how to save your R/R

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by gll429, Nov 25, 2010.

1. gll429

gll429 New Member

post was removed

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  2. Davis5g

Davis5g New Member

Map
    I installed the VFRness from wiremybike and strapped a computer fan just like the one you did to the new ricks motorsport rectifier I picked up. I've put around 2,000 miles on the setup with no problems so far. I agree with you on the heat issue, the fan is the way to go.

3. ZEN biker

ZEN biker New Member

Good write-up, but I have some things to add:

If your going through all the effort to clean the contact blades, Please buy some dielectric grease and fill the empty contact block before you place the terminals back into it, then squeeze a healthy glop of grease into the other half of the connector. This will prevent water, dirt and oxygen from getting at the metal, preventing corosion.

Thermal compound is used sparingly, it is used to fill in the gaps in the macheined smooth r/r( kinda looks like a sawblade when under 10x mag) and the frame. Like in computers a thin (very thin, use a razor blade) coat on each surface with the excess scraped off will transfer more heat than a heavy coating. This is beacuse heat transfer paste is made with silicone which is an insulator (both electric and thermal).

4. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    This is a fix that a fella from OZ came up with about the time Sergeant Pepper taught the band to play Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

Anything new out there in Zenland we should know about?

5. gll429

gll429 New Member

OZ??
    i have been doing this mod since 1986 on just about every vfr i get my hands on.. except i cut off the connection blocks and hard wire the r/r to the stator using 12 gauge wires.

6. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    battery tender

just sayin

7. gll429

gll429 New Member

a battery tender wont save your r/r ..it will only save your battery.ergo charge it up.. so it can let drain out and leave you stuck in the middle of nowhere on a sunday night ..

8. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    u are using thermo paste between the frame and r/r?
    if your vfr is any thing like mine, if you sit in traffic for a few minutes your frame gets so hot it will literally burn to the touch. yours may be different than mine, but i dont think id want to be transferring heat from a 230 degree plus frame back into the r/r.
    i like all the other ideas though, but im lazy i just slapped on a vfrness after my stator fried... (still dont know if the r/r was the root cause or not, i just put a new on a new one to weed out variables)
    i am thinking about plugging in a fan into the vfrness accessory wire though.

9. ZEN biker

ZEN biker New Member

like candyredrc46 said my frame gets hot(warmer thani like to touch) if im sitting around in traffic(what little traffice there is here) so it may not be a good idea to thermo-bond the r/r to the frame, but on the other hand, the r/r dumps a lot of heat into the frame. My suggestion is to get a 1/8" plate of copper and a few mins with a vise and a hacksaw you could make a nice heatsink to go between the frme and the r/r.

billy, zen-land has visa requirements that you fail to meet. If you can not meet these requirements then you can not have access nor information from within.

10. Badbilly

United States

LOL.. That information has been floating around for 20 years. A real Zen Master would be PMing the hightech pencil neck about how to keep from offing himself on that POS bike that he thinks is in great shape. Maybe you could even do a book and title it "Zen and the Art of Computer Maintainence."

11. gll429

gll429 New Member

first up.. those of you complaining about the heat on the sub frame.. you both have 6th gens.. move the r/.r to the back of the bike or into the airflow up front.. and this bike already has an aluminum plate heatsink...which is shown in the heat compound pic.

12. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    what-evaaaa

13. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    Iwonder that too how does a battery tender save your RR i can see it keeping your battery charged...but how does it help the RR?

14. ZEN biker

ZEN biker New Member

Gll,
    yes it does have an aluminum heatsink contact pad, that is where a heatsink attaches, This is not in dispute, the amount of heat transfer compound is. Less is more in this case.
    If the heatsink pad was adequite the R/R would not be attached to the frame directly and they would not burn up. Hence your post on adding a fan to the top, which will help. My suggestion on the copper plate is valid, copper is a much better thermal conductor, and a heatsink also needs surface area to dissapate that heat. There is no right answer to this problem yet. Honda does not see this as an issue, so it is up to the individual users and maybe third party engineering firms to rectify this issue.

Badbilly,
    I do not know what I have done to piss you off, but I sense you must have had a terrible childhood, there is no love or compassion in your posts. From this I must infere it is also true in your life. Your choice of ridicule instead of cooperation envinces this as fact. Just because things have been discussed before does not mean that all the information is there nor that it is correct. my point of fact is Wiki-pedia. From others we can correct ourselves, learn from our mistakes and help those whom need it. I am not always right, but when I know something that will help I do offer it. You do not have to take it, just ignore it if you do not wish to see another perspective. That is your choice.

15. gll429

gll429 New Member

you can do that.. or .. just buy a duc 996 for vfr750.. (not sure if it will fit a 800 or 1200.) and get an r1 r/r and hard wire it and ground it as shown above..thats the best set up. PERIOD![​IMG]

16. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    The RR and battery are all part of a charging "system". Failure or weakness at one point puts undue stress and strain on another. Using a battery tender does more than just keep your battery charged. It helps to prevent sulfation in the battery and also makes life easier on the RR. If the RR doesn't have to charge your battery, it will not generate as much heat and will not draw as much on the wire harness.

17. gll429

gll429 New Member

ummm
    close.. but no banana..
    the stator is going to keep pumping out juice no mater what the bat voltage is and the r/r is going to keep changing the juice.. a fully charged battery will have less voltage drop for running the bike . ergo a higher break even speed.
    a proper charging bike doesnt need a batterytender unless its going to sit for 3 months.

18. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    what-evaaaa

so sorry to question His Excellency

you're that guy who gets hired to a new job and walks in telling everyone how to change the place before shutting his trap and waiting around to see if he can learn something first.

19. gll429

gll429 New Member

just giving you the facts, no attitude on my part... just what i learned at MMI

20. Badbilly

United States
    OK, I'll do a five minute Zen guilt trip and a 500 word essay on why my childhood was terrible. The short version is that we were so poor, all we had to eat at times were rocks.

Ignore? You have to be shitting me! You have become my favorite amateur psychologist for the next month or so.

I know you expected me to fire back with some CV or raison de entre' so as to provide fodder for another couch session. Sorry bout that. It's the net dude..

Ever think of using a standoff where the R/R touches the frame member? You also might wish to consult Wiki on the laws of thermodynamics. Yep, copper is a great conductor.. Lots of 12v muffin fans with heatsinks for a fiver at any computer shop.

"Japan does not see this as an issue" LOL.. Not when "they" have sold who knows how many R/R's over the years.. I wonder what Wiki would have to say about a recall. I am reminded of the Ford exploding gas tanks when Ford decided it was less an issue to pay off the individuals rather than recall the cars.

One might think too that if one is pretentious to have a Zen handle one might be aware of face when it comes to the Japanese. You can find out more about this on Wiki.