Help! VFR dead by the Golden Gate Bridge

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Hotbrakes, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Hotbrakes

Hotbrakes New Member

United States
    Went to start and the all the lights dimmed to nothing. Tried bumping, no luck, zero power. 4k miles from home...

540-226-0395 if you can help

Thanks

2. DCS

DCS New Member

Map
    Maybe not much help, but if it's warm, it will push start easy.

Turn the key to on, put it in 2nd gear, run as fast as you can pushing it while holding the clutch, jump on and dump the clutch, it might start right up after a few attempts. If you have buds to help push faster after you jump on, even better.

ETA - be really sure your kill switch is in the run position.

Good luck!

3. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Battery shot or the infamous regulator/rectifier failure. Just a guess from way too much past history. Maybe somebody in the SF Bay area can bail you out..

4. Hotbrakes

Hotbrakes New Member

United States
    Got it towed to Cycle West in Petaluma and grabbed a hotel for the night.

Symptoms-
    05 VFR 800 51,000 miles
    It "sneezed" 4-5 times today. By sneeze I mean I heard what sounded like pressure releasing from somewhere within combined with a momentary loss of power. Each instance occurred at varied speeds from stopped to highway. No lights, no other abnormalities.

Turned on ignition, cranked over a couple times while slowing down and all lights dimmed rather quickly as if something just depleted all the juice. Gave her a couple push starts to no avail. Hooked it up to a battery tender for 20-30 minutes off my wife's bike while waiting for tow and got full power back in battery. She cranked great for 5-10 seconds, fuel pump kicked on and everything, but no ignition and power began to fade.

Battery is a three week old Shorai. Only electrical mods besides a few farkles are the wiring harness recall. All other components are original.

So, some pressure releasing sounds earlier, cranks over but quickly loses power and doesn't fire up.

4000 miles from home too, right at the halfway point of a 35 day cross country trip. At least we got some laps at Laguna today...

5. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    If the major glitch is the R/R, being a Honda dealer they should recognize this right away. If the part needed is not in stock, dealers get used to dealing with "their" Honda warehouse and the parts dudes do not really give a shit if you have to wait days for parts to come in. Honda has several parts depots no matter what the dealers say.

6. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Sound like the Stator is toast, Randy going thru the same issue. Call Toe he is from Sac and might be able to help. His garage full of beers and tools
    Good luck

7. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Probably still too far away to be of help but my garage,tools, beer and any parts are here to lend a hand.

8. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I texted him last night. Sounds remarkably like what I went through with my stator in Vegas last spring. Stators were back ordered at that time for a couple weeks so we went after market from Wisconsin. Racer's Edge in Vegas had my bike up and running in a few days with the new stator from Wisconsin. No probs since.

But like Badbilly says, if you are at a Honda dealer, they may not care how long it takes to get an OEM, so may not look very hard to find and after market if at all. If you have lots of time on your hands, then there is surely lots to do in the bay area while you wait but otherwise, tell the service dept to look for after market. They area readily available.

9. Scubalong

United States
  10. Scubalong

United States
  11. DCS

DCS New Member

Map
    what years are affected by the bad stator thing?

12. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    The 06 up had a bigger stator and rotor, be sure if you order one you get the correct size or change both to the later version.

13. DCS

DCS New Member

Map
    Thanks. When did the "later version" come out?

Is my '07 good to go, or should I replace the S/R with an updated version to avoid the headache later?

14. Scubalong

United States
    Why fix when it is not broke :confused:
    You can buy one and keep it as spare incase but if the bike only have few thousand miles then you should not be worry.

15. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Breaks....are you mobile again??? Sucks this happens too far away from home.

16. Scubalong

United States
    Just text him and the mechanic is working on his bike. Connector is toast now they are bypass to get him back on the road.

17. Hotbrakes

Hotbrakes New Member

United States
    She's alive! It won't charge with high beams but holds a steady 14 with low only.

18. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Great. I guess. But there is still something wrong that needs attention soon but at least you can continue on your road trip for now. Can't say as I have ever really "Needed" my high beams but sure to like to use them, especially during daytime riding.

BTW. Where do you get the link for that map you have on the bottom. Seen it many times but each one I have tried does not allow me to colour in the states or provinces I have traveled. Maybe I should try coloring them instead of colouring them.

19. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
    I copied the picture and edited it in MS Paint. That 'fill' tool is pretty easy to use.

20. Hotbrakes

Hotbrakes New Member

United States
    Goggle search color in states us map, should bring up some sites. There's also a place that does an outline decal that you fill in with precut colored states as you go. They come in reflective too. Twowheelvinyl.com

In other news, the bike made it 100 miles and quit in the middle of nowhere on the PCH. I was able to charge it on the Battery Tender off her bike again for twenty minutes and make it 7 miles back to a Napa. Got another battery, a multimeter, and a shop 15 miles up the road to try in the morning. Bike made it 19.5 miles out of a 20 mile journey to a KOA in Manchester. Pushed the last bit... And this morning she died pulling into the shop parking lot 5 miles from the Kampground. The mechanic seems very optimistic about getting it done today or tomorrow. So we're on vacation, stranded, in the most perfect little town of Point Arena. There's beer, coffee, food, and free wifi at the local store.