second before I hit the clutch. This happened several times for 20 odd seconds. Has anyone had this problem? I've found this barrel on ebay and want to get it if that's what will help. http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-VF-500-F-IGNITION-SWITCH-1984-1986-40-15840-/291080334271?hash=item43c5bd6bbf:m:ml_ngxUAg-LT9SOzh3SWb3w&vxp=mtr Let me know what y'all think.
    Thanks!

2. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Switch contacts are probably dirty or the grease has solidified. If you are careful you can take it apart and clean it (part #4), thus avoiding having a different key.
    [​IMG]

3. Hellapet

Hellapet New Member

United States
    Map
    Ok thanks! I'll probably take it apart and see. I think this will solve the problem and I'll be glad not to have 3 keys since my gas key is different from the other one.

4. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Even if the cleaning doesn't work, you could probably switch barrels with on on ebay and keep key the same.

5. Hellapet

Hellapet New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks Allyance, I took it apart today and cleaned it out and hit it with some di-electric grease. One of the little copper floating jumpers in there wasnt being pushed out by the spring so I lubed it up and steel-wooled everything and that worked. There is a little indent in the contact that must be for ON but the problem is solved for now. If I buy a new one, I can take it apart and use the same key like you said, but for now I'll wait. Maybe if I ever find one of these bikes at a scrap yard I'll pull this part and the helmet lock.
    Thanks again for the help!