Help on VFR Purchase 3rd Gen?

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by VFRNoob7, Jun 9, 2012.

1. VFRNoob7

VFRNoob7 New Member

Hey guys I just wanted to get the feedback of this great board on getting a third gen. There is a seems to be a nice example near me and I am in the process of purchasing it. That being said I still need to go pick it up but from the pictures it looks mint! I have always wanted to own a 3rd gen VFR and have saved my monies to do so.

I am stoked that I have found one local and that it appears to be in great condition. I just was wondering if you guys can tell me some trouble spots to look for. I know the RR is original on the bike. But are there other things I should check other then the average brake pads etc? I have heard the rear shock might be toast just due to age? Any thing else you guys can recommend from experience?

Thanks!

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    The 3rd Gen bodywork uses a series of interlocking tabs to hold the pieces together. This is a stupid design and if you don't know how to remove the fairings there is a great likelihood that you will damage or break the tabs which are very difficult to repair so make sure to have the owner show you how to remove them properly. With that being said you should check the tabs themselves for existing damage since replacement bodywork is nearly impossible to find. Other than that and the electrical gremlins you already know about the 3rd gen is a solid machine and should provide you with many more years of pleasure. I agree about the suspension and if possible you may want to consider a CBR 929 rear shock conversion. You can speak with member Jamie Daugherty who sells the conversion kit. Linky below

Daugherty Motorsports - Motorcycle Suspension Performance and Modification

Rollin

3. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    any 20 plus year old bike is gona have bagged out suspension. Goes with the territory/check over-all condition of bike, pop seat look at connectors and condition of battery. Its the little things that I look for, could be a long list to type out here and feeling lazy :tongue:

I can remove my mid section faring in 4 seconds with a dime (actual coin) any-whoooOOOOoooo - luv dah 3rd gen bikes :smile:

4. VFRNoob7

VFRNoob7 New Member

Alrighty hope it all checks out! I am so excited! :)

If I order the R/R from wire my bike is it a direct replacement and just a simple plug and play?

Does putting a heatsink on the R/R actually work? Or am I better off ordering another?

Also are there frame sliders for this bike at all? Or to old?

5. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    If you put frame sliders on dat dear bike, me is gona come ova to ur house and punch yah in ur bread basket yah miscreant!!!

the bike wont benefit from them anyway...there is one on Ebay right now if you search. Granite blue 92 bike...Cheers

6. VFRNoob7

VFRNoob7 New Member

Ya I am not willing to ruin the beautiful fairings to install them thats for sure!

Anyone know about the R/R question I posted?

7. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    Yes the R/R from WireMyBike is a direct swap with no modification needed. You would be better off wiring a small 12v computer fan to the R/R instead of trying to add a simple heat sink.

Rollin

8. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I had an OEM r/r installed with issues, I gots Ricks R/R and its no issues so to speak! of!!! No shame-less advertisements mind-yah...

9. VFRNoob7

VFRNoob7 New Member

Thanks for the help so far! I will order the Wire My Bike once its back in stock. Is the little wiring kit needed or is that for if the R/R ruins your wiring? Do you need a cpu fan on the WMB R/R too or just the stock?

10. VFRNoob7

VFRNoob7 New Member

Picked up my 1993 today with 10k! Such an awesome machine! Never felt such a precision bike under me every thing is so tight. And that power is so buttery smooth! So happy already put like 100Mi on it today! :)

I ordered the R/R stock seems ok but not going to wait till it blows up to replace. These are the tires I am looking at. I dont need anything special because of the VFRs weight correct?

120/70-17 and 170-60-17 correct?
    Michelin Pilot Road 3 Dual Compound Tires - Package Specials - Compacc Seems like a good deal.

11. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    Congrats on your new toy! Please post some pics when you get a chance.

I run 180/55/17 on my rear. It also wouldn't be a bad idea to go ahead and replace the entire wiring harness since it is prone to failure. I had to replace the harness on both the 3rd gens I have owned. Installation of the new harness is easy and should take no more than 30 minutes. Do you mind if I ask how much you paid?

Rollin

12. VFRNoob7

VFRNoob7 New Member

Probably too much, 3.5K but bike is almost mint and has all service records and just was went though tip to tail by dealer and had anything that was remotely weak replaced by them. The PO was impeccable on maintenance so it looks almost like a brand new bike! Its my dream bike so I was ok to pay a little more for a clean one that didnt need work and it came with bags etc. Also was like 10 miles away haha.

The whole bike actually has clear bra on it lol even the triple tree so it wouldn't get scratched by your keychain. PO actually put clear packing tape on the aluminum plates by the pegs so your heels wouldn't scratch them lol!

Runs like a top just needs tires. Actually the tires aren't bad on it but I am anal retentive about used bike tires just dont know the history and they are the only thing between me and the road lol!

Guess I didnt know the harness was weak thought that was a result of the R/R dumping way to much current through it.
    Is this the replacement harness? If I need it I can grab it.
    Wire My Bike

Crap garage pics! I think I am going to have the decals reinstalled.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    Yes that is the harness you need. You already know about the OEM R/R issues but in addition to this the OEM wiring harness uses a wire gauge thickness that is not adequate which causes increased resistance which can lead to burning. Some here on this forum will tell you the OEM harness is fine but as I said before I had to replace the harness on both my previous 3rd Gens so I am talking from experience. As far as price goes I would expect a 3rd gen in that condition to sell for between $3000 and $3500. You might have paid a few hundred more than what the bike is worth but since the bike sounds like it is in great condition with low miles I think you did ok.

Rollin

14. VFRNoob7

VFRNoob7 New Member

Thanks rollin I will order it aswell. Is it pretty easy to install?

15. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    Good looking bike sir!! If you want to clean it up a bit you can get rid of the condom style mirrors by swapping to 5th Gen mirrors made for the 2000 and 2001 models. I've included a link to the thread I started about the mirror replacement. You might also want to considering losing the stalk type rear turn signals and moving the turn signals directly behind the lenses located on either side of the brake light. Installing the wiring harness is very simple since you can just leave the existing harness on the bike and run the new harness alongside it.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/3rd-4th-...rors-emgo-replacement-mirrors-my-3rd-gen.html

Rollin

16. VFRNoob7

VFRNoob7 New Member

Found some decals online. Honda VFR 750 Decal Set 1993 Model

Are the OEM ones crazy expensive?

Does the 180 Rear screw up the speedo at all?

Is the wiring harness easy to install?

17. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    :highfive: Awsome find/awsome bike!!!...Since I have owned my third gen bike I have always used a 180 tyre on the rear along with 120 up front. Been thru every tyre combo from Metzler, Michelin, Dunlops...I swear by the Michelin Man for years now.

Lose the rear turn signals and integrate em into the rear tail. What eva you do, dont cut that beautiful, functional rear tail section, er someone is gona punch yah in your bread basket!!!

Some parts of bikes are nice when they develope a patina IMHO...my high-mileager, you should see the heel guards!!! that adds character. As far as a scar-ed-up triple tree??? I HATE THAT. if a previous owner did that, I would punch em in the bread-brasket :evil: :grin:

18. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    tools 002.jpg

Dats me

19. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    that was before clutch master along with new slave was replaced. Had a low master...

20. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    You bought that Colorado bike? Welcome to the forum from Ft Collins area. :wave: