Gerbings gear on a 1997

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by Guaire, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Guaire

Guaire New Member

United States
    Map
    I saw a post for an '02 with Gerbings using search. I've got a 1997 and want to know will it take a Gerbings rig. Here goes. Here's the post I saw:
    http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/22137-VFR-Heated-gear-capacity

I have the roadstercycle.com regulator/rectifier!

I talked to Gerbings. My jacket will take 7.1 or 7.2 amps. I believe that's a max of 86.4 watts. The pants run at 4.1 to 4.2 amps. I believe the max is 50.4 watts.
    I plan on using an Eastern Beaver 3 connector fuse box, (with a relay). I can connect them with a dual connector rheostat. http://www.thewarmingstore.com/tourmaster-synergy-dual-rheostat-controller.html
    I ran the jacket on my 2006 Yamaha FJR1300. I didn't need full power. It would have been overwhelming. Probably in regular use, I won't be running at full power amps/watts.
    I have a factory VFR device manual, but that isn't experience.
    Anyone with experience or good enough relevant experience say if I can safely run this set up on my 1997?
    Cheers,
    Bill

2. rjgti

rjgti New Member

that would add 151 watss to load. you have 470 watts total. so add up your load. 2 x55w (headlights)=110. then another 20 wats for misc and you should be good to go

3. Guaire

Guaire New Member

United States
    Map
    Thank you, rjgti. My beams are running 45/45. Either way I've got the headroom for the juice. Cool. I'm using "Mobile Warming" battery contained, heated gloves that work plenty on keeping hands warm.
    I got out yesterday at 43 degrees on my 1982 Nighthawk 450 and it was cold, no windscreen either. I figure the VFR will be my all weather touring bike.
    Bill