Half-day sport touring ride on 9/2/12!

Discussion in 'USA - Northeast' started by BootBuckle, Aug 28, 2012.

1. BootBuckle

BootBuckle New Member

Note: The trip will be starting and ending in Baltimore, MD. If you have any interest in joining me, read on!

Below is my planned route for Sunday. Beginning and ending points are going to be nailed down later this week, but will be right off of the beltway for easy access to anyone who wants to join. Will be planning a stop for coffee and a bite in Westminster, and lunch + ice cream in Frederick. The route shown below just shoots through Westminster and Frederick, but I will refine the plans as the week goes on.

Depart at 9:30, coffee and a snack in Westminster from 10:30 until 11:00, Lunch in Frederick from 12:30 until 1:30, arrive back at the Baltimore beltway around 3:00. Post up if you are interested in joining me on the ride, or if you have suggestions for alterations. I hope to see a few of you there (and I hope that at least one of you has a GPS)!

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...;FcpsWAIdEPFs-w&t=h&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=11&z=10

This is the first route I've ever planned, so if you have comments lets keep them friendly! Note that I've posted this same thread on the STN and ADVrider forums. I'll be updating the route by Friday at the latest with suggested changes and more details on stopping points. I hope to see some of you there!

2. TA-Rocks

TA-Rocks New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey, I would like to catch up with you guys near my area, since I live in Gettysburg, it makes sense for me to catch up with you at Westminster or Frederick. I can be reached at 240-393-7625.
    VFR800 99 TA-Rocks
    Thanks, Robert

3. BootBuckle

BootBuckle New Member

Sounds good, looking forward to meeting you Robert. I'll be in touch a bit later in the week.

4. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    What's the planned "pace" of the ride and do you care if I bring HD's?

5. BootBuckle

BootBuckle New Member

To be honest, I'm not really sure what the pace will be. I definitely wouldn't call it laid back, but I wouldn't call it "19 year old w/ a Mohawk helmet" either. Let's plan on a "spirited but safe" speed, with frequent stops as necessary to keep the group together. I personally have no issues with HD's; the proverbial "wind in your hair" feels the same no matter what you're riding.

*I could trail off on a "love of riding" speech, but I'll save you all the agony.

6. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    Cool, then hopefully I will see yall up there sunday mornin, maybe with a few in tow, we shall see. PM me the meetup addy whenever you get a chance so I can plan out.

7. BootBuckle

BootBuckle New Member

Will do tonight. Thanks for your interest.

8. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I hope we will see some photos posted on 9/3.

Have a great ride.

9. BootBuckle

BootBuckle New Member

Ok all, here is the finalized itinerary:

The ride will start at “Stone Mill Bakery” (Granola Cookies, Hot Chocolate, Homemade Marshmallows : Lutherville, Baltimore, MD), which is just a few hundred yards up Falls Road off the NW Baltimore Beltway. I plan to arrive between 8:00 and 8:30, and will be having a light breakfast and some coffee. Anyone who would like to join me is more than welcome. I’ve never been to the Stone Mill Bakery before, so I can’t comment on the prices or the quality of food and service.

We will be on the bikes, pulling out of the parking lot at 9:30am; if you are the type who is late to everything, please leave yourself a little extra time.

Departure Location: Stone Mill Bakery - 10751 Falls Road, Timonium, MD – Depart at 9:30am.

From the Stone Mill Bakery, we will be heading North on Falls Road (MD Route 25) for about 16 miles. We will make a left on Gunpowder Road which turns into Mt. Carmel Road, and will be on this stretch for about three miles before hitting a traffic circle. We will take the first exit off of the traffic circle (Black Rock Road, Route 833) and will continue for about a mile until it comes to a T at Hanover Pike/Main Street. We will make that right; go for about a half of a mile and make a left onto Route 482 West. We will take Route 482 West for about 5.5 miles, going through one traffic circle. From there, we will take Route 27 South 2.5 miles into Westminster, where we will turn onto 140W/97N and make the first right to stop at Panera Bread, allowing riders coming down from PA to meet up with us. I figure we’ll grab a cup of coffee and generally relax for a bit while my noob right hand regains feeling (save your comments, I already know).

First Stop: Panera Bread - 200 Clifton Boulevard, Westminster, MD – 10:20am to 11:00am

I plan to depart at 11:00am sharp, so any PA riders who plan on meeting us in Westminster; please leave yourself a little extra time. From Panera, we will hop on Route 140 West for about 12 miles, and then make a left onto Route 194 South. We will be on Route 194 for a quick 5 miles, and will hop on 77 West for about 13.5 miles. Once Route 77 goes through Thurmont, it appears to “enter the woods”… we should be treated to some beautiful and fun riding. We will then make a left onto Catoctin Hollow Road, where the true highlight of the trip begins. We will go for three miles, and make a right on Mink Farm Road. Mink Farm Road turns into Tower Road which merges into Gambrill Park Road, and the whole stretch will account for about 12 delightful miles of the trip. Again, this should be a very fun portion of the trip which will end at a T with Route 40. We will wait at the T for all of the riders to regroup, as I assume some will want to elevate the pace through the aforementioned stretch.

Once the group has reformed, we will take a fairly short stretch of Route 40 East into Frederick. Right before Route 40 merges with Route 15, we will stay straight (going under Route 15) and the road will become Route 144 (West Patrick Street). When West Patrick Street becomes a one way street, its name changes to West South Street. We will be on West South Street for just under a mile before making a left onto South Market Street and an immediate right into the parking lot of Black Hog Barbeque & Bar where we will stop for lunch (Black Hog Barbeque & Bar - Fine Quality Barbeque and Service). I’ve never been there, but the place looks absolutely amazing. I’m really looking forward to it.

Lunch Stop: Black Hog BBQ & Bar - 118 South Market St., Frederick, MD – 12:30 to 1:30

Since nobody is meeting us at Lunch (that I know of), we don’t need to have an exact departure time—we’ll play it by ear. After lunch, we will hop back on South Market Street for a few blocks before making a right on East Church Street. This will become Gas House Pike which will become Monocacy Blvd, and the three streets combined (no turns) will be a 3.5 mile stretch. From here we will take Route 26 East for a long 30 mile stretch. After going over the second bridge over Liberty Lake, we will make the first right and an immediate right into a church parking lot where we will say things like “goodbye”, “great meeting you all”, and “Cal is the most badass trip planner of all time”. Hopping back on route 26 East will bring you back to the Baltimore Beltway (Route 695), but I imagine that people living North or South of Baltimore will want to peel off. If you are heading back to the Baltimore beltway, expect to arrive around 3:00pm. Please note that route 26 becomes very “not fun” after liberty lake; please plan accordingly.

Thank you all again for your interest, and I am looking forward to meeting you. I can be reached at 610-717-7356 with any questions that need immediate answers—otherwise, just send me a PM. Feel free to call or text any time before 10:00 pm. The link below should show the planned route, for your reference. I do not have a GPS, so if anyone has one, please bring it along. If you do not have a GPS, please take some time to familiarize yourself with the map of the planned route, as I’m hoping we can take turns leading the pack. The pace will be deemed “Spirited but Safe”, and if for some reason somebody gets pulled over, the group will stop at the next planned turn and wait for the lawless individual. Please note that if somebody goes down, I do not take liability or responsibility for financial or medical damages, up to and including death. Please also note that the Forums which I have posted this itinerary to are equally not liable or responsible. Ride at your own risk, and as always, have a good time!

-Cal

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...C1j-w;FX4fWQIdDQ5r-w&t=h&mra=mr&via=3,13&z=11

10. BootBuckle

BootBuckle New Member

THE RIDE IS NOW LEAVING FROM "THE FILLING STATION" ON YORK ROAD, A FEW MILES NORTH OF THE BELTWAY

The place that I originally listed as the starting point is closed on Sundays. Sorry for any confusion.

11. BootBuckle

BootBuckle New Member