How do you remove the stator cover? I can't get it off! 1999

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by vfr800stator, Apr 28, 2016.

1. vfr800stator

vfr800stator New Member

Hey guys! I'm new here. I have a 1999 viffer. I just added the vfrness and I'm trying to replace the stator but I can't get the cover off. I don't want to break the stator cover trying to remove it. (It's my only mode of transportation and I'm a broke 20 y/o) I've banged on the stator cover with a rubber mallet and nothing. There isn't much to grip onto and apparently it's magnetic. Would heating up the gasket help? I'm pretty desperate, so any links or advice is greatly appreciated! If I broke any forum rules, let me know. Thanks!

2. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    If you have all the bolts out, the gasket would be the only thing holding the stator cover on. The gasket is most likely to be stuck well to both faces so it will feel like it is all glued together, but it won't be, and you will probably destroy the gasket in the removal process.

Engine covers usually also have a couple of metal dowel pins to keep everything aligned, so the cover won't slide sideways. There is usually a pry point somewhere on the case that you could use for some extra leverage to pop it off.

When you whack the cover with the rubber hammer, did you hear the note change and go flat/dull? That should mean the cover is loosened and ready to come off.

Good luck.

3. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Hi --- dont try to pry it off. Get a piece of 2x4 about 6 inches long and set it against the side of the cover in a couple of directions -- tap it with the hard rubber hammer --- it should just pop off.

Cheers

4. GreginDenver

GreginDenver New Member

United States
    Map
    Yes, there's always a little reinforced tab (sometimes there are two) that the manufacturer provides for you to use when removing the cover. Usually the tab is located at a point on the cover that allows you to get a little swing at it without hitting anything else (which usually means it's toward the front or bottom of the bike).

I've seen a mechanic us a small slide-hammer tool (it had a hooked end on it and he used it by pulling the slide toward himself). He just hooked and held the slide hammer's hooked end on the cover's tab and gave a couple of light impacts with the slide hammer. I could hear the sound the hammer made go from a solid metallic sound to a hollow sound when the cover came loose. Just popped loose.

5. Grumpy old man

Grumpy old man New Member

New Zealand
    Map
    If you think the cover is hard to get off wait till get to enjoy removing the residual gasket from both faces of the mating surface

A big cup of patience is required so as not to damage the gasket surface

I ended up using a very fine razor blade and keeping it flat to the surfaces , No form of chemical I tried would remove the horrid green gasket even Gasket removal spray wouldn't touch it

The new Gasket I used silicone gasket goo very finely between the cover and the gasket and put a thin film of oil on the engine case side so if it ever needs to be removed again hopefully the gasket will stay in one piece

6. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    This is the Stator cover on my 6th Gen. The green bit running around the edge is the gasket and you can see the two wide bits which provide a suitable place to cautiously lever against and carefully release the sealing effect made by the cover gasket. I ended up using a pry-bar (actually an old bicycle tyre lever) to lever alternately at each location to work the cover off working against a bit of scrap wood to protect the engine case. As you can see be prepared for a small oil spill.

IMG_4165.jpg

Take your time - it will come off - asuming you have undone all the bolts!

Good luck

SkiMad

7. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    On a sixteen year old bike, the "gasket" may not be original or a gasket at all. Some of the "liquid gaskets" are very efficient. "Paper" gaskets sometimes react to mild solvents and a little soaking. Try painting the mating join with some standard paint thinner or kerosene.

Not lacquer thinner!!