Idle Speed?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by MrJoelieC, Jul 23, 2007.

1. MrJoelieC

MrJoelieC New Member

Map
    Dudes,

What should the idle speed be at? Mine seems kind of low? Not sure actually... I have stalled it a few times and it strikes me that possibly the idle is low????

Depending on if it's warmed up....Cold start I have never really stalled it... It runs slightly above 1000 RPM but once it warms up it wobbles from 1000 and below.....the idle speed adjustment seems stiff and I have never been able to adjust it while it's warm since it's so new (well for me..) I have not taken the plastics off to get at it better when the engine is hot....

Oh it's a 2002 BTW....

2. grinder

grinder New Member

Mine is an 05. It has idled once warm at 1400-1500 since new, about 2000 on fast idle when first warming up. Seems about right. Only time I stall is when I am being really stupid and it engages 1st with no problem.

3. Irvineguy

Irvineguy New Member

Map
    Spec for 6 gen idle is 1200 rpm +/- 100

4. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    If the bike is idling and not coughing, popping, etc... then the problem would seem to be clutch and throttle work on your part. I could be wrong, but when mine stalls, it is all me :redface: usually at a light when I'm not paying attention to riding like I should.

5. Arion

Arion New Member

The cold and warm idle speeds are too low, as they should be around 2000rpm & 1200rpm respectively. If the idle speed adjuster is stiff it may be because its been turned in all the way and has no travel left. That and the low idle speed seem to indicate that someone has previously tried to compensate for a failed fast idle wax unit.

Check the idle adjuster for travel and any damage. If the latter is alright then start the bike with the fuel tank tilted up. As the engine warms, the small shaft on the end of the fast idle wax unit should move, gradually allowing the starter valve levers to rest on the (warm) idle speed adjuster. If there is no movement of the fast idle wax unit, then change it.

The idle speeds should be checked with an external electronic tachometer. The bike's tachometer is not very accurate.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
  6. My25thVFRVision

My25thVFRVision New Member

My Honda service man told me around 1200 RPM also for my 07 25th. I thought it was low too. I just came off an 86 700 so I had nothing to compare to.

7. jeremy556

jeremy556 New Member

Use a Phillips screw driver to turn the idle adjuster. It works a lot better than the small plastic knob.

The tachometer on the dash reads a few hundred RPM high at idle (everywhere else too), so to get the Honda recommended 1200rpm idle, your dash should say 1400-1500rpm.

8. Wabbit1961

Wabbit1961 New Member

Map
    Just bought an '06 with 735 miles on it. I live in Florida. I have never seen it fast idle to warm up. My bike starts right up at about 800-850 rpm, then goes to 1200 and stays there... is this normal or should it kick in at 2000rpm when I first start it? Granted, right now my mornings are in the mid 70's.

Stan

9. jeremy556

jeremy556 New Member

Mine doesn't do a fast idle unless air temp is <60F

10. Wabbit1961

Wabbit1961 New Member

Map
    OK, thanks... I'm not gonna worry about it much till we have a cold snap in the 50's this winter. :biggrin:

My 2005 Suzuki Vstrom always kicked up about 2000rpm in the morning, even in warm weather, then immediately dropped down to idle. That's why I was concerned. Thanks again.