I dropped my beloved vfr 1200!!!

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Saul, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Saul

Saul New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Yes, it has finally happened. I dropped my Red Lady, so foolishly too. I was on a steep incline, very steep and it turned to the left sharply and as I was lent over I hadn't given the bike enough revs and it stalled and I fell to the left, I sort of lowered it to the tarmac with my left leg taking the strain, and boy don't I know it too. I also managed to crush my right middle finger, nasty wound to the end of the finger and it's black: For the life of me I don't know how this happened. I've knocked work on the head for a few days as I ache like fuck down my left side and I'm limping. I'm 62 next week and sorry to say, I feel it. I forgot to mention the bike isn't damaged much, the crash bungs I fitted to the fairing did their job, just the gear lever slightly bent? In a strange kind of way, I'm glad to have dropped it as it has got it over and done with without massive damage. I've been riding the bike for eight months now so I was aware of a possible fall.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Thumbs likes this.
  2. REVTMOLO

REVTMOLO New Member

United States
    Map
    Man I hate hearing stories like this. I dropped mine a few months ago In a parking garage. Some guy was illegal parked and I had to maneuver around him to get at the card reader to open the gate. I had to reach over pretty far and when I was slipping back over the bike I lost balance and down it went.

I got a couple of nice scratches to look at every day as a reminder.

Time heals wounds but scratches... They just keep on keeping on... :D

3. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    I hope you get well soon.

Until you drop it three times, I don't believe you qualify for an entry onto Randy's elite "you dropped it how many times" list.

If nothing else this demonstrates the value of frame sliders.

As for the bent lever - if you have access to a vice then if you take your time, you should be able to slowly straighten things out. Just use some soft timber on the faces of the vice to avoid leaving marks on the lever. Once it is back straight, you may want to release and then retighten the lever mountings just enough so that they are adequately secure for normal use, but with a firm push will give, so that if the bike falls over, the mounting will pivot harmlessly out of the way, rather than bend or snap off.

Obviously dealers will pretty much nail those suckers in place which increases the chance of follow on sales replacing broken levers.

Its done now - so don't let it put you off enjoying such an amazing motorbike.

SkiMad

4. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry Saul, you sound worse then the bike. Ain’t much fun hurting ourselves at this age.
    Finger sound the worst.
    It’s kind of like crashing, it’s not if it’s when.
    Dropped mine the first year backing out of a parking spot and glanced my right turn signal on a pole,over I went.
    Sux
    Feel better man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Saul

Saul New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I feel a little weary @ the moment, but not too bad considering. Thanks for your comments as it makes me feel a little better, as though I'm not the only person in the World who drops their bikes stupidly.

6. Saul

Saul New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I'm feeling a little weak and aching @ the moment, and my finger is throbing, like a V4 1200cc engine haha. Years ago, I would have laughed this off but I know now with the years passing by little scrapes arn't little scrapes and you need to rest for them to pass by which, with increasing years takes much longer. I'm off to Whitby in September, Bram Stoker country, suck some blood. I live in South Wales UK so it will be a long ride. Hopefully, I shall be fit and healthy for the ride. Tanks for your comments.

REVTMOLO likes this.
  7. Saul

Saul New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    We don't get many scratches @ our age do we, just hurt prides, and aches and broken bones and a peer into the future of possible death on two wheels. I watched the video of this chap in Norfolk Uk who died riding down this road at 98 mph, and a car turned across his path and he died! His mother put the video on Utube. Sad. I'm now supping whisky and soda and with a couple of co-codamols ( not an ideal mixture!) and I feel slightly numb but happy. Tanks for you message, much welcome.

REVTMOLO likes this.
  8. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Best of luck to you, Saul....the only way you can go is forward. Can't put toothpaste back in the tube.

Thumbs likes this.
  9. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Oh if that helps here is 39 pages more..

https://vfrworld.com/threads/you-dropped-it-how-many-time.44298/

10. REVTMOLO

REVTMOLO New Member

United States
    Map