Got it all shined up...

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by Swin3Flu, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Swin3Flu

Swin3Flu New Member

...and then was plowed sitting at a stop light on the way to work this morning! :mad: Taking it to the shop in the morning to see the extent of the damage. Luckily i was not seriously injured. Just tweeked my left wrist and left leg a bit. The helmet, gloves, and jacket did what they were supposed to do!

Here's the pic i took yesterday after i finished the detail work.

[​IMG]

2. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    First and foremost, I'm glad you're OK and able to post this. Secondly, as of yesterday, your bike looks fantastic. With the age of your bike, there are fewer and fewer in that kind of shape. So what kind of damage do you have? Can it be repaired?

3. Swin3Flu

Swin3Flu New Member

The damage is mostly consmetic (which concerns me because farings are getting hard to find). The left side cover, front faring, left bar end, left mirror, left driver's and passenger's foot pegs, shift lever, clutch lever, and the tail has some rash on it. Prior to this the bike had two scrathes (approx 2" long) on the right side right below the turn signal. The other guy's insurance is picking up the tab however...as most on this board know, that's not the point!

4. firebirdjimbo

firebirdjimbo New Member

it would be nice if drivers knew how to open their eyes. i would hate for that to happen to me, and im glad your bike and you are ok for the most part.

5. Swin3Flu

Swin3Flu New Member

This particular driver was on his cell...:mad:Another thing that kind of irritates me is the fact I was laying underneath the bike in the on coming lane and the people driving toward me just drive around. It wasn't until I was able to get the bike upright that an older guy stopped and said he had called the police.:crazy:

6. firebirdjimbo

firebirdjimbo New Member

dip shits. oh, he has a 600lbs bike on him, he'll be just fine... people these days.

7. Swin3Flu

Swin3Flu New Member

Yeah I thought it to be quite amazing that not one person stopped as I was laying in the other lane with the bike on top of me...Crazy! Although the driver of the car did come up to me(after he hung up his phone) and said...and I quote "I'm sorry man". For all he knew my leg was broken in half under the motorcycle and all you have to say is sorry? I then flipped up the visor, looked at him and said "I'm god damn mad, get back to your f#@$&*! car" and he did just that.

8. tweak740

tweak740 New Member

i would have prolly beat somebodys ass, thats shitty how someone can just say "im sorry man"
    anyway if the 3rd gen pegs are the same, then i have the 2 left ones you need pm me if your interested.

9. Mark 024

Mark 024 New Member

Australia
    Map
    Glad you are okay.

10. Swin3Flu

Swin3Flu New Member

Received the call today. The bike was a mere $52 from being totalled. Approx $300 in mechanical parts, $500 in labor and...$1600 in plastics! Thanks for your concerns! I'll be riding again soon enough!

11. ZenMoto

ZenMoto New Member

United States
    Map
    Great news! ...if they can still get you OEM plastics, you may be better off in the long run; those plastics get pretty brittle with age and exposure.

Glad to hear they're taking care of your bike (and really glad you're ok).

12. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    Fuckin asshole!!!! Glad you're ok and they didn't total your girl.

13. Swin3Flu

Swin3Flu New Member

I was really surprised but the OE plastics are still available. I am equally as glad they didn't total the bike!

14. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    I'm shocked that you can still get them. That is a huge bonus. Aftermarket doesn't even come close. Since you're within $52 of being totaled, does that mean that you won't have a salvage title?

15. Swin3Flu

Swin3Flu New Member

Exactly!!! I told the Honda shop that I REALLY wanted to avoid a "Total Loss" if I could. If I was going to take a "cosmetic" hit then that's just the risk I took riding an older bike that looks great. I guess it would have been different if it were a POS but this happens not to be. However I made it clear my main concern was of course the "mechanical" condition of the bike (i.e. - clutch lever, wheel, fork alignment etc.) The only thing I will have to repair myself is the bezel around the inner part of the windscreen. The service advisor had called and went over the estimate with me and basically said she was able to get everything "major" without "totaling" the bike.

16. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    I occasionally see/read the rumor that 4th gen plastics are NLA. This is completely untrue. I've been to Honda HQ many times for work-related stuff, and seen the pallets and pallets of 4th gen plastics myself. Tanks, too. I've had them pull them for me in the past to insure the paint matched (REALLY hard on this model with the flake in the red paint) and I went thru probably 30-40 boxes until I liked what I saw. And that was only a couple pallets.

17. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    I'm glad you're ok.

i hope you're back on the bike soon.