HELP- I need input on a new VFR 800 or ???

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by bravastar1, Mar 6, 2015.

1. bravastar1

bravastar1 New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the input-New VFR is Ordered

HI all, I am new to VFR's and this forum. I got back into bike's about 6 months ago after a 17 year break from riding. I had a son and life changed for all those years. My wife actually suggested I get another bike. I found a very clean one owner low mileage 2007 VFR 800. When I got it there were 10,200 miles on it. The owner had just put new tires on it and had the 8K service done A very good friend rode it and he too fell in love. He now wants to buy my bike. I have been looking around for a quality replacement and have not found the right bike yet. I have considered a BMW K1300S, Ninja 1000 and a few others. I happened into a local Honda dealer yesterday and found a 2014 VFR 800 DLX in white with 800 miles on it. I must say it is a beauty and is on consignment. They have what I think is a stupid price on the bike,$13,299. I have done quite a bit of looking on the net and have found several dealers that are selling NEW 2014 Standard VFR's for about $8900 including their dealer fees. It looks like these are not selling well as many dealers are heavily discounting the STD model and a pretty good discount on the DLX. it also looks like there is a $1500 rebate on these bikes that many dealers are giving to the customer in price reduction.

It appears to me that my 2007 and a 2014 are almost the same bike with a few upgrades but the same engine and same HP. I am really on the fence about selling mine only to upgrade to the same bike,just 7 years newer. I am a 60 year old guy that rides pretty sanely these days. Fast sweepers are still fun for me but gone are the days of canyon carving. I usually limit my day trips to about 250 miles and do not plan on any touring. I doubt if my wife will ever be on the back with me on any rides.

More HP would be fun but I don't really need it. The BMW makes 175 HP but is pretty heavy and feels big. I have not ridden this model yet,just sat on one. The Ninja 1000 feels good under me but the quality just does not appear to be up to the Honda. I think I would be willing to pay $10k for the consignment 2014 VFR but I have doubts as to whether it can be bought for that or not. My friend has made me a standing offer of $5500 for my bike so out of pocket will not be bad at all. I guess I am looking for some--"What would you do" comments or suggestions of other bikes to look at. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  2. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Did you get any farkles on the bike when you bought it ?

I would suggest just keeping your bike, low milage, and spend the extra cash on getting the suspension sorted out, heli's, maybe a a PC5,--------think comfort tweaking is alot better the more horse power, especially at your age...I'm not far behind you......
    Really need 175 horsepower???
    And if ya really like the white, paint yours the white.
    But hey that's just my opinion ...... good luck what ever you do.
    Oh and welcome to the asylum.

3. 74ullc

74ullc New Member

Welcome to the forum.

So they are asking just $200 less than MSRP for a used bike? Nuts.

I've been thinking about buying a new bike this year also. The Ninja 1000 is one I'm considering. I found this thread....it's on a Kaw forum so keep that in mind.....

http://www.riderforums.com/3rd-gen-...ja-1000-vs-2014-vfr800-deluxe-i-ll-start.html

You own a 2007 so it may not be an issue for you, but one thing I keep reading about with new bikes is jerky or snatchy throttles. The newest bike I have ridden is my 1984 VF700 so I don't know how bad it will be to me to jump onto a new bike. This single issue has me questioning buying a new bike. Pretty sad. I think the Honda VTEC helps with this problem?

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/popular/motodna-jerky-throttles/

Looks like a reflash fixes the problem but don't know what that does for your warranty??? Or if you're in a state that requires emissions testing on bikes.

4. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    Normally, I'd know a lot about this model by now, but I had purchased a 2010 Viffer 1200 in 2011, so I haven't paid much attention to it, other than to say it looks like it has the same power plant, and Honda is advertising it as having VTEC, so it should have lots of roost. I cannot comment on how it handles, but I did notice that it doesn't have the inverted suspension. It might pay to just examine the suspension setup to see if it's adjustable, and you might as well look at the rear spring [for adjustment] as well. Check the brake calipers as well. Are they two piston or four piston?
    I see that they've added traction control, which makes the bike seem like good value.
    It looks like Honda has done something unique with the frame, where the twin spars would normally run past the engine. I can't say for sure what they've done, but I think it was done as a weight saving measure.
    The positioning and shape of the tank tells me that they've sourced some of the parts from Thailand, or possibly produced the bike in Thailand. Since the previous generation of the engine was built in Japan, this engine is also likely still built there, but I cannot say for sure. I would check the country of origin on the manufacturer's label that is usually on the head tube. The country stated would likely be the country of assembly, but not necessarily the country where the parts were sourced from. I'm not saying it matters that much, but it might give you some indication as to whether Honda is trying to save some money on the chassis, drivetrain, frame, and bodywork - since the engine is still made in [high-priced] Japan.
    If I didn't have the 1200, I would take a real good look at the 800, and make it one of my top three choices.

5. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    Does anyone have some pics of a new 800 to post?

6. bravastar1

bravastar1 New Member

United States
    Map
    It had a Garmin on it when I bought it.

[​IMG]

7. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
  8. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    That's a totally classy bike, and I wouldn't sell it for anything if I was you. I regret the day I parted with my VFR800, and bought the VFR 1200 the next day as a total knee jerk reaction to selling it. KEEP YOUR BIKE! I like the new 1200, but I miss the handling of the 800, the light feel, and I definitely miss the VTEC (I think the only people that complain about the VTEC are people that have never actually tried it - it adds a totally new dimension to performance riding and I loved it).

9. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    I think there's several phases of "like" when it comes to your VFR, or to anything you own, for that matter:
    1) Initial elation
    2) Contentedness with the status quo
    3) Marginal unhappiness. Your eyes start to wander, you start to do a bit of research
    4) Contemplation of selling
    5) Commitment to selling
    6) Actually selling or HANGING ON. And if you hang on, through the trends, you end up with:
    7) Ultimate happiness with your decision. Most people never get this far (including me - I wished I had kept my VFR 800. I parted with it at stage 4, where I only contemplated selling, but had a buyer).
    If you get to the last stage, you end up achieving another level of happiness that comes with longevity.

10. 74ullc

74ullc New Member

That bike looks showroom fresh....I'd stick with it!

11. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    I doubt that you, or anyone, would really notice the performance differences between the two models unless you are somehow pushing the envelope of performance. The other thing is that if you go for the newer bike, you still have a bike with manufacturing-spec components, which doesn't necessarily give you the performance (or thrill) that most of us seek. Have you considered new high performance tires? What about some specific suspension adjustments?

12. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!
    Been there, regret, anger....comes down to it, your choice. ..you made a GREAT choice, home run after 17 years, don't blow it.

13. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    Have you checked with Honda to see if you can still get the color-matched bags for it? A good investment if you're thinking about some touring.

14. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    I don't remember that color. Was that from 2007? I thought the tri color red/white/blue was 2007. Was there two color choices?

15. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I bought my 2014 Deluxe, with saddle bags and quick shifter slightly used with 2650 miles for $12,999, that's about $1800 off the MSRP. Even with 800 miles, no saddle bags and no quick shifter ($300) it should sell for less, go negotiate, you will love it.

16. bravastar1

bravastar1 New Member

United States
    Map
    There were two colors in 2007. Candy Glory Red (mine) and RWB. Thanks for all the input!

17. whitedove

whitedove New Member

Buy!!

I did it....no regrets. I got my 2014 at $200 over dealer cost, so you should be able to do the same with the dealer (plus delivery charges). My 2006 model really was hard to part since i was afraid the new one would be different so much that i still prefer it, but the new one isn't so changed that i miss the older VFR. The new one is a more "refined" version of the sixth generation to describe it best, i like that its lighter, a little slimmer since the radiator is front mounted and has a handling feel that i think is improved, the brakes and engine are very smooth. i got all the extras, heated grips et al. $5500 for the old bike is fair and he's your friend and you can get into the new one. it's a great bike, does all well. Glad i never got the ninja since they had a million recalls since i considered getting one once, i had the BMW, it is more cumbersome in its handling and maintenance is pricier, glad its gone. I'm 64 and can carve with this bike as well as ride conservatively, life isn't over, my typical rides are 250-350 miles too, so enjoy and be safe, pull the trigger, new is good and you'll never need any other bike.

18. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    If you liked your 6th gen, you are going to love the 8th gen. Me personally, I couldn't sell my 6th gen fast enough. I actually made excuses not to ride because that bike bored me so much. The 5th gen was my favorite bike ever, but it was getting outdated and I am not skilled enough to add the updates that I wanted. The day after I sold my 6th gen, I bought my 7th gen. The only thing I miss from the 5th gen is the sound of the exhaust and gear driven cams.

19. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    Wow, jayzonk, you really don't know much about the new VFR800. Pretty much all of your questions are answered in this 8th gen forum. As for the op, I had the same exact 2007 as you for 4 years and loved it. The color was one of my favorite things about it. I got compliments on pretty much every ride I went on! I put about 36k miles on it in those 4 years and started pondering a new bike when Honda announced the 2014. Last August, I traded the 2007 for a brand new red 2014 DLX (only got $500 off msrp, so I paid too much). I absolutely love the new bike. The only thing I miss from the 2007 is the color. I should admit, however, that I'm only 45 and live for the canyons. The new bike handles so much better in the twisties that it makes me ride even faster than I did on the old bike (which is a dangerous proposition, for sure!). With your less aggressive riding preference, it's hard to fully recommend upgrading at this time. You might want to keep the 2007 for another year or two and then revisit the idea. By then there should be some super cheap, dusty old stock sitting in some dealers waiting to be snatched up for a song! If you do decide to get a new one, don't bother with the standard, even if they're a lot cheaper. It's worth the extra $ for the DLX, unless of course you don't care about ABS, Traction control, Adjustable suspension, Heated grips, Self canceling turn signals, and a Centerstand! If you don't care about those things, and can get a standard for under $9k, go for it! That's an amazing price.

20. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Tuff choice for sure. The big questions is do you really want a new bike? If you really like yours that much, then put a rear shock on it, a Jamie Daughtery fork kit and it should have a ride as good if not better than the new bike. That should get you a more comfortable, stable and better handling for the way you ride. I ride a lot like you fast enough to just keep the pegs off the pavement when boogieing. Plus the color is super. Same as my bike and I love it. Depending on the light it will cast shadows and or change tone a bit.

You can get Givi luggage w/Motech pop off brackets which just leave tabs on the bike for a cleaner look. Or factory luggage. I would think both bikes would do long distance the same as well as short ones.

I do like the looks of the new 800. I sat on one at the Cleveland mc show. It is narrow and felt light. ABS would be nice if you don't have it. Traction control meh, I don't think it's needed. It's new and probably smells good too.

So do you want a new bike or just a great bike to have fun on?