How much weeping is too much?

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by LayinLow, Apr 23, 2015.

1. LayinLow

LayinLow New Member

United States
    ......nooo not weeping from my face (well kinda), but weeping from my engine.:beguiled:

So my bike is a streetfighter vfr, thus having no belly pan. My bike is currently down waiting on several things. 1st it needs a new stator...which i addressed in another thread, so I know what needs to be done there. I also decided while its down for a period of time, to go ahead and get the PAIR system removed. To make that easier on myself I took out the whole exhaust AND even the monoshock for the first time. I am almost sure I am going to send that to Daugherty Motorsports for a full rebuilt with proper spring for my weight, so on a side note if anyone's done that let me know how it feels. ANYWAY back on topic i notice the bottom of the engine has some grime on it and since its now been sitting about a month, I noticed 1-2 drops of what looks like a combination of coolant and oil on the floor. Granted thats not really much of a leak for sitting a month, and most people would have 0 clue if they had a belly pan...it would fall in there and dry, sight unseen. Yesterday i got under there with some rags and carb cleaner and basically got the whole bottom cleaned for the most part. I did see a very small bit of coolant around the main seal between the pump and the engine body. Maybe a drips worth. Obviously the bottom of the engine was oily/gross ....and theres no real way of knowing if thats accumulated road oil etc etc or if my my "main seal" is weeping slightly givin that all the oils weight is on it 24/7. Lots of peoples cars leak crap and with no fairings...my engine bottom is gonna pick it up. Im not really actually worried anythings gonna hurt my bike obviously...but Im making a big deal out of it because if i decide to say replace that water pump seal, that means the price of the seal and a whole drain/fill worth of coolant...not to mention the pain in the butt hassle of it. Ive done it once already for a new pump when the outer seal was leaking. Has anyone else decided to replace that main oil seal or had any weeping from the main water pump seal?

2. LayinLow

LayinLow New Member

United States
    No ones got anything for me? lol. Just "in case" I ordered the stator gasket, the water pump seal, and the main oil pan gasket for the bottom. I was thiking about it and wouldnt the water pump leak oil at the main seal and not coolant? Tough call.....once i got it all cleaned up its not dripping any more so it must have had residual crap underneath...its making this harder!