I hate my Fifth gen

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by rmcdougal, Feb 3, 2014.

1. rmcdougal

rmcdougal New Member

Seriously, I do not like it. I am not comfortable on it and I have no desire to ride it farther than across town. I really,really wanted to like this bike but I just can't do it. I liked my friends 4th gen. Why? I loved this bike when it came out in 98 but now I just want to get rid of it. Am I the only one?

2. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Must admit I'm puzzled by your post especially as the Gen 4s riding position is not a lot different.

I've had my except for Ohlins rear shock otherwise stock 5th Gen for 9 years and regularly ride 450 to 650 mile days comfortably with a single day max of 850 miles on tour. Many people add Corbin seats and riser bars to improve their comfort, what exactly about the Gen 5 is uncomfortable for you ?

3. rmcdougal

rmcdougal New Member

It does not fit me I guess. I am just shy of 6 feet and 220 lbs. After about mile 35 my wrists hurt, hands hurt, shoulders hurt, ass hurts, etc. My friend hated my bike too. I love the way it handles and everything but I want to go ride, something else. I hurt worse than I did on my xr400 dual sport after a 150 mile day ride. I don't get it and no one else does either.

4. revguy

revguy New Member

Canada
    Map
    Set your bike up to fit you...... get some heli bars or rise the ones you have , adjust your levers so they fit your hands and your natural angel to grab them. There are lots of seating options out there.................. I ride mine usally no more than 2 hrs at a time on trips then stop for 5 min. to stretch with no problems ............ but I am 5'7'' 165 lbs. and have driven daylight to night fall like that for days ............... oh god when is this snow going to leave so I can ride again......

5. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    Tell me what curb that piece of crap is parked on and I'll take it off your hands.
    Seriously now. I liked my bike when I first saw it, took for a spin and loved it. Brought it home and hated riding it, too heavy, clumsy and just not my kind of bike. I did prefer to ride my other bike as this one was just not cutting it for me.
    Sold my other bike and end up with the interceptor only. Since I hate driving due to traffic, I had no choice but to ride the only one I had. That was three years ago and I can't be happier with any other bike now. Didn't take me long to get used to the viffer. So much so that we been to several states and several day-rides together. Life is good.
    How long have you had yours? May be is a matter of getting used to it, adding different grips, different handle bars and making small changes?

6. rmcdougal

rmcdougal New Member

I have had it a year and I have done two 200 mile days and a couple 150 mile days. I bought some lsl bars and I couldnt get them to work without too much extra work and money so I put the stock ones back on. I wish for my way too small ninja 500 back. Sadly I have no desire to spend money on it and make it fit me anymore. I just want to sell it and move on to something else. I have my eye on an RD350. But I sat on a vstrom and really liked it. I planned on riding this to my dads, who is 300 miles away and there is no way I could do it safely with as fatigued as I get.

I really really wanted to like this bike and it saddens me that I do not. Just burned out and over it. I have bags too. I wanted to go camping on it. :confusion:

7. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    If you are used to riding bolt upright as you would on an XR perhaps you may need retrain or strengthen your core muscles to be used to leaning forward a little as you do on a VFR. Belows link has some simple suggestions on reducing aches while riding that may or not help.

Reducing muscle aches while motorcycle riding:
    http://www.examiner.com/article/reducing-muscle-aches-while-motorcycle-riding

8. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    You're not comfortable on the VFR, so your solution is to go back to even smaller bikes? That's a new one.

Don't get me wrong, I love smaller bikes. They're alot of fun, and I have a few. But comfort isn't one of those line items in the "pros" column for the tiny bikes, lol.

9. rmcdougal

rmcdougal New Member

There are a lot of things that the 500 did well and a lot that it was not so good at. WAY undersuspended and brakes were mediocre at best. It was too small for me but it was comfortable and I miss that. I am not going back to one tho, unless it is a trackday bike. I just have this feeling that if I changed the seat, bars, pegs, etc I would still find myself not liking the bike still.

10. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    I'm sorry to hear it.
    Some bikes are just not suited to some people.
    Did you take it for a ride before you bought it?
    There are many 50, 60 and even 70 year olds riding the 5th gen that would disagree with you about how good these bikes are for sports touring.
    I can easily do a 6 to 8 hour day on mine without a problem and without any modifications to the ergonomics, except for a made to measure seat, and I'm 51 years old but only 5'6".
    Maybe you're not suited to the riding position of any sports touring bike, and are better of with a trail bike or the like.
    I'm sure someone will take it of your hands and give it a loving home.

11. Andrew_rc46

Andrew_rc46 New Member

Am I the only one who thinks... If you don't like it get rid of it! People on here know all you need to know about owning and running a 5th gen, life would be boring if we were all the same! Vstroms are a different kettle of fish (apples and oranges)

12. roryforde

roryforde New Member

I think I can empathize with the OP; I just swapped my 4th Gen (late model 750) for a 2001 5th Gen, and I have to say it does not feel as comfortable. I compared the two here (http://cycle-ergo.com/) and the seat height is 1.1" taller on the 800. Now I only have the 5th Gen for a few weeks, and have not had the weather to take it for a long blast yet. It DOES feel great when its going, but in slow traffic that extra 1" makes it feel a little more top heavy. I absolutely loved the VFR 750 - had it for 3 years - but it let me down a couple of times and was getting tatty and I needed to change anyway. I want to love the 800 equally, but I am finding out that it is not the same bike..and will have to give it time..

13. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
  14. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Actually the problem is going from an XR straight to the VFR, mid step should have been a SV650S, rides much longer than 250 miles felt like a torture rack. The VFR on long distances was an instant relief after the SV.

15. jev.

jev. over there

United States
    Just sell it and get what you want. Life's too short to hate anything, so do what makes you happy and don't worry about it. Simple.

16. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I got an EX500 that I enjoy, but compared to my VFR, there is no comparison. VFR=Space Shuttle, EX500 is an early VW Bug. Did 300 mile days on EX when it didnt have an aftermarket shock along and I was fine. EX is super balanced and does not overwhelm your senses when you ride the shit oot of it, it almost stops by itself really (after market rotor and steel brake line.) 120 mph on a good day, otherwise its 115 mph pretty much all the time. I even had one as a race bike :smile:

VFR is in a class by itself, no reason you cant get the seat and bars/foot controls to your liking. VFR is a true sports touring bike that could hang with some of the 3/4 sport bikes of its day back in the early 90s. I was oot on mine the other day and looked down to see 140 mph from it.

If you hate it, get rid of it. Plain and simple.

17. VFR Love

VFR Love New Member

United States
    I was miserable on my 6th gen when I got it. I'm 6'1" and felt like I was doing push-ups riding it.

Putting beefier straight rate springs kept it from sagging too much and nose diving when slowing down. At your weight it's likely the factory fork springs are WAY too soft.

I added risers and regret not going for heli-bars.

Seat isn't too bad but it's flatter than a 5th gen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    It seems that no bike is perfect out of the box but with some work most of them can be adapted to suit the riders needs. On occasion that just isn't the case and the person must move on.

I have to ask the OP, were you looking for our support and advice to adapt the bike or a "so long and thanks for all the fish" kinda response?

Reading between the lines, it seems that it isn't just the ergos that have set you off against the 5th gen so perhaps this is just like the girl friend that looked all the business but didn't perform elsewhere, if you get my drift, and there is nothing left to do but sell her off.

You will still be welcome here to share your experiences. A number of members have done the same and continued to support the forum. Hell most of us have owned other bikes and talked about them here so have at er dude.

Just my 2 cents of course...

19. VFR777

VFR777 New Member

Map
    You're not the only one bro...The way it sets now, this spring that sucka is going up for sale. I have a 6th Gen.

20. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Life is too short to be unhappy with your bike, try this three step plan to rectify the problem.
    1: kick bike over
    B: jam lit road flare into tank
    Lastly: call insurance company and get bike you like with money

:thumb: