How did you hear about the VFR, and why did you chose it?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Molsan, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Molsan

Molsan New Member

Map
    How did you hear about the VFR, and why did you chose it?

Just wondering how and why you came to chose the vfr. was it because it was sporty? was it because it was touring? was it the look?

Personally I went to a bike show and sat on as many bikes as i could, the VFR simply felt the best so i looked into it. next year i also went to the bike show to confirm that it was the most comfortable, other than the ducati st4, and a bmw all being comparable the vfr was head and shoulders above the rest. research also shinned favorable on the bike.
    Also touring was important as i had a fee trips planned...wish it came with hard bags.

So tell us your story.

2. soundmaster31

soundmaster31 New Member

literally found it by browsing craigslist for bike last summer. I was looking yamaha r6,r1, fjr and honda cbr 600/1000s and a 98 vfr happened to be available in the area. Did some research on it, found out it was bike of the year and what not, had the cool v4 engine with decent power and torque, all around capabilities.

Decided to drive 45 min to go look at the bike...didn't have the money. End of that story.

Two weeks later I find one 3 hours away on craigslist in Cleveland and a middle-aged guy (no offense to the regulars here :yield:) had a nearly identical bike for sale with a set of matching givi luggage...price was right due to higher mileage (27k mi -pssh, barely broken in i know now) and it was in good condition for being 9 years old and he only road two-up with his wife on it. Figured it was an ok deal and had everything I wanted and would be a good FIRST bike. :eek: Don't worry I'm a big guy (6'4 340lbs) so the bike wasn't going to be too overpowering for me. Besides anyone can ride whatever size bike as long as you know how to respect it and don't ride beyond your ability. (still doubting my ability for respect? I am driving big rigs for a job right now until flight school next year...and I'm only 22..hmm.)

yada yada yada. fast forward 5k miles later(not bad for 9months including a a full michigan winter in there...) and the bike is perfect. it's true love. I'm giving her the major upgrades this spring(see signature) and hope to get into some more technical riding and improve my skill this season. speaking of which...anywhere good to ride in southern michigan? it's nothing but flat lol.

anyway, this forum has been a huge help with everything. I really couldn't have picked a better bike(probably spoiled my taste for life lol) and I wouldn't have made it this far without all the helpful information and friendly users on here. For that, I thank all of you. :thumb:

3. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    I bought it for extended getaways (touring). I wanted a bike that wouldn't kill my neck, shoulders and wrists on week ride but would still make me grin in the curves. I also wanted a low-maintenance machine. The VFR was a natural choice. I bought my particular bike because it was a great deal.

4. aures000

aures000 New Member

Map
    A couple of years ago, I acquired a '85 Honda Nighthawk 450 to learn to ride. For a bike over 20 years old, it still runs great. Last year, my department at work hired a new employee, a wonderful person I now consider one of my best friends. One of the first days she worked, we began discussing motorcycles and she proceeds to tell me about her Ducati Monster 900 and her 2002 VFR. We went riding one day after work, she on the VFR and I on the Monster. I was thinking "THIS IS SOOOO COOL". :cool: After about an hour, we switched rides. As much as I liked the Ducati, I absolutely fell in love with the VFR. As of February 2008, the VFR is now mine. Her new beau rides a big Harley so she sold me the VFR and she now has a Sporty 1200 Low. I love the looks, the ride, the feel, the hard bags; everything about the Interceptor. I'm just glad she's a little on the short side or else she wouldn't have wanted to sell it.

5. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    I've been one thats always looking out for the next best thing in motorcycling that and I've always had a thing for engines, been around V4s and knew in the back of my mind a V4 motorcycle would be nice. So when I read and saw Honda came out with the Saber, I was going Cool I want one. But man I was so disappointed shaft drive with lame styling, so I stayed with my Z1, then Honda did what I was hoping, ala VF750F Now we are talking, besides it was cutting edge too. all thou I waited for the 1000cc version. Which has me saying isn't it about time Honda brought it back?

6. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    I wasnt really even looking at VFR's but one Honda Homecoming in the mid
    '90s came around and I got a test ride on a 3rd gen just for fun. (That was 1994.)It was like - OMG this bike is SUH--WEEEET! It hit me as kinda German/Swiss watch feel to it. Well, that did it, I had to put that on my must own list. I had to do some rearanging of cars and bikes (sell something) but finally I bought a near new '95. Now a VFR will be a permanant fixure in the garage, no matter what other bikes I may try.

MD

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  7. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    She chose me.
    I have said many times it took me 31 years to finally get a bike. Last summer I bought an 88 FZ 600. Worked on it, got it goin and taught myself how to ride.
    A few years ago there was a BIG Yellow Monster under a tarp in the hangar where I work. Every once in a while I would sneak a peak and ooh and ah, even though I had no idea what it was, other than a Honda.
    So after I had my FZ on the road(the yellow monster had disapeared) my buddy says why don't you take my bike out for a walk, she needs the exercize. So I ride over to his place out in the country and roll up the garage door and see the BIG yellow monster-the VFR. So I timidly approach and pet her and speak nicely to her to let her know I am a friend. The first time I turned the key I thought there was something wrong. No bike I had ever heard before sounded like that. So I shut her off and closed the door and rode away.
    I came back a few days later with my buddy and he tells me all about the gear driven cams and the race history of the V4. So I take her out with the agreement that I could borrow her for as long as I wanted, and just bring her home when I felt like it. I didn't feel like it. I fell in love. I bought her, and she is MINE.

8. BLUE_MKIV

BLUE_MKIV New Member

Easy Choice...

I had a 2003 Honda Shadow Spirit 750. I was really disappointed with it after years of riding inline fours, and a few 600 and 750CC crotch rockets. I wanted something with good ergonomics, about 100hp, fuel injection, some handling, and good looks, along with reliability. The VFR fit all of the criteria. I just picked up my 2000 VFR about a week ago. I have riden it every chance I get. Each ride reveals something new about the bike. I am not sorry about this purchase at all.

9. douglasthecook

douglasthecook New Member

United States
    Map
    You guys are going to hate me and then ban me for this....

I have always been a gixxer fan, I also really liked the FZR's of old. After my first tour in Korea was over ('95) I wanted to get a sportbike. The gixxer was redesigned I went to look at them and they weren't bad, but I couldn't really get the deal I was looking for. I was also aware of the VFR and we to look at them. They were quite comfy, and I really liked their styling. So I went to the Honda dealer to see what they could do for me. Well the one in Tucson tried to sell me a nighthawk instead, so much for that. After PCSing up to McChord, I again went to the Honda dealer where the salesman didn't now a darn thing about the VFR other that it was red, and made by Honda. Regardless I was able to use that and get the deal that I wanted. End of story, sorta. So after getting orders, and not knowing where I was going, I sold my VFR, and ended up in Vegas, where I went VFRless for a year until I found another one. Both VR's were 4th Gens, as that's what I like.

10. sandstrike

sandstrike New Member

A friend wanted me to get tires for his 02 vfr. He let me keep it for 2 weeks till i got them put on.Told me if i wanted to ride go ahead. That was his first mistake.Put tires on it next day and took off. I ended up keeping 3 weeks and put close to 1000 miles on it. But out of all the bikes I had ever rode it was the best. So when I gave his back i went strait to honda and found a 06 on floor. If there is ever a such thing as love at first ride a vfr is it.

11. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
    I first got to check out a 4G in person at the car dealership that I worked for as a parts person. Someone had traded it in for a new Miata, and that bike was cherry. I think he got nearly $6k for the trade in 1999. I don't know what year it was, but damn, that was a nice bike. I thought it was a Ducati until I saw "Honda" on the triple clamp. At the time, I didn't even know how to start a motorcycle, let alone ride one. This is the exact moment when I decided to start my journey into motorcycling.

I then proceeded to learn about about the VFR through my love of building models. I found a VFR 750R (RC30 '87) Tamiya kit on eBay for really cheap (I always loved the RWB Honda paint schemes), and put it together. I was amazed by the cool layout of that V-4 engine, and especially that single sided swingarm. I still lust for that exact bike (as I am sure almost every one of us does).

In early 2004, I began looking into the VFR legend, lurking on this site and "the other one". I had not ever heard that lusty V-4 bark yet, but I knew it was the bike for me. My brother's '05 GSX-R 750 was wayyyy too much, and uncomfortable, to boot. I liked that the VFR could be outfitted with bags and ridden across the country if I wanted. The GSX-R hurt after 20 minutes.

Fast forward to 13 months ago. I was searching all over the north east, looking for a 3G-4G VFR to call my own... I was on craigslist everyday, and I found "the one". 15k miles. Never been down. TBR slip on. New tires. Included factory manual (a must), a matching helmet and an armored jacket. It was only 200 miles away and $4k!!! I am SOOOO there.

I called the guy and set up a meeting that weekend, and $3,800 later, I was riding an un-insured, un-registered, and un-inspected VFR 750 with plates that didn't belong to it from Springfield, Mass. back home to Vermont.

Every ride has been absolute enjoyment since.

12. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    I was shopping for a cruiser but Was having dificulty with the riding position. I do not like the "Lounge Chair" seating postion. I had always been a standard rider CB750 Days liked the mostly upright riding position. I have always felt it was a position of control while being comfortable for long rides.

After starting up a conversation with the owner of a local bike shop about my trouble finding a bike he suggested that I try the VFR. I sat on it and BANG! I was in love. A riding style I like and a sporty stylish bike to boot.
    I have to say, the riding position of the VFR has proven its self over and over. It is a position of confidence every time out. whether riding to work or hitting hte curves with a little extra zeal.

:biggrin: Love it , Love it , Love it.

13. xShadowrider

xShadowrider New Member

My last ride was an '04 Shadow Spirit which I was quite happy with until a ride last year through NY/PA with a friend who had traded his Nomad for a 1000 VStrom. Couldn't keep up with him in the twisties (no surprise) and then on the ride home a guy on an "ashphalt" black VFR booked the room beside us at the motel we were overnighting at in Watkins Glen. He had nothing but great things to say about it and so that started the heavy research (again difficult to find any negative comments about the bike) and resulted in my purchasing a "new" '06 from a local dealer in January for, what I considered, a pretty good deal.

She's turned out to be everything I was hoping for and more and looking forwared to spending a lot of years with her!:dance: :dance:

14. Vlad Impaler

Vlad Impaler New Member

United States
    Map
    Saw the first Interceptors on the showroom floors when I began to ride. As I became better at riding and more knowledgable with motorcycles and my needs. I did a lot of reading through the early 90s and the cycle magazines always praised the VFR. In grad school I test drove a 1993 and fell in love. In 1994 when it came with a big white tach in the center of the dash and beautiful red, I was filling a check book at my first career-oriented job. In late 1994 the check book was fat enough to buy one and I ordered my '95. December 1994 (on my birthday) I got a call from the dealer that it was in. I took off from work and helped the tech bust the crate open, give 'er fluids, and put the clipons, pegs and mirrors on. I remember that day, 13 and a half years ago, more vivid than most in my life. I took a ride that afternoon and said to myself, "this is more bike than I'm ever going to need." 5 houses, 3 cars, a wife, a daughter, and a dog later, she's still in the garage and still as much bike as I'll ever need.

15. yoda6669

yoda6669 New Member

Map
    Got my tax return check on Feb 29 and was planing to buy a motorcycle or a scooter, no brand just something cheap to ride around and take me to work. I rode an old Honda Shadow back on 1998, had an accident on it and never rode again. My co-worker who has a GXSR 1000 wanted me to buy a bike so we could ride together. So on the 29th went for bike hunting. We stopped at this bike shop called Grand Prairie Cycles, looked at all the bikes until I saw my precious. I fell in love with her, but he wanted me to get a Tore-Up Kawasaki . The price was right 5,995.00 , the mileage reading was perfect 2,446, was not old 2002, the fairing where intact, it just needed some love. I bough it that same day. He later told me that he couldn't believe i bough the bike, that it was a good deal and he liked it. End of story.

16. Britt

Britt New Member

Anyone ever have an experience that only lasted a moment, but you can still see it in your mind as if it were yesterday?

Roughly 13 years ago I visited a local Honda dealer to pick up a part, and I was outside about to start my CB550 Four. From behind me I hear this really cool sounding bike pulling in, and I turn around to see a red VFR. A mechanic was returning from test riding it. As he went by me he blipped the throttle, which I clearly remember caused the front end to get light (not off the ground but enough to extend the front fork). He pulled into the service entrance and dissapeared.

I can still see it and hear it, clear as anything.

At that moment, I knew a VFR was in my future.

17. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

I learned about bikes from my father. He bought a 74 CB550F in 1973 & still has it today. I love that bike & have always wanted one or a CB750F.

Now, the reason I love VFR's is simple. I was in USAF Technical School at Chanute AFB, IL in 1992. They offered the MSF courses free of charge, on base, provided the bikes & helmets, etc. All I had to do is show up in long pants, long sleeves, boots & gloves. I figured why not? What better way to spend an off duty weekend?

The 1st day of the class, the instructor (Yamaha Seca) said the other instructor wouldn't be able to make it until after lunch & would show up at the range. After lunch, we are getting suited up & fitted to bikes. Out of nowhere, I hear this fantastic rumbling. I turn & see this awesome red bike with white wheels & half the back frame missing rolling up to the range. My jaw hit the ground. I distinctly remember telling the guy on the Seca that "I want that bike, I don't care what kind it is or how much it costs".

I actually had trouble keeping my attention focused during the weekend because all I could think of was that red Honda. After I passed the course & received my card, the other instructor gave me a guided tour of his 1991 VFR750F. He actually let me ride it around the range for a minute or two. I knew for certain I would own a bike like that some day.

To this day, I think the 3rd Gen VFR's are some of the best looking bikes ever made. The only reason I never bought one is they didn't have any US spec Honda dealers in Germany. I didn't want to spend the $$$ just to sell the bike when I PCS'd later. As soon as I hit US soil in March of 2000, the first thing I did was find the local Honda dealer. I told them I wanted a VFR & I had the keys in hand before I had a place to live. I was still living in a hotel looking for a place to rent when I bought it.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

18. hondawolf

hondawolf New Member

For me the vfr was the bike I wanted from the start. Was 23, never owned a motorcycle, been riding dirt for 4 years. The bike was going to be used for around town and the occasional freeway trips. But wanted a bike that I could ride anywhere in comfort. Was sold on the relaibilty and longevity of Honda. Really wanted to get a bike new, not something someone else had tweeked, and a neat looking bike too. Just couldn't afford the vfr. Ended up getting an 06 cb600 hornet. Nice looking naked bike, not too heavy, fun all around. Well 6 months after driving it off the lot, started commuting a bit and was doing more long weekend rides. Ended up finding an 04 vfr with the factory saddle bags, never used! The person was selling it, looking for a smaller, lighter bike, looked at it, ended up trading bikes, and never looked back. The vfr has been an amazing all around bike. Have had it about 8 months, and racked 7000 miles on it.

19. jonboymd

jonboymd New Member

Great thread

I actually wanted a new bike but was not planning on buying one. One day I stopped in at the Honda shop just killing time. Was interested in the CBR (954 in 2002?). Could not afford the insurance so I started looking at the VFR. I could afford the insurance and payment so I decided to buy one that day. It is funny that I ended up with the right bike for me at the right time simply because I was not able to get the CBR (definently the wrong bike for me at the time). Have loved my VFR and will likely never sell it. Added a literbike to the garage lately, looks great right next to my trusty Interceptor.
    Jon

20. FrankoQ

FrankoQ New Member

After selling my ninja 600, it was time for a less aggressive bike.
    I had been reading in bike magazines about the VFR and I just had to have one.
    Found a local online seller back in 2000 and did not think it twice.
    I love my VFR.