Hi, just got a VFR750 as first bike!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Eudardo, Oct 29, 2021.

1. Eudardo

Eudardo New Member

Portugal
    Hello,

I'm from Portugal, 26 years old, fresh license and just decided to get a bike to enjoy life and make a few roadtrips.

The VFR750 stricked me as the perfect candidate, reliable, confortable, fast enough.

Decided to go with an average condition 1995 model, it seems well esteemed altough with a couple issues. But I assumed this was to be expected as the bike has the same age as me.

Last weekend I rode it for the first time since purchase and it was everything I imagined it to be and more.

Leaving some pics of the bike IMG-20211023-WA0003.jpg IMG-20211010-WA0000.jpg

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

RllwJoe and Thumbs like this.
  2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi Eudardo and Welcome to the MadHouse:Welcome:

Physically your VFR looks in good condition for a 25+ year old motorbike. I really hope it provides you with many happy years riding.

Obviously after that many years it is definitely worth checking it out before setting out on any long trips. If you are not sure what to check, consider getting it to a garage and asking them to give it a once over whilst you watch, ask questions and provide refreshments. Many smaller garage owners are happy to help a new rider get to know their motorbike as indeed is they help you now they hope you will use their services again.

Did the previous owner provide you with the Honda service record document or at least evidence of recent servicing of the basics oil's filters etc?

With regular servicing these bikes are capable of doing very high mileages but as another of your posts suggests you are unsure about how many miles it has actually covered so you may want to budget on doing a service now, especially if the odometer does not work so cannot be relied on to determine what servicing work needs to be carried out and when.

Take your time getting to know your new bike - especially they have a reputation of being a bit top heavy at low speeds. This is not an issue for taller riders but for some lighter riders they can quickly pass the point of no return and result in the bike lying on their side. If the fairings are still in good condition you may want to consider fitting frame sliders.

In the meantime have fun and do not forget ATGATT

SkiMad

Eudardo likes this.
  3. Eudardo

Eudardo New Member

Portugal
    I expect to do a service before I ride it for any significant distance. The PO gave me a record of the last service (brakes, fluids, filter and transmission kit).

I've already spent a fair bit of time inspecting and resolving smaller issues, the PO laid the bike down on her right side, so there are a few things to do.

I was also wary of the weight, I'm not a big person. Gotta be extra carefull but commited because I can't muscle out of mistakes. So far it has all been going smooth.

I'll use the garage forums again soon because unfortunately there are still a more than a few things I need to clear out.

Thanks for your welcome!

4. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Great Introduction post Eudardo. Thanks for sharing a couple of photos of your new ride.

Eudardo likes this.
  5. Brian Rodgers

Brian Rodgers New Member

United States
    Map
    Nice ride. Welcome !

Eudardo likes this.
  6. Eudardo

Eudardo New Member

Portugal
    Thanks everyone!

7. Eudardo

Eudardo New Member

Portugal
    Hi everyone, hope you are all doing okay!

To post a quick update on my bike:

A short while after my first rides, I left the bike at my dad's until I got the paperwork for my garage sorted out. Meanwhile, my dad dropped my bike on the driveway, because it was wet and slippery from oils and he slipped while trying to move the bike.

Previously I had only taken on a 300 km roadtrip:
    [​IMG]

Spent a couple weeks trying to find fairings, got middle left and upper left one from a Finnish guy for 400€, both new OEM. Then when they finally arrived we noticed the upper one had a slightly different tint from the rest of the bike. (the bike was wrong) We decided to just repair the damaged ones and paint the whole bike in the factory red. I haven't decided yet if I'm going the sell the new OEM fairings or keep them, but so far I've been keen on keeping them due to their scarcity and the fact that I plant to keep the bike a long time.

During all this process of removing the fairings and so on, to sent to the bodywork shop, we found hints the bike having been crashed more seriously in the past. We did the job nonetheless and got the bike looking good as new again (and to be fair, far far better what the state the bike was in when I bought it). It seems the previous owner was not as honest as I had believed and I was now regretting having taken the road-trip without doing a full service first.

Shortly after I noticed a slipping clutch, very few km ridden after. When my dad rode the bike he said that he felt something weird with the clutch, with a bit of digging I found that it could be dirt or algae in the hydraulic system and that this could toast the clutch (spoiler alert).
    So I anticipated the major maintenance that I was thinking about doing a bit later due to barely having ridden the bike at all.

This is the current state, I'm super stoked to go get my bike tomorrow, it has got a new clutch kit, all fluids changed, valves done, carbs balanced and tuned, and also a few minor electrical things sorted out. Also it looks gorgeous as ever, as if it was literally new. Finally I can ride as much as I want without worries.

Fun fact: I also discovered that the bike was crashed in 1997 by the first owner. Nothing too serious and serious enough to leave a mark. Anyway, if the bike holds true in the next months the next thing to do will be to try and fix the odometer thing either by fixing it myself or buying an instrument panel used.

Hoping you enjoyed the story, happy rides!

8. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Nice 4th gen, I had one for 7 years. Good luck
    :bruce2:

Eudardo likes this.