Here's my once a year "I hear Crickets" in the northeast forum post

Discussion in 'USA - Northeast' started by dino71, Mar 23, 2012.

1. dino71

dino71 New Member

United States
    Map
    Hi everyone, I hope you had a great winter and are getting ready for an even better Spring/Summer. Maybe we'll even have a few rides planned :cool: Anyway I just wanted to blow the dust off and see what shakes out. OK now go out and do whatever it is you do to get your bikes ready!

2. rbednar

rbednar New Member

United States
    Map
    Ready! Let's go ride

3. dino71

dino71 New Member

United States
    Map
    I can but next weekend, I got so screwed by Galfer and the idoits that work their. I should have my lines in by Tuesday and the bike should be ready for this coming weekend. Where is everyone one else? DenT? Mike? Pocono? Others???

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Don't even think abouit riding until you check and set your tire pressures first !!!!!

5. dino71

dino71 New Member

United States
    Map
    Will Do! Did I meet you a few years ago on Seb's Catskills ride and once again by chance in N.C.?

6. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey Dino - I missed this post. How's everything with the brakes - you get them all sorted?

Let's keep our eyes on the weather. This weekend wouldn't have been so good anyway with all the rain and fog. We got a few new guys from Jersey, including rbednar (who I happened to meet. Bumped into him at a gas station while I was in the car!)

Steve and Ed are MIA. I think Steve is being :stripper::whip:, and the last I talked to DenT he was thinking about getting a different bike.

April is going to be a tough month for me - got a shitload of stuff planned and traveling almost every weekend. But soon, my friend, soon...

7. VtownGT

VtownGT New Member

I am interested in a group ride. There is a post in the other VFR site in the Northeast region forum from a guy in Morristown looking to get in on a ride or maybe set one up.

I have never ridden with anyone besides myself (Most of my riding is commuting on rt 80), so when I think about a group ride, I am always a bit worried about being able to keep up with the group or just doing some other dumb thing.

In any event, I am interested in meeting up and giving it a shot.

Sam

8. kweezy

kweezy New Member

Map
    Anyone else up in NH?

9. rbednar

rbednar New Member

United States
    Map
    Hi Sam - I'm pretty new to the VFR and not a fast rider. I worry about keeping up with guys. I live out in Long Valley and I'd be up for a group ride, a Saturday would work best for me as I'm in real estate and work most Sundays. Maybe a ride up through NW Jersey with a stop at Hot Dog Johnny's for a bite on the way back...

Bob

10. dino71

dino71 New Member

United States
    Map
    I really really really really wanted to ride this weekend but my brother went bought another home down at the shore and his picked this freaking weekend to do some demolition :rant: but I am up for the weekend after. Mike: Dmitry came over last week and he worked his magic and everything is put back together, I just need to tweak the suspension a little to get ready for TMAC in a month. There "might" be room for one other bike on the trailer....... the other guy who was going to come may be backing out.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  11. dino71

dino71 New Member

United States
    Map
    Hi Sam and welcome to the board. Please do not worry about your speed, we are not racing and everyone rides what they comfortably doing. If anything perhaps we can bestow a little wisdom, heaven knows that many people on this board have set me straight.

12. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Sam, Bob and Dino - A ride is definitely in order, and soon. I'm traveling out of town this Wednesday through Sunday, so won't be happening for me. Actually, they say its supposed to rain all weekend anyway. So they say.

Sam & Bob - Sage advice given to me years ago was "ride your own ride". There is no competition, and there is no race. Any time we do a group ride, we figure it all out ahead of time in what order to ride. I'm not the fastest, and I'm not the slowest, but I often elect to sweep (ride last in line) for at least the first part of any group ride so that I can "evaluate" (don't take that as egotistical) who is riding at a given speed and make suggestions for what order to ride in.

No one is going to get left behind in some unfamiliar territory. Its about having fun, camaraderie, and usually finding a good place to eat in between all that!

Never, EVER think you need to try to match the pace of someone else.

13. VtownGT

VtownGT New Member

Great! I am open on the weekends. Looking forward to it! I let the other guy from the VFRD thread know that there is an active ride thread here, so perhaps he'll join also!
    Sam

14. CBRent

CBRent New Member

United States
    We have already had the annual Garage Door Opener. The bikes are out and the snowblowers are put away.

My buddy and I did a shake-down cruise with my new VFR1200 and his BMW. The Kancamagus is still beat up and Bear Notch road is still closed. Still, we put miles on the bikes. Almost 700 for me so far.

Later!

Brent
    Manchester, NH

15. dino71

dino71 New Member

United States
    Map
    What the hell is wrong with NHDOT??? I was up in your neck of the woods for the VFR ride about two weeks after Irene and now its almost 7 months later and your roads all still hosed up?

16. Titan800

Titan800 New Member

Map
    Wait what? Who puts their bike up during these so called 'winter' seasons? You mean some people don't have the luxury to ride 365 days a year? ;)

17. dino71

dino71 New Member

United States
    Map
    But when you come to a curve you have to come to a complete stop and figure out how to take it!!

18. Matasickle

Matasickle New Member

burn!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Titan800

Titan800 New Member

Map
    I knew as soon as I updated my profile with my location after I made the post, I was going to get some shit about that. Ahah, thanks for the good laugh.

I can't deny it, it sure does suck, but there a some hidden gems about an hour outside of Jacksonville. It's a trade off, winter months +terrain or year round riding +flat boring roads.

20. CBRent

CBRent New Member

United States
    I was unclear in my post. The Kanc is rough due to winter recently ending. So, you have the usual potholes and frost heaves. Bear Notch road is closed during the winter. I don't know when NHDOT opens it. I assume it is still closed for the winter.

The damage from Irene has been repaired as far as I know.

Go ride!

:wink: