how to gut a 5th generation muffler

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by taylor65, Mar 1, 2012.

1. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    I have seen plenty of threads on how to gut a sixth gen but can't seem to find any on the 5th gen. If anyone knows of a thread or how to do it sure would appreciate it. I have a spare muffler ready to be hacked. Also can a gutted muffler hurt your motor or will the fuel injection compensate for it? I have a 98 with only a k&n filter from stock. Thanks

2. Smokeghost

Smokeghost New Member

im also interested in this (hard bags mean that i really dont have flexibility on my exhaust and i would like at least SOME noise from the can)

3. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    Well I have opened up my spare muffler and can tell you that there are three chambers in there. From here I'm not sure what to do . I have thought of getting a straight pipe about the same diameter as the outlet pipe and drilling a bunch of holes in it similar to a two stroke muffler but I'm not sure what it will sound like. If you have any suggestions would like to hear it?

4. Smokeghost

Smokeghost New Member

how about some pics of the opened muffler?

possibly you could drill through the baffle walls with a unibit/dremel just to open it up some?

5. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    I will try to post some pics of it. But it travels out does 180 and goes back towards the front and then 180 again and out the tail pipe. It is very restrictive which I'm sure was designed to be for emissions or to keep sound down. But I'm not looking for anything real loud that is what stops me from buying an aftermarket muffler. I'm afraid I will spend the money and then either not like the sond or it be to loud. If you search for 6th gen muffler gut you get a bunch of them with sound clips etc. But nothing for the 5th. Which sems to me would be easier afterall its only one muffler. I guess I will try to experiment and just see what happens.

6. Rubo

Rubo New Member

You can buy real decent slip on for less then $130.lighter and will sound better.
    Gutted stocks usually sound horrible like something metallic with holes in them.I did it to my old SV650 and it was intolerable.I end up buying a slip on.
    Go on ebay lots of choices.

7. VFRod

VFRod New Member