Hi guys - new member and some advice needed!

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by 750, Jul 9, 2014.

1. 750

750 New Member

Hi all

John from London here, I have a '90 VFR750 in white with Castrol Honda stickers all over it (pics to follow, in work so can't get access to photobucket).

I want to swap the front end out. I know there's a plethora of info around the net but I'm an idiot and need spot on clarification :tongue:

I've found this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281376301352?_trksid=p2059216.m2763.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

It's a 2001 front end (forks, clamps, spindle).

A) will it bolt right in? If not, what else is needed?

B) is there any chance at all my front wheel and calipers etc will fit?

c) will the original handlebars fit? I quite like the raised feel of them.

Thanks so much for any answers, it's all massively appreciated. I'llbe sticking around here, I'll update this thread later with loads of pics and my biking history etc!

John

2. Y2Kviffer

Y2Kviffer Insider

United States
    Map
    :welcome: to the best site anywhere. Always plenty of good advice...

I doubt they will be a direct fit, but someone will be along that knows for sure...

3. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    :welcome: to the madness from across the pond :wave:

4. yellow99

yellow99 New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Hi 750. I wouldn't bank on it. This Ebay Item is from a Fireblade. Is that right? It looks like USD forks and the front callipers with the CBS system are unlikely to fit. Of course if you're up for a challenge and can bend, shape, cut, weld and so on, anything is possible!!! There's gonna be better fits out there for less aggro. Also, I'd avoid anyone who spells 'yokes' as 'yokes!'

5. 750

750 New Member

Haha that's fair enough! Can anyone tell me what will be a direct bolt in then? years/models would be fantastic.

p.s. here's some pics of the old girl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

46k on the clock, has an after market SS set of downpipes and a Remus end can. It's been down a few times in it's life and has it's battle scars. I've owned it for about 2 weeks now. It's in a garage getting the carbs balanced, thermostat replaced, a general health check as well as the choke and reserve selector to be looked at - the mechanic is very, VERY good...so I'm hoping it'll come back to me running as sweet as ever.

Here's a few other bike's I've owned (I currently also have a naked SV1000)

R1 (stolen :( )

[​IMG]

SV1000 (other bike atm)

[​IMG]

SV650 (first big bike)

[​IMG]

Street Triple R (loved it but the ride was rubbish, the suspension is awful)

[​IMG]

6. safetypro10

safetypro10 New Member

United States
    Map
    Yes, the whole front end will bolt end. Might be a little short, but the appropriate bars (covertibars, speiglers, etc) will bring them up to usable. Watch for interference with front of engine/radiator. Watch for turn interference.

I think even the front axle MAY work, or use the 929/954 front wheel. You'll need the front fender too.

Get resprung/revalved for the VFR. Steel lines will be nice as well.

Larry

7. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map
    definitely a drop in. I have an entire front end on my 97. Complete front end (fork, triples, brakes, wheel) fit but will require you to reposition the oil cooler - I just dropped my cooler about 1/2 inch and shimmed it forward about the same, trim the inner part of the fairing. the clip ons, you will need a set of adjustables so you don't end up hitting the instruments and front fairings. I have a set of APEX clips. I think that's the only part and detail that may be a pain. the 93 has less top fairing clearance than the gen 4's so may require a little creativity.

the forks are about 1 inch shorter but so far I haven't noticed a major handling flaw. of course I haven't had my 97 too long so far. I think there's probably a few discussions on whether it's worth the time and money vs just redoing the exhisting fork/brakes. I had the parts sitting around from a previous project I was working on so decided to give it a try. I love it, especially the brakes, enough to consider it for my 93.

Here's some pics of the gen 3 vs 4 top fairing clearance.

93 trip.jpg

97 trip.jpg

the front wheel is close on the 97 but there's no interference at full compression

front wheel.jpg

and the oil cooler, you can't see if from the front unless you duck under

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  8. 750

750 New Member

Hmm, seems interesting. I think the cost and effort of revalving and getting new springs (and ergo a new set up) would put me off. I think I'd be better reworking the existing gear.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I should be picking the bike up from the garage on Saturday with a freshly balanced set of carbs, new thermostat and a sorted choke. I'll keep you updated.