Headlight Harness replacement

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by xpcgamer, Nov 19, 2019.

1. xpcgamer

xpcgamer New Member

United States
    So I was riding and smelled plastic (YIKES!). So when I got home I noticed that both of the headlight buckets for the low beams are pretty cooked. I need to find a replacement harness but all I see for sale used ones from an 03. There was a recall for 2002-05 and since mine is an 07 I am not in that pool of bikes. Think I can use the 03 with out issue? Bike has a Mosfet RR with a new wires. I want to install LED bulbs since I am sure they will pull less current than the normal 55 watt bulbs but I need to remedy this first.

2. Camp

Camp New Member

United States
    Map
    The h4 and h7 pigtails are easy to find online or at an autoparts store. As long as the main part of the harness hasn't burned it's much easier to simply replace the plugs. Usually a better quality plug anyway.

3. xpcgamer

xpcgamer New Member

United States
    Ordered ceramic plugs. Should have them tomorrow.

4. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Melted bulb wiring is not normal.
    On a 2007 that wiring guage is plenty good enough for normal loads from the headlights.

Before just replacing the loom I would try and find out why this happened.

Do you have a voltmeter - ideally one fitted on the bike? If so did it show any abnormal voltage and did the low beams or other bulbs blow? If more than one bulb blows in quick succession that is a sign of over volts as the regulator is failing.

If possible check the voltage across battery terminals with engine off, engine ticking over and then running at 5,000 RPM + - if you get readings above 15 volts then the regulator element of the RR could be faulty if it is well above 20+ then your RR definitely needs replacement.

Any chance the wiring in that section of the loom has been damaged or chafed creating a short circuit somewhere? Inspect closely for signs or melting.

Have you had any work done in that area that might have caused the problem?

Good luck - let us know how you get on

SkiMad