General Power Commander III info for all VFR800s

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by dehning, Feb 7, 2010.

1. dehning

dehning New Member

Map
    I had a hard time finding compatibility info for the PCIII so I thought I'd share my findings with the community. Some of my findings may be wrong so feedback is appreciated. (I have installed a PCIII USB intended for a '06 VFR800 on my '99 VFR800 and it's running great.)

Facts:
    1. It appears that all years of VFR800 use the same PCIII USB hardware (Model # 111-410 I believe)
    2. All that's different are the maps, even the firmware on the device seems to be the same.
    3. The plugs on the PCIII seem to compatible with all years of VFR800
    4. You can download the latest firmware, maps and enhancements from powercommander.com without cost or registration.
    5. There is a new enhancement for the PCIII (USB Only) called Accelerator Pump which allows the PCIII to respond differently according to how you are using the throttle. It works on my '99 so it should work on all VFR800s.
    6. It appears that the cable length may differ according to which bike it was intended for, but it still fits.

The reason I ended up with the wrong year is that it was a good deal on eBay.
    As far as performance goes, it's great. I've had a PCIII USB on my CBR1100xx for a while and appreciate how smooth the power is. With the PCIII installed on the VFR800, it too is noticeably smoother and easier to ride. The accelerator pump is a nice bonus and definitely makes the bike feel more lively during spirited riding.

[​IMG]

2. revguy

revguy New Member

Canada
    Map
    did you have to get exhaust sensor eliminators? or just plug it in?

3. prnc81

prnc81 New Member

Map
    What maps did you use? I've just installed a PCIII but the nearest Dyno shop can't do a custom map until next week. I figured I'd try to load something as I have TBR M-2 V.A.L.E. Exhaust and K&N Air Filter - haven't done the snorkel or pair valve mods on my bike.
    Thanks!

4. dehning

dehning New Member

Map
    The 98 & 99 don't have O2 sensors.

5. dehning

dehning New Member

Map
    I'm just running the map for stock or high flow air filter and stock muffler (not the zero map). I have an ART muffler, but I enjoy the quiet on the stock muffler more.

6. prnc81

prnc81 New Member

Map
    Thanks again - I'm installing the PCIII software on my laptop so I can try to modify the map that was preloaded on my PCIII. I thought I had seen a few posts related to which maps worked best with 6th Gen VFR (2007) but I can't seem to find them now...

7. dehning

dehning New Member

Map
    I'd update the main firmware, install the accelerator pump feature and then put in a pretty flat map before I started tweaking with it.

8. camnz1

camnz1 New Member

Map
    I'm considering buying a unit off a mate who ran it on his 98 VFR. Hopefully it'll plug an play on my 98 VFR, or I can look at the maps, I guess
    the zero map to start with as bike just standard, except for an aftermarket exhaust.

9. dehning

dehning New Member

Map
    I'm sure it will just plug and play, as I have said:
    1. Update to the new firmware off their site
    2. I'd install the optimized for stock maps, not the zero map.
    3. Personally I like the effect of the accelerator pump, so I'd install that too.

BTW, since going to the PC3, my exhaust burns a much healthier color (on all my bikes with the PC3 that is!)

10. myke_w

myke_w New Member

Map
    Can you talk about the advantages of using the accelerator pump?

11. dehning

dehning New Member

Map
    Whether it's an advantage I'll leave up for discussion however, I'll relay my experience.

Apparently real accelerator pumps were somewhat common in later carbed sportbikes so DynoJet developed this software function for their units. Basically, it's primary function is to provide smaller capacity bikes extra fuel during a roll-on on that you might perform during a corner. Supposedly smaller bikes are prone to monetarily lean condition then. The function (on a PCIII) only executes if you open your throttle more than a certain amount within a certain time-frame. The effect I feel is that the bike feels very quick to respond to accelerator input. After putting a good few months on it, I'm actually going to try turning it off this weekend and seeing if the lack of the function is as apparent (in case I've been deluding myself!)

Will let you know!

12. myke_w

myke_w New Member

Map
    awesome thanks!

13. dehning

dehning New Member

Map
    Wow!
    I've been riding with the accelerator pump function enabled on my PCIII for about 6 months now so I decided to disable it to see if I could feel the difference or if it really was all in my head...
    Let me tell you, it's definitely not in my head. The difference was clear as day on my ride into work this morning.

So here's the dilemma:
    Now that I have disabled the function, I noticed that almost all the roughness below 3K RPM has disappeared which is a good thing, but the bike has lost a ton of spunk. With the function enabled, the bike would take off so quickly with quick throttle movements that I had to really hang on. Now it's just fairly smooth and reasonably quick, almost bland in comparison if you will.

There are a few accelerator pump related settings that you can tweak and I may have to see if I can find a happy medium now.

Wow, what a difference!

dhinson66 likes this.
  14. KenTastic

KenTastic New Member

And I thought I had to buy a 5th-Gen-Specific PCIII for my 99! This is good to know! Thanks for sharing!

dhinson66 likes this.
  15. tlukonen

tlukonen New Member

What about the power commander II for the 1998 is the model just to out dated or can it still get you what you need?

16. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Excellent find there! Just curious how is the gas mileage?

17. shorawitz

shorawitz New Member

Map
    Has anyone put up a Howto site or F.A.Q. for the PCIII and VFR's? I'd like to play around w/mine, but not sure where to start, what nobs to fiddle, and which levers to pull (technical terms!) I bought my bike w/it installed all ready.

18. dehning

dehning New Member

Map
  19. ToyWG

ToyWG New Member

Map
    Ha!! This is cool. I just got my own 99,looked under the seat when I got it home and there was one of these. Mine is missing the three little buttons but thats it. I went to the site for it and I am just learning about this piece. I imagine the cat that installed it set it up ok, the bike runs like a bat out of hell. It also came with a tuned exhaust and does not seem to be running rich, popping or anything weird, but Im gonna look closly into this to find out more . If you guys have info that might help, please let me know. Im a new guy round here. Came over from the ST1300s. I luve this VFR. What a nice change over the heavy beast I was ridding. Wow!!! Glad to be here guys. Thank you.

20. dehning

dehning New Member

Map
    Firstly welcome!

Secondly, IF you have a Power Commander III USB, try the latest firmware + the accelerator pump feature, it's neat.