How ticked off would you be

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Keager, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    So, I went on a ride today with a bunch of local sport bikers. There was a total of 3 of us that met up with a group from a local web site (http:\\Quad City Sportbikes • Index page) so a grand total 15 of bikers. I know, not very many, but then again, this is a small site. I used to work with one of the guys that is one of the first members of it. I guess, not 100% sure about that. It was a pretty hard riding bunch of people. triple digit straits and 60 - 80 corners. "Ride your own speed"...riiiight. Some time into it, we get separated by a 18 wheeler. One of the guys that I ride with (I know retarded move here, but, his own choice, and there was plenty of paved road) went around him on the right. Eventually the rest of us got around, caught up. We eventually stopped so some could gas up, and they came over and were talking with him about we don't ride that way, don't do it again, you'll be asked to leave...then tuns to the other guy I'm with (who is over there defending him) and tells him that he needs to wear a lid. OK, fine, I know I'll get blasted for this, but as I've said before it's his choice on what to wear, how he rides, blah blah blah. Then another guy chimes in - the one in every group - that knows all about riding, and motorcycles, and the proper way to do this, that, and everything.

Now, he is talking to a, well, a genius pretty much. This guy has been working on and riding bikes since he was probably 16. Honda certified mechanic, and has been around bikes at this point for 25+ years. One of the two kinds of guys you want to ride with. The other? an EMT. He's the other guy I came with.

Back to the story..

So, just about 10 - 15 miles on up the road from stopping, I'm coming around a turn pretty hot...to the only guy that I know (other than the other two I showed up with) in the ditch, with friend #2 over him - the EMT. I jump off, and I'm holding his neck still, just to be on the safe side. He's giving him the once over, as any trained EMT should do. Check pupils, check for fluid, punctures, swelling, damage to the jacket, helmet, hands, all over. As an EMT should. You know, the guy they just yelled at. What's everyone else doing? worried about his bike. It can wait. People first, bikes second.

Well, after verifying he's all OK, some cager has apparently already called it in. Other EMTs arrive. They are waived off. Fire trucks, ambulance, police, show up, as we are getting the bike zip tied back up. (The CBR1000 '06 pretty much totaled) but we also notice that the clutch reservoir is gone. So we tape it over, enough fluid (hopefully) to get him at least home. We all go up the road a bit to a side street, wait for county to show up, just calm down, feeling better nobody is badly hurt. He's going to be sore, no doubt. And then, while still waiting for county to finish up the report...all of his buddies leave. I couldn't believe it. All of them, except for me and the two that I showed up with. We couldn't believe it. You never leave anyone stranded like that. Well, we got him back home, took a while, but we got him to the EMT's house, loaded it in the back of his truck, wrecked bikes with no clutches = in town suckage.

I was just shocked and in disbelief that these people he always rides with would just leave him like that. I know I couldn't.

I wasn't there the night that one guy I used to ride with injured himself - badly ) lost control, bike went down in a ditch, launched it up & over a sto sign, landed in a creek, massive concussion, broken back, not good. One guy, a different EMT (now a neuro surgeon) rode in the ambulance with him, as he was higher rated EMT than any one on that crew. That's the way we roll.

I guess I'm never going to ride with them again, no big deal...

2. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    That seems like a large group to me. I like it better when the group consists of 5 riders or less.

Old guys... "been riding since xxxx so you don't know shit". Ok, maybe you know your stuff and maybe you don't but right now it doesn't matter because my ears just slammed shut.

Leaving a downed rider... dirtbags, plain and simple. I would not ride with them again.

3. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I almost totally agree with you Kreager. A couple of his riding buds should have stuck around. But understanding how he was in not to bad shape by your report, I really don't think the whole group needs to stick around. People who know everything tend to get in the way of commons sence when there are too many voices. But surely a couple well informed friends "should" have stuck around with him rather than leaving the burden on someone else who is lesser known to the rider. Good for you for helping out. I am sure if you were not a valued member of VFRW, you would have ridden off to.

Hooorrraaah VFRW people. You da man.

4. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    Rider down, get him home. If those were his "friends", who need enemies?

You made the right call. I wouldn't ride with that group again.

Jose

5. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Glad you stick around and help out the down riders. You make a good choice by not riding with that group again. I would not either.

6. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    Agree with Scuba, good on you for helping a rider in trouble, even if, by your description, he brought it on himself.

Generally speaking, its not too hard to figure out which groups are going to spoil your afternoon in one way or another, but it appears from your description that you got kinda roped into this one. It happens. So again, good on you.

Ever been shooting with a group? Sorta the same thing.

Now you have one more "sea story" as we used to call them in the USCG days.

Anyone that has been riding for a while has a list in their head of groups better stayed away from when it comes to somewhat dangerous activities

Depending on your outlook that particular day, you hang with them or no.....however... its not fun for for folks to spring it on you like that.

7. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    yeah good folks here.... When I "Ahem " broke down the whole group waited for Reggie to show with the truck and got me loaded up.. I felt shitty with them all hanging around for the 45 minutes or so it took him to show up , but at least there was a pretty cute girl at the produce stand to look at while we waited....

8. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    Randy, no he was not hurt, well, just his pride. I'm sure he was sore. No, not everyone needs to end the riding day just because he went down, but, someone that he knew should of made sure he made it home safely. A clutchless bike on a bike that has weak shift forks to begin with is not a good thing.

Yes, the dump was his fault. He was taking the corner at too much of an angle, so he tried to lean over more to get back to the line that he originally was going for and just tucked the front end. He still has has old bike (F4i). Sad part was the fact that he just got this bike in April. It was the Blue/Yellow CBR 1000. It may be a track bike or something else soon.

It's amazing how bad plastic breaks apart....and how much zip ties and electrical tape will hold everything together.

9. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    What! No duct tape?........Glad he was not hurt.

10. coucours grad

coucours grad New Member

Map
    I agree with the "Dirtbags" prescription....

I'd not ride with them again.

11. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Hmm lets see now.... So one of their friends/riders goes down....everyones concerned more about the bike than the person....If by chance Keager you do ride with them again make sure you leave your wallet/money/credit cards at home in case you so happen to crash...... Just sayin'

12. smack doogle

smack doogle New Member

United States
    This is the reason I don't like people. I'm an asshole also but when people talk stupid or whatever, I have a tendancy to either walk away while they are talking to me or just call them out in front of thier mom and wife the bullshit they are talking. I'm no genious, and I don't know nearly everything but I can spot an asshat from a mile away.

This is also why when I ride, it's 98% of the time by myself. I don't hotrod unless I know the road really well and even then only when there is no traffic. I hate it when "ride your own ride" means to other people "green flag go go go!!!!!!!! race race race!!!!!"

Anyway, glad everyone was alright and sorry to hear about the ass clowns. You have a few good friends to ride with, leave the douches to ride with themselves.

13. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Pretty low of the friends to not offer to go get their truck or do something, but V4Bear hit the nail on the head.

Look who you were riding with! Riders who are doing triple diget straight line speeds and taking corners hotter than they should.

A complete disregard for other highway and road users; it just makes sence they will have disregard for a alleged friend who goes down.

Glad the dude wasn't too torn up. Hopefully he learns a lesson in all this.

BZ

14. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map

No.............Not really.... JB weld is fun to epecially when Marrib is around...."is this fixed yet.......snap//////x"

15. Rangerscott

Rangerscott New Member

They'd rather let someone die in a ditch than get a ticket for not having a license plate or some shit.

16. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    You were checking out her melons? How poetic. Riding in groups is kinda like being married to more than one person /someone has to lead and others have to follow, its kinda like a carefully choreographed dance that could end up with serious repercussions if exected poorly (thats why I hate dancing with the stars) Been on those rides up in new yawk state as well as in south FL.

As a motorcyclist, I am an independent thinker! If I knowingly left someone that I saw on a bike in a ditch, I would'nt be able to face my-self in the morning. That being said, I shy away from group rides usually, unless I personally know them. Keep der rubber side down, and der shiny side up :thumbsup:

17. lwatts

lwatts New Member

That story is unbelieveabe! I can't believe they just left him like that. Are most riders like that? If thats the case maybe we'll stick to the smaller rides. I couldn't even imagine leaving one of my friends on the side of the road for a flat tire let alone if they crashed and the bikes totaled. I hope he doesn't still ride with them. If he was smart he woud just continue to ride with you and your friends cause you all are prepared for anything with a mechanic and a EMT. Where you from were going to have to move there to ride safe with you.

18. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    Most riders, well, the good riders, don't leave people behind. I don't think he'll ride with us.

19. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    Back in June I got a flat tire on a Sunday morning. I was riding by myself. The first car that came by had four old ladies in it on their way back from church. They pulled over and asked me if I needed help!!! I couldn't believe it! My point is there are a lot of great people out there and you don't need to ride with slugs like that. You still "Meet the nicest people on a Honda" so skip the scum bags.