I think R/R and I need help.

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by teirich, Sep 2, 2010.

1. teirich

teirich New Member

I have had a problem with my bike recently since I got it. It will keep charged for a while and then occassionally it will die when I am coming to a stop light or stop at all. Then it will sometimes not start up for me and today I now have it parked waiting for help to get it going. How do I know if it is the R/R or possibly the alternator that I need to fix?

2. Jakobi

Jakobi New Member

Is your battery charging? We need some more information, e.g. year of the bike, previous work done, how it runs otherwise, environmental conditions, etc. At this point I'd say your idle is set too low or you have a carb/fueling issue.

-Jake

3. teirich

teirich New Member

It is a 99. It happened before and I charged the battery over night and it ran for probably 500-600 miles. I have only had the bike for 2 months and I havent dont any work on it. I know that it does have the upgraded R/R that people have talked about before. When I am out on the road it runs great, no problems with acceleration or anything. I live in Kansas City so it has been hot and humid this summer. But today it was cooler and I was riding it in 70-80 degrees. The bike heat doesnt ever get above 215 and that is only when riding in traffic, out on the open road it stays around 180 or so.

4. teirich

teirich New Member

If it were a problem with the idle why do you think that it wouldnt not be able to start right now? What should the idle be set at as well?

5. Jakobi

Jakobi New Member

I suspected idle because if it's low enough it won't stay running. Idle should be 1200 +/- 100 rpm. Will it start with the fast idle lever? You say you charged the battery overnight and the problem went away. Have you checked the voltage when it's running?

-Jake

6. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I have an older bike than yours. Replaced my battery, and R/R. Didn't notice any charging problems for most of the summer until the last couple weeks.

I picked up a $5 volt meter from Harbor Freight to start watching the charge status on the bike. Found that I can ride about 100 miles before she quits charging. Let the bike cool off, still no charging. Recharge on the battery tender, then the charging starts working normally again. Dam gremlins

Probably time for a VFRness for me. I'd recommend you pick up a cheap volt meter too.

[​IMG]
    Alternator/Battery Tester

I will probably mount this thing on my dash at some point to monitor battery and charging status

simple LED christmas tree type display

7. PorscheBob

PorscheBob New Member

United States
    Map
    Save yourself a lot of time by typing "regulator" in the

Advanced Search in the upper right hand corner of this page.

Also, do the VFRness. End of problem.

Carry on ~

8. teirich

teirich New Member

I have not checked the voltage when the battery is charged but am planning on getting a meter and checking it after I charge it in the next day or two. I think you are right and my idle is a little bit low as well.