Help with the winter time blues

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by reg71, Feb 2, 2010.

1. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I have noticed shorter tempers around here lately so I thought maybe some two wheeled therapy was in order. I closed my laptop. Donned my leathers, cranked up my tunes, and headed out for a short local ride to get some pics and some fresh air. Temps were in the low 60s acc to bike but it felt slightly cooler, but not bad by any means.

First stop was at Chevron where gas is below $3 a gal for the first time in a while. It's times like these when I'm glad my primary transport is a 35 mpg cycle instead of my F350 which gets about 6.

I headed down south to Santa Margarita and onto Hwy 58 for a bit. Got one pic before turning off to las pilitas. Here's the snap with the mountains in the background. The sun was over that way so the quality isn't great. Also, the iphone isn't known for great pics.
    [​IMG]

Up the road a few more miles and I made a left onto Las Pilitas. This is a country road that's maybe 7-10 miles from where I live, but it seems like you are in a forgotten part of Cali for a bit.

Notice the mossy oaks in the background. They are very cool. In lots of places they stretch across the road.
    [​IMG]

The road surface isn't wonderful and it's pretty narrow, but it's not bad. If I'm not taking pics, I'll roll through here at a brisk but not fast pace. Even though it looks like it's in the middle of nowhere, people still live out here.

[​IMG]

Any of you guys missing the body from an old VW bug? I might have found it.
    [​IMG]

It was actually pretty sunny, but my pics seem foggy. I'll just say it was the phone again cause it couldn't possibly be an error on my part.

[​IMG]

It's weird how here it's all green right now except for some of the deciduous trees, but when it's all green everywhere else, it's usually brown here. By the end of summer, we'll be on fire again.

[​IMG]

Here's an old out of service bridge that looks pretty neat. You can still get to it, though. There are a couple mailboxes right by the end of it where someone's drive ends.

[​IMG]

The other angle...
    [​IMG]

And the frame...
    [​IMG]

On down the road, the rocks crept closer to the road so I snuck over by them for a pic...
    [​IMG]

Then there was a little creek crossing a bit further on. It's kind of hard to see, but the water was kind of a rusty color. Not sure if it was from the rocks or what, but it was unusual...
    [​IMG]

After this, I headed on down the road to the end and then hung a left onto Park Hill Rd where I only snapped one shot. The terrain was pretty much the same but it was harder to stop as there were 2 or 3 cars on the road with me. On Las Pilitas in all the time I was stopping and snapping pics in the middle of the road, I only saw one other vehicle on the road.

[​IMG]

At the end of Park Hill we were back on another part of hwy 58 where I turned right and headed up the hill and through the curves.

[​IMG]

And one more snap from Hwy 58 before cresting the top of the hill.
    [​IMG]

From there I headed up and over then took a left on 229. It was time to open it up a bit so no pics, but I dug up this old video of VFRWorld members riding on 229 when they came to visit me a while back.

[video=youtube;H7GZh9yB3k4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7GZh9yB3k4[/video]

From there, I headed back through Creston then left on Hwy 41 to take me back home. All totalled it was about 50 miles, and umpteen curves. It was good. It was nice to get out and breathe and forget about things for a few minutes.

Now everyone all together, just breathe, relax, and remember it's just the internet.

2. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    Nice Reg

I'm still fed up with all this calling me the Unabomber shit though.

I"m the Unarider.

Oh, and I hate you for being able to ride around today while there's snow on the ground and roads here, but I'm keeping it to myself in a remarkable display of self restraint.

And now for something to get you laughing:
    [video]http://www.theonion.com/content/video/vh1_reality_show_bus_crashes_in[/video]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  3. tri4874

tri4874 New Member

monday was a sunny day and the snow has melted.......the winter blues have there hold!!!!! short ride to madison ,in...
    ohio river bridge from milton,ky to madison,in.....

Attached Files:

• 034.jpg
      034.jpg
      File size:
      82.7 KB
      Views:
    • 033.jpg
      033.jpg
      File size:
      69.4 KB
      Views:
  4. Byrdarian

Byrdarian New Member

United States
    Map
    Excellent pics and that was a great vid (I hadn't seen it yet). I'm jealous of you a bit. I've been riding recently but can't do anything real fun since most of it's been in the raid or around 38-45 degrees. I might have to drive down there some day for that ride.

5. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    well, I know a good time to make the trip... Our resident crazy canuck coming from the UFRR will be coming through your state on his way here...

http://vfrworld.com/forums/general-vfr-discussions/27206-coming-soon-2010-slo-odyssey-aka-reggies-roadhouse-roundup.html

6. Knife

Knife Member

United States
    Who are you calling short tempered, you as*hole! Go f*ck yourself and the bike you rode in on. (J/K!)

Very nice pics, and I'm jealous you could get out for a ride. It's snowing here AGAIN and we're supposedly going to get another 12-18" or more this week. I rode all winter long last year, but with this dreaded global warming (cough, cough), this year is a no-go so far, except for a day here and there.

7. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Here is a tool some of you may find useful this past winter:

[​IMG]

If course, I don't need one.

8. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Well that sure beats the shit out of mine! I feel inadequate now! Thanks Randy........

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  9. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    what is all that white stuff you guys have in your pictures?

I seem to remember it from my childhood...

Oh, yeah, it's that stuff we put in the mountains so we can ski of we feel like it. I don't understand. Why don't you guys keep it a couple hours east of you like we do, then if you need it, it is over there and if not, you stay around home and ride your motorcycle. It works well for me...

10. virgo1962

virgo1962 New Member

-sigh- thanks Reg (Dude) - i lived in Ventura for a few months back in 1998. Plan on going back someday. i think that might be near you? At least i am getting my new (2007) VFR delivered on saturday - that should help!

11. Cruise

Cruise New Member

Map
    winter blues...means spending money on accessorizing haha

12. L J VFR

L J VFR New Member

It figues, I go and buy my dream bike, and we have the coldest, snowiest, winter since the 70's. My damn luck...:mad:

13. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    It's not too far. I live maybe 115 miles north if you go up the 101, but who would do that when you could take the 33 to the 166 to the 58? Now that's an awesome ride!

That's true. I end up leaving a lot of things undone on my bike since I ride year round. I get to see all the mods you guys come up with and I think that would be neat, but I never seem to find the time. It's hard enough just taking the time to keep the chain clean and change the oil.

It's winding down, though, isn't it? The other day when I was riding to work, the sun wasn't coming up, but it was getting lighter so I figured winter would be gone before long... It was already about 40 degrees which seemed warm compared to 37 which is what it was a couple days before when I left for work. Even though it gets warm in the winter here, at night it's still cool so leaving early for work means cold riding...

14. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    The only accessories I got this year was a new high performance oil pan. Having that one put on as we speak.

15. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    High performance oil pan?? Dur, please elaborate, and of course...:worthless:

16. rexbaum

rexbaum New Member

Dude, thank you so much for posting this thread!!! I am SO OVER WINTER!!! :mad:

Approx 75% of the United States is under snow.......... Where the hell is Al Gore and his Global Warming hoax! :crazy:

All the lucky members that are still able to ride, I wish they would follow suit and post pics for those of us that can't.

Very much appreciated, bro!

17. cheyanne9

cheyanne9 New Member

slow work with the snow

Winter - we are slow with work right now so open to another profession...

The new jobs bill has many opportunities I am told.....

Don't anyone else apply for this one....

Unicorn Sheppard / Herder

[​IMG]

18. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Some here are aware of my expertise in changing oil and reading Torque Wrench gauges. So, use you imagination. The bolt from my former pan looks like a devise that would commonly be slid down by a scantily clad woman in an up town seedy bar. The shiny portion of which is remnants of the old pan.

19. Spike

Spike New Member

+1
    I don't miss having to scrape my car windowns every morning before work, but like that I can get to some great sking within a couple of hours

20. Spike

Spike New Member

One snow storm, no matter how large and encompasing, does not discredit global warming, no matter what Fox"news" say