Honda CEO Confirms V4 Sport Bike Project is Underway

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by betarace, Sep 21, 2012.

1. betarace

betarace New Member

2. smack doogle

smack doogle New Member

United States
    About every 6 months or so this pops up somewhere and I get excited and every 6 months or so I check my bank account and no money. This time, I have money!!!!!!! Does this mean it's going to come true?

I have never bought a brand new, off the showroom floor, new bike. I currently have a '93 VFR 750 and an '86 VFR 750. I will not be buying another bike unless Honda comes out with a new VFR. I don't count the VFR1200 as a VFR. My opinion. Anyway, my only request, stick to the 4th gen and 5th gen recipe and I'll be giving Honda a deposit.

3. Chris71Mach1

Chris71Mach1 Insider

United States
    Map
  4. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Wow! Somebody dig out that VFR1000 thread from a few years back!

5. safetypro10

safetypro10 New Member

United States
    Map
    Quite teasing me, it not polite.

Larry

6. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    If they make , I sure hope it meets with norkleboy's approval

7. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    :party2:..................................

8. Cyborg

Cyborg New Member

United States
    I'll believe it when I see it but am worried, remember this is the company that gave us the DN-01...

9. smack doogle

smack doogle New Member

United States
    I really hope its not some $60000 Moto GP replica bike. I want something I can afford damn it!!!!

10. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map
    If it's on the internet, it HAS to be true. Those are the rules. Having established that, the next question becomes, will the new bike be as 'inspired' as the more recent Honda offerings or will it be a Honda that we all want but can't afford? I guess there is a slim chance it may be a great bike we all want, has a soul, and we can afford. for now, only Santa, the easter bunny and the tooth fairy know for sure.

11. safetypro10

safetypro10 New Member

United States
    Map
    Well, someone go ask Santa, EB and the tooth fairy than for the real scoop.

Larry

12. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Suspect Honda desperately need to make this bike BECAUSE of the DN-01.

13. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    Multiple sources confirm what Honda's CEO stated

Honda Confirms V4 Sport Bike Project is Underway

So, back in 2009 I told everyone the V4 was going to be the heart of a new line of bikes from Honda; I also posted on several threads that everyone screaming about not getting a "real" V4 sport bike with the F model, just needed to hang on to their horses, it'd be coming along in a couple years... Perhaps I am Nostradamus after all...
    http://vfrworld.com/forums/7th-generation-2010-present/26080-2010-vfr1200-not-usa.html

Honda CEO Confirms V4 Sport Bike Project is Underway
    09/20/2012 @ 10:41 pm, by Jensen Beeler

It has been a long time coming with this announcement, but Honda has finally officially announced that work has begun on what is presumed to be a V4 sport bike. In the same vein as the Honda RC30 that was introduced back in 1987, Honda has apparently seen the light, and according to the company’s own words, the company has started “with a goal to create a new history.”

Announcing the new model in his end-of-the-fiscal year speech, Honda CEO Takanobu Ito was terse with his words in describing the new Honda sport bike, but referencing the RC30 project, along with heavy rumors that we have been hearing about a V4 street bike project in the works that was being based of Honda’s MotoGP program — this almost assures that the bike referenced is a V4 superbike based loosely on the RC213V race bike.

With the Honda CBR1000RR looking very long in the tooth, it is not clear if Honda’s V4 project is a replacement for the current-model CBR, or if it is a separate model that will be positioned to be more costly and exclusive than the inline-four CBR (we would expect the latter).

The news comes as an interesting pairing with the fact that Honda plans on offering a production-prototype for MotoGP competition. That model is expected to be a tuned-down version of the Honda RC213V race bike, and the model announced today is allegedly an even more tuned-down version of that machine.

One thing is for sure, if Honda can truly channel the mojo the company produced with the Honda RC30, the company could finally tap into the hearts and minds of sport bike enthusiasts with something more than bulletproof manufacturing.

It wouldn’t surprise us to see a concept of the V4 sport bike unveiled at INTERMOT or EICMA later this year. Expect to see the machine in 2013 or 2014.

Honda to Produce MotoGP-Derived V4 Superbike
    21/09/2012 | By: Dennis Chung
    Honda Chief Executive Officer Takanobu Ito announced plans to produce a new super sports bike derived from its RC213V MotoGP race bike.

A V4 Honda sportsbike has long been rumored to be in development but it finally appears the project is getting the green light. Speaking about Honda’s plans for the next five years, Ito confirmed the sportbike is on its way, using technology from the company’s successful MotoGP program.

“Since its market introduction in 1987, the RC30 (VFR750R) super sports bike has been loved by a large number of fans,” says Ito. “With a goal to create a new history, passionate Honda engineers have gotten together and have begun development of a new super sports bike to which new technologies from MotoGP machines will be applied.”

Ito did not go into specifics about the new sportbike or what it may mean for the venerable CBR1000RR. The new sportbike will most assuredly use a V4 engine however. The Honda RC213V MotoGP prototype uses a V4, and it’s no coincidence Ito referenced the RC30 which is powered by a 748cc V4 engine. Honda has recently begun introducing new V4 production models such as the VFR1200F and the Crossrunner, but the new model is likely to be a literbike.

Honda has also previously announced plans to develop a lower-spec version of the RC213V to be sold to prospective race teams. This production racer and the newly announced production model will likely share a lot of the same DNA as well.

Ito did not provide a timeline for when the new sportbike will enter production but Honda will likely show some form of a prototype at the upcoming Intermot show in Cologne, Germany, or the EICMA show in Milan, Italy, in November.

Honda to produce supersport bike based on MotoGP RC213V
    Honda CEO announces development underway for a “new super sports bike” that harkens back to the RC30
    September 21, 2012
    As part of his annual corporate fiscal year-end speech to Honda shareholders, Honda CEO Takanobu Ito inserted a little tidbit at the end of his discussion on what Honda plans for the motorcycle market that has set Big Red fans atwitter with glee. After talking about the future introduction of larger-displacement bikes based on the same “New Concept” design of the NC700X and the return of Honda’s racing involvement in the Dakar Rally, Ito made a brief remark about something that Honda hasn’t done since the headier sportbike days of the mid-90s limited production RC45:

“Since its market introduction in 1987, the RC30 super sports bike has been loved by a large number of fans,” said Ito, as two visual displays on the wall behind him featured a photo of the RC30 next to a shot of the RC213V MotoGP racebike. “With a goal to create a new history, passionate Honda engineers have gotten together and have begun development of a new super sports bike to which new technologies from MotoGP machines will be applied.”

And that was it. He then quickly segued into a discussion on Honda’s power generation business, but those two sentences had Japanese motojournalists quickly breaking out their smartphones and furiously texting away.

There had been past rumors of Honda developing a V4 sportbike based on the company’s RC211V/212V MotoGP bikes, but most had dismissed those as the byproduct of wild and hopeful imaginations. And when nothing appeared on the horizon when each new-year models were introduced, those hopes continued to fade.

But now that HRC has openly discussed producing a “production” version of the prototype RC213V as an alternative to the controversial CRT machines now populating the back half of the MotoGP field, the door is supposedly open for the company to produce a high-dollar, limited production variant of that bike in an even more detuned form to enable it to pass emissions and noise regulations for the street. Just as the RC30, RC45, and the V-twin RC51 existed solely for the purpose of racing homologation yet offered a glimpse into Honda’s formidable engineering prowess, this machine will most likely be a very expensive ($30K-plus) and exclusive corporate flagship. It’s highly probable that this new supersport bike will not be a replacement for the aging but still capable CBR1000RR, which still has the production-friendly components and construction to make it somewhere near profitable to produce.

Whether this new supersport bike will be anywhere near the performer among its peers that the RC30 was—much less be an RC213V replica as many are claiming—remains to be seen. Honda is a much different company now than it was when founder Soichiro Honda was still alive. But surprises can happen.

14. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    Maybe not $60, but per the articles above, the guess is around $30K...

15. JoeMphoto

JoeMphoto New Member

If that's the case I be waiting for a used one to pop up.... LOL

16. Badbilly

United States
    What??? Streebikes based on racebikes? Whoda thunk!

Probabably
    Harley-Davidson back in about 1905.

Seems like Honda had some inline fours whizzing round some race courses in the late 1950s.. Oh shit, there we go again with the revisionist history.

17. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
  18. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Looky some New rumours - HONDAs MOTOGP RACER REPLICA For 2014

" Ever since MotoGP transitioned from 500cc two-strokes to 1000cc fourstrokes in 2003, rumors have been whirling that Honda would build a proper MotoGP replica for the street. While the 2010 VFR1200F did borrow some technology from the RC211V, that 594-pound sport tourer could hardly be called a racer replica. But now, 10 years later, there are clear signs that a road-going version of Honda’s MotoGP racer will finally arrive in showrooms in 2014. "

Check below Linky for Full story:
    Honda MotoGP Racer Replica - Motorcyclist Magazine Up To Speed

[​IMG]

19. Badbilly

United States

This is all well and good but personally I will have to wait until nocalboy gives the bike his stamp of approval.

20. zedicus

zedicus New Member

they even mention the nr750 in this article. which is what i have been doing ever since the original mention of this, some few months ago. while this is great, personally i have never seen a nr750 in real life. though i would trade a testicle for 1. every 20 yrs or so honda pops something out that makes people remember that they do R&D some of the best tech on the planet, they just generally let it trickle down to mainstream and not deliver bleeding edge to the public.