Hello

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Wheezy, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Wheezy

Wheezy New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi all,

thanks for the add.

I’m a former VFR400 owner back in the 90’s. This was my rather lovely bike I owned for 3 years before selling in 1998.
    BAFCF779-0880-48C6-8868-B132F90DF674.jpeg

Anyway, skip forward 23 years, no bikes, 1 wife and 2 children later and I ve developed the urge to ride a bike again. It just so happens that my dad has an old RC24 cluttering up his garage that needs some TLC. It used to belong to my brother but an electrical fault saw it stored away 15 years’ ago and it’s not been touched since.
    0D281055-5DFB-4D92-AFDA-229F86632E32.jpeg

I’ve been lurking on here for a while and seen some amazing full rebuilds. I’m aiming to get this bike running by next Easter. I’m not planning a full strip down and rebuild as I don’t have an indoor space to work on the bike, but I’m just looking to have a safe runner. It’s an ‘86 gen 1 on a UK C plate. Looks pretty stock. I do have the original fairings too, although they will need some fixing as some of the mounting points have been broken.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  2. Wheezy

Wheezy New Member

United Kingdom
    AB2B806C-94E6-4490-B8CD-F15FBE037556.jpeg DBF2F848-E8D5-4003-921E-FF9E74E97D34.jpeg A few more pics.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    Thumbs likes this.
  3. Wheezy

Wheezy New Member

United Kingdom
    Fairings as wall art.
    68811D7B-E18E-4AA5-B824-3A0E6EC8D7E0.jpeg

4. Waylander

Waylander New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Nice little project, good luck with it

VF1000F2F, now rideable,

Wheezy likes this.
  5. Wheezy

Wheezy New Member

United Kingdom
    Many thanks!

6. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    That’s in pretty good condition for 15 years of neglect, there’s lots of parts on eBay

Those broken fairing tabs are no problem to repair, my RC24 came with all the right side damaged including a chunk missing from the fairing, all solved with acetone and ABS sheet

Joe at V4dreams.com is going to be a blessing

Whereabouts are you?

Wheezy likes this.
  7. Wheezy

Wheezy New Member

United Kingdom
    I haven’t had a chance to have a really good look at it yet as we are still in the process of getting it to my place. There’s a bit of surface corrosion on the rear subframe that need sorting. Front end looks in good condition. The clutch servo is broken so that will need sorting along with all the fuel system. I’ve been lurking on this forum and a couple of Facebook groups and started to record all the websites and retailers that look like I might purchase parts from. Hopefully there’s nothing too serious to deal with and I can just focus on getting a running engine before turning to brakes, steering etc.

I’m based in South West London.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Welcome! That will be a good project and bike.

Wheezy likes this.
  9. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    By “the clutch servo is broken” I assume you mean the slave cylinder, which is a breeze to put new seals in

You have to either put new Viton seals in the carbs or make sure you only use Esso Synergy 99, otherwise the ethanol will eat them

Despite the pump having an E5 sticker on it currently doesn’t contain ethanol, you’ll have to check if it’s available near you ….never mind the fuel shortage boris is saying isn’t happening

My 89 bike needed the brakes overhauled including new pistons (the old ones were rusted in solid) the discs are nowhere near as rusty as yours so take that into account, actually I’ve got a pair of lightly used discs for the front of yours I bought as a package for the rear disc if those are past saving

Wheezy likes this.
  10. Wheezy

Wheezy New Member

United Kingdom
    Sorry, yes, master cylinder’s broken. I’m hoping the discs will clean up with some wet n’ dry or wire wool. I had no idea about the E10 issue until starting to research stuff for this bike but I think I’ll aim to make it E10 compatible while I’ve got the tank out and carbs off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumbs likes this.