Help???????????

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by pontiac_banshee, Jul 10, 2008.

1. pontiac_banshee

pontiac_banshee New Member

United States
    My 1991 with under 10k miles is pretty but finding out that being that old with original parts may have some drawbacks and I need some help.

THis bike looks to have the original tire which means the rear wheel has never been off. So after all these years I remove the rear wheel for some maintenance and find that two of the 4 lug nuts have seized to the stud and they spun the studs in the axle. Took 3 hours of swearing and drilling but I got the nuts off. Ok here is my delema, I either spend close to $350 to have a new axle put in or find a vendor that carries wheel studs so I can get a couple of wheel studs with a larger diameter shoulder that I can press into the axle. Done this with cars before but cant find vendor for metric studs.

HELP?
    If you know a vendor or webpage that has listings of studs by measurement I can find something.

2. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
    Your local auto parts store should have wheel studs in stock for about $5.00 each. Just bring in an old one and get to it!

3. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    I was just curious....technically they do not need to be metric if you replace all of the studs and lugs with standard, correct?

Here is a link for some lugs/studs. Looks like they offer one metric stud on the bottom of the list.

Lugs & Studs

4. Longerfellow

Longerfellow New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey,
    There's a post right under yours where a guy is parting out a 91. Maybe you should contact him...

5. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
  6. pontiac_banshee

United States
    Worried about the angle of the face of the new lug nut if I went to another size of thread. If the angle was wrong it would only be making contact in one area instead of across the face.

7. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    My vote is to use the parts off the wrecker. Maybe even a 4th gen would work too.

MD

8. pontiac_banshee

United States
    Found it online through a dealer here in WI for $139. I am heading to the parts store right now to see if I can find a stud with a larger diamter shoulder I can press in. Did this with 12 bolt axles for a car and they went in and held fine.

9. pontiac_banshee

United States
    Things took a turn for the better today:party2:. Went to Advance Auto and sat down with their box of wheel studs and I found exact matches with slightly : larger press fit area (the area with the ribs). I thought perfect as they are just large enough for the holes that I THOUGHT had been enlarged by the studs spinning.

Took a grinder and removed the body of the old stud so I could pop it out and found the whole wasn't opened up at all. It was the studs that wore so the metal on the axle is bar far harder than the stud. Now it looks like I can even use the factory studs to put back in. The bad news! :soapbox: Poor design from Honda as you HAVE to pull the axle to put in a new stud. You figured they could have put in a recessed area on the swing arm so you could spin it to that spot and replace the stud but NO. $110 for the axle pull and reinstall.

A little anti-seize on the threads (this aint going to happen again) and back on the road.

FOR ANY AND ALL THAT READ MY R/R REPLACEMENT THREAD - STILL GOING STRONG WITH NO ELECTRICAL ISSUES AND NO PROBLEM WITH KEEPING THE R/R COOL.

:treehugger: So is this a tree hugger or a Got Wood smily :)