Honda HP4 synthetic oil

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by rshimmel, Sep 7, 2003.

1. rshimmel

rshimmel New Member

I've got 6500 mi on my 02 and I'm (finally) going to go to a synthetic oil.. The dealer recommended the Honda HP4 (don't know who really makes it), or Motul, anyone have experience with either--good or bad?? Thanks.. Ride safe- Rick ;)

2. FlyBoy

FlyBoy New Member

Hey Rick,
    Check the new thread I started on oils and filters. It WILL change how you think about your oil!

-FlyBoy

3. Tourmeister

Tourmeister New Member

Howdy,

I used the HP4 for a long time in my 92 Nighthawk 750 and my 98 VFR. It made the bikes run a little cooler and shift noticeably smoother. The downside is that you can only get it from the dealers and it is pricey. You could buy it online in bulk and it might be cheaper. I don't think it is a full synthetic though. I think it is a semi-synthetic. Of course it has been a long time since I've used it so I forget :-/

4. hatzyian

hatzyian New Member

I have a 1999 VFR800, and have been using HP4 oil from the first service, and have found it very good. As Tourmeister says it makes the gear change noticeably smoother. The bike has now done 21000 miles and I change the oil every 3000 miles (due to the dust and high temps in Cyprus).

Ian ::)

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I wanted to switch from GN4 to HP4. The service manager from the dealer where I bought my vfr advised against it. I called several other dealer in the area and got the same response. I suggest that you check with several dealers before switching. Talk to the mechanics.. If you talk to the parts people they will sell you it like it is gold. Check around. See what you find from people in the know.

6. rshimmel

rshimmel New Member

Well, I went with the HP4 so I'll have to see how it performs. It is expensive, but relative to the cost of gas these days it's not out-of-the-realm. :eek: I'll post my thoughts in a few hundred miles...
    Ride safe! Rick 8)

7. Tourmeister

Tourmeister New Member

Good Lord!! I hope you are not referring to a typical service manager when you say this!? :eek: My experience has been that they are generally the most clueless people around. I have even had to point them to procedures in the manual because they did not know what I was talking about. ::) Find a local mechanic that is plugged into the local club racing community. They are generally the most reliable guys when it comes to technical knowledge.