Hwy 53 Northern Oregon

Discussion in 'USA - Pacific Northwest' started by R.W., May 27, 2008.

1. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    This is my first video, didn't think it came out to bad for my first attempt and I was quite pleased with the lack of wind noise, Unfortunately Hwy 53 was wet so we had to ride it at a very subdued pace instead of attacking it with extreme prejudice like we usually do. But if you've never seen Hwy 53, here's your chance to see one of Oregon's finest set of twisty's, enjoy...

YouTube - Northern Oregon

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  2. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    thats better.. good job, ya gota love VFRs. Better yet one has to love Oregon's roads

3. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    are you really close to Oregon or did you just ride a long way to do that hwy? have you got good routes for us to come from WA to CA in Aug?

4. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for sharing the video. The quality is pretty good and how the video shakes sometimes makes me feel like I'm really there compared to the super-smooth videos I see out there. Very nice!

5. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    That road is in Shorty country and about 140 miles from my house, total miles for me that day was 440, I'll be making a lot more video's this summer so you'll see some of our favorite railing roads, the route I have planned for us will make Northern California look like I-5 :eyebrows:

P.S. In that video I was following a Ducati 848 & 749, the 749 in front of me was Ben from our Northern California trip last year

6. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    LOL RW. rode a long ways. he likes it down there. That's right you're coming up aren't you Hmm. Hey RW. whats should we throw at em? Not to thread jack, but heres one Took at the end of last year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_sAjMzSEGY

7. WLVRINE

WLVRINE New Member

Map
    Nice work. I found myself swiveling in my office chair with every turn.

8. chomper

chomper New Member

United States
    Map
    awesome video.... amazing how clear it is. those roads look fantastic!

9. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    Holy mother of (BLEEP) that is one sweet road, albeit it would kick my a$$ three ways from Sunday. If that was you guys taking it easy then I have a lot of learnin to do.

Like the video and yes very little road noise which is very nice cause road noise kinda sucks. Like that your exhaust is quite prevalent too :thumb:

Was thinking of getting one of those cool suction mounts to mount on the side my hardbag. It would leave the camera dangling way out there but should make for some decent video... until the bugs ruin the lens anyway.

Well done R.W. I like it.

10. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Good job on the video R-Dub! It was a good way to spend 6.10 minutes before I went to work, lol.

I have been researching video gear for the last 2 months - I want a setup that doesn't look through the screen. I have narrowed it down to a couple systems that won't require the video to be taken through the screen (my red screen makes that method unavailable).

The intermediate conditions looked like they may have put a bit of a damper on your ride. If you do ever make it down here, I have some awesome roads to show you - and you won't have to ride 140 miles to get there!

Thanks for sharing, it is much appreciated. Glad you had a good time and I hope you're over that flu you had.

11. whitesmokeyzf

whitesmokeyzf New Member

12. Newc606

Newc606 New Member

I've heard that log trucks are running this road regularly during the week. Where they enter can sometimes be nasty. Was there much gravel on the road? Anything that a rider needs to watch out for. I've been wanting to ride this road going East from Mohler but haven't yet had a weekend and have been shy about the week days because of the report of log trucks. What's your take on this?

13. murphyslawyer

murphyslawyer New Member

Map
    Very nice. One day soon I'll ride that road. Is that a north-south or west-east direction? I need a road trip to Chico from Seattle and I'll want to stay off of I-5...

14. VFess

VFess New Member

Map

15. buzzy

buzzy New Member

Wa Hoo! one of my favorite roads...great vid :) It's almost in my back yard

16. izzypop

izzypop New Member

Super Sweet!
    I gotta hit that highway this year. Thanks for the video :)

17. whitesmokeyzf

whitesmokeyzf New Member

I have been riding it for three years and Late June to Oct. It pretty good, otherwise lots of crap on the road. I haven' seen a log truck on this road, not to say that they aren't around but haven't seen any. A couple of pointers:

The place were I took the Video is so tree'd that the cops can't hide. Right before I shot the vid a cop had past me when I was setting up the camera on the side of the road and waiting for my traffic break. When I hit the straight at the end of the set Mr. cop was waiting there. I always stop there just to disapoint them. Once you hit the straight im talking about you can turn right and go to the top of Mary Hill (or peak cant remember but its a well known road).

Hwy 53 is east/west.

Always pull over at the bottom straight and Do the "Traffic Break" thing. For some reason people in cars think that they are driving fast, and you will be bored & feel extreamly cheated following a car the whole way.Besides theres not much room for them to pull over anyway.

Anyone that wants ride this road I would be glad to tag along. I like riding 34 to walport, west on Hwy 1 and then east on Hwy 36. 36 is just as good. :wedgie:

18. howl

howl New Member

it is a fun road! i rode it sunday morning -- good surface and sunny skies made for a fun day.

has anyone been out nf46 toward hood lately? is it open yet?