i need some help

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by synaptik, Dec 30, 2007.

1. synaptik

synaptik New Member

ok .....
    so it was a beautiful day today outside so i decided to go for a ride ... about 70 miles in when i stopped at a stop light the bike dies and i cant get it to start ,,, it is then when i realize that the clutch lever is not doing a damn thing. it has tension in it but does not seem to engage, i had no truck or trailer able to come get me so i had to make it home without using the clutch .... which worked fine until i had to stop then i had to pop the clutch from neutral and take off to keep it from dying again ... the gears cycle fine when the bike is moving but it is a PITA to get into neutral .... wth is wrong with my bike???????

i am sure it is some simple connection from the clutch lever back but i am unsure on this type of bike ... :frown:

85 vf500f

2. chickenvoodoo

chickenvoodoo New Member

Check the clutch fluid first. If it is low or leaking then the clutch lever will not move the shift pin.

Check the oil level, the clutch pack is ment to be soaked in oil, if it is low it may cause the pack to stick together.....

Good luck, and at least the tranny is good. Replacing the clutch is not to bad. It is located on the right hand side of the bike behind the cover. If you take that cover off, i would suggest draining the oil first. It helps to keep the garage clean.

3. synaptik

synaptik New Member

ok so i am an idiot ..... where do i check for clutch fluid?

am i just checking engine oil?

4. masonv45

masonv45 New Member

Sounds like you have air in your lines.

To check your clutch fluid, open the left Master Cylinder where the clutch handle is located. It should say something like "Use DOT 3 0r 4 Fluid Only". Brand new, the fluid should be clear (unless it is Honda fluid - it's tea colored). If the fluid is darker than tea colored, or low in the Master Cylinder, then buy a small bottle of Dot 3 or 4 and fill to the line, set the cover over the Master Cylinder to prevent splashing and see if your clutch works.

Brake fluid will eat paint and discolor plastic so cover everything up well.

You should be able to move the rear wheel by hand with the clutch lever pulled in. It will take a good initial effort but then should spin smoothly. If you cannot move it at all by hand, then you need to bleed your clutch or you have other issues. Your manual should cover how to bleed your clutch. Better is to have a knowledgeable bike mechanic do it while you watch/help.

Tip: The phillips screws are usually stuck pretty good. Make sure you have a good tip to your screwdriver and get a good grip and bear down hard while turning. Replace with countersunk allen bolts.

5. chickenvoodoo

chickenvoodoo New Member

Also follow the lines from the clutch lever down to the laft side cover looking for leaks.

As MasonV45 said, you can test to see if the whell moves by squeezing the clutch and spinning the wheel, Just make sure you are in a gear first.

and check the oil level via the dip stick on the right side. Unscrew it, pull it out and wipe it off. Stick it back in without screwing it in and pull it back out to see if the oil level falls between the two lines.

6. synaptik

synaptik New Member

i am an idiot ... lol .... on my cruisers my clutch is all manual no hydraulics at all, so i didn't even check there for fluid, i don't have a manual ... but there is no fluid at all in the reservoir so i will try to fill it today ... do i have to have a speed bleeder to bleed it or can it be done without one? since i am sure there will be air in the lines now ... means one of those leaks i saw was prob brake fluid and not oil :)

oil level is fine i check it every day before i ride since i have those small leaks

7. masonv45

masonv45 New Member

If you have brake fluid leaks down there, then your slave cylinder is probably leaking. Get it fixed pronto - it can corrode the slave cylinder's pushrod and tear the seal.

Do a search on slave pushrod fix to see what the fix entails.

No, you do not need speedbleaders to bleed the clutch.
    Tips:
    1. Don't pull the lever all the way to the grip. Leave 1/2" space between the lever and the grip.
    2. Burp the banjo bolt. Air usually gets trapped there.

Oh, and get yourself a manual...
    Haynes: http://www.themotorbookstore.com/50vfour19.html.
    And www.helm.inc has the Honda shop manual.

8. eddievalleytrailer

eddievalleytrailer Member

United States
    Map
    I'd burp the banjo bolt, then let it sit for a few hours, working the lever every 10 minutes or so. The air in the line should work it's way up in a few hours. My Sabre (same set up) has to have the clutch filled up about once or twice a year and has been that way for years. You can live with a tiny leak, but much more than a fill-up once or twice a year needs to be repaired. DO NOT GET BRAKE FLUID ON THE PAINT!!! Or you'll be in the market for a new paint job.