I need ur input on power and ergonomics.

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by rocket man, Jul 3, 2006.

1. rocket man

rocket man New Member

Hi i need ur opions on buying a 2005 or 2006 vfr 800. My question is i am 6'1 230 lbs. is the vfr ergonomics and power going to be a problem. I like speed and handling.

2. rc74racer

rc74racer New Member

Ergos should be fine I'm 6'3" 200lbs never had a problem on long rides. As far as speed and handling it's as quick as any 600 out there until the top end. Handling is no where near as precise as a 600 or new litre bike it's heavier and harder to turn in but still a nice handling bike. It's a great sport touring bike one of the best ones out there but if you are looking for mostly sport you should get something else.

3. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    I'm 6 foot even and was 205lbs till I dumped 20lbs. The VFR can handle the weight just fine in fact it feels more flickable with a passenger at times. Performance is strong enough for most unless you plan to race. It even does well on the track against pure sport machines. It all comes down to the rider till you reach the limits of the machine, which are pretty high.

Check out this pic! 1998 VFR800FI
    I'm not dragging the pegs in this photo but they did touch down hard and even ground off the rear brake pedal. No wobbles or insecurity at all! Just haulin ass. Great bike, average rider = good times!:biggrin:

http://vfrworld.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/1147/cat/515

4. Kevin_70

Kevin_70 New Member

hi rocket man - I just bought a 06 VFR after riding pure sport bikes for the last 6 years. I'm 6' and around 225 and I'm plenty happy with the performance and comfort so far, keep in mind I'm following the break-in procedures still but I can tell this baby will be keeping me happy for a looooong time. I've mostly played around in some twisties so far and handling is top notch, still getting used to the linked brakes though. I'm most impressed with the smoothness of the motor and power, what a nice change after riding I4s.

5. malcster

malcster New Member

Map
    6'3''185lbs and love the the viff, recommended vfr's by a Ducati freind that races a cbr600rr,It's a comfortable sportbike for a larger person.Can't imagine anything better!

6. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm 6'4" and 230 and I think the VFR is a great compromise bike. It's a very comfortable bike for a larger guy. I think it has better ergos than say a Hayabusa or a ZX-12. As far as power goes I agree with rc51, it's comparable to a 600 until the very top, but way easier to ride in traffic. One of my friends has a new R6 and she has to work a lot harder to maintain the same pace in traffic. I would like a little more power (it's like money, right?) but could not find a more powerful bike that fit me as well. The VFR's handling is steady in the turns and progressive with out being harsh. If you want a seriously fast bike with razor sharp handling go with one of the liter sport bikes. If you want a great bike that you can ride all day and still have a blast on twisty roads get the VFR.

7. Paul04vfr

Paul04vfr New Member

I'm 6'1" and weigh about 260, the ergos and power seem to be fine. But this is my first bike and i've only hade it 2 yrs. I have ridden a hayabusa once. Me and a friend at work traded bikes at lunch. I was too scared to see what the bike was like power wise(low rpm seemed about the same as mine). But my thighs seemed to be too tall and not fit right against the tank they hit against the part of the tank near the top where it flairs out. But I do very much enjoy my 04 vfr:biggrin: