I like wrenching on my bike

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Airfiddler, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Airfiddler

Airfiddler New Member

Canada
    Map
    There's something about doing the regular maintenance, required adjustments, and fixing something on my bike that's relaxing. It's almost as good as riding the thing. Maybe a rainy day with some tunes and a beer. Nothing better !
    I've had new bike's where nothing is required for several years.....just can't seem to build the rapport with a new machine. When I work on an older bike,somehow it becomes mine ,and the rides seem that much more enjoyable. I had my last VFR for over 12 years. Big mistake selling it. Recently got a bone stock low Km 02 VTEC. couldn't be happier. I've got something to get exactly the way I want it. I don't understand guy's who let their bikes fall into ruin. poor/neglected maintenance, overdue oil changes, worn out and dry chain & sprockets etc. etc. keeping the bike in tip top shape ready for a trip to the beer store or across the country for me is where it's at.

squirrelman, Milepig, OOTV and 2 others like this.
  2. bk94si

bk94si Member

United States
    Agreed

3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I do all my maintenance and then some. I prefer to get my hands dirty than pay someone else to do it. You really get to know the ins and outs of a machine by working on it yourself.

4. Blackslide

Blackslide New Member

Finland
    I'm just paranoid and don't trust anyone else. Have had the thrill of experiencing so many "professional" mechanics screw simple things up. Nice to be told by the service rep., that this and that has been done. And back home the reality strikes. They billed for adding a qt of water and didn't do jack shit.

I'd rather do it myself and document it, so I know what has been done, and what hasn't.

Riding on the storm

OOTV likes this.
  5. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

There's a pretty compelling reason why the space shuttle wasn't built in an alotted .5 hours of time.