Garage door opener

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by AKVFR, Feb 4, 2013.

1. AKVFR

AKVFR New Member

Trying to figure out and where to mount a gargage door opener on my bike for easy access to garage when returning from a ride. Current opener is a sears with the opener that clips to the visor in a vehicle.

2. white_335i

white_335i New Member

I have mine in the jeans front pocket and when I am approaching the garage, I hit the button from the outside of the pocket. Not the answer you are looking for, but is easy to do:)

3. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Easy way is to put on top of your tank bag or on the side pocket.
    Other solution is get a switch from Radio Shack hard wire the wires to the remote switch
    Velco the remote under the fairing and mount the switch on the dash or top of front fairing. Voila good luck

4. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    I'm interested in where this goes as I am planning on getting a garage door opener soon.

5. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Have the exact opener---took off the clip and have it in my inside pocket of my Tourmaster jacket. Works for me

6. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
  7. 1SWTVFR

1SWTVFR New Member

Look up a "Flash to Pass Opener". Worth every penny. Easy to install. Around $80.00 bucks. Hit the high beams and wah lah, the door opens. One of the best investments I've made in regards to my bikes.

8. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Pretty pricey for a garage opener. So if you pull up to your garage in your car and flash your brights will it open?

9. woody2408

woody2408 New Member

10. 1SWTVFR

1SWTVFR New Member

You can buy additional transmitters for additional vehicles if you choose. Yes it would work with your car. Buy one opener to mount in the garage which will have one transmitter with it. After that you can buy just the transmitters and program them.

11. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Very interesting-----------------------------------------------but stupid-----------------ok , who said that?

12. 1SWTVFR

1SWTVFR New Member

Don't knock it...I'm telling you...money well spent. I used to have to get the opener out of my truck every time I rode my bike, then try to reach for pocket to operate it. Just a pain. Now, get on the bike, hit the high beams and off I go. Don't have to keep up with or dig around for an opener. Not to mention clean and hidden.

13. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Ten four .....

14. wagzhp

wagzhp New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm about "this" far from pulling the trigger on the flash 2 pass...

I currently use a mini key fob remote, but the range is about 6 feet, which means I have to be right out side the door. It would be nice to have the door open by the time I was at the top of the drive way.

Those of you that have the flash 2 pass, what kind of range does it have?

15. white_335i

white_335i New Member

How effective is this system on a bright sunny day? It looks interesting..

16. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I don't think your actual high beam headlights has anything to do with the activation. But by flashing your high beams, you are energizing that circuit that you have tapped into to power the transmitter. That is what activates the transmitter and signals the door opener. So to facing the south on a bright sunny day has no effect at all. It is not the light. It is likely transmitter very similar to a TV remote or Fob Key Chain, except they are battery powered.

Right now I have a number key pad outside that opens the door but I have to get off the bike to open the door. I am considering my options. I will probably get a small fob and hard wire a new weather proof push button switch under the dash somewhere. Someday!

17. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

In the late 60's there was a comedy skit show called Laugh In. Actor Arte Johnson played a German soldier character named Tyron Horneigh(I think) and that was his signature line.
    OBJ

18. Orionhunter

Orionhunter New Member

I like to tinker, so I’m always looking for ways to make things work better. I have an older sears garage door opener that runs off a small 12v battery. It’s kind of like one of the old camera batteries. Anyhow, I figured that 12 volts is 12 volts, so why not hook it up to my bike. I have an extensive background in electronics, so I know my way around a soldering iron. Long story short, I added a jumper wire across the momentary switch and then used the power from the high-beams to supply the 12v power. Zipped tied the remote up under the upper faring so it’s all hidden. Now all I need to do is flash my high beams and the door is actuated. No extra switches or remotes in the pocket. And by using the bike power to run the remote, I can almost reroute air traffic with it. .. But the caveat is, you need a remote that runs off of 12 volts. Most run off of 3.3 these days. For that option, you can solder wires to each side of the switch and then run a momentary switch to the bars.

19. Porl

Porl New Member

Map
    I have done exactly what Orionhunter did, although on my GSX1400. Works perfectly, and the remote doesn't seem to care if I run high beam for extended periods (using the normal high beam switch also activates the remote with the way the Suzuki is wired). It must time out I think, though I no longer have access to the test equipment to confirm that. If I ride home from work at night with highbeam on, I still need to switch to low beam and back, or use the pass light switch to make the door go up as I get near home.
    On a previous bike (CBR600) I just extended the contacts from the door remote control switch to a momentary mini switch mounted below and sideways on the left switchblock, basically adjacent to the horn switch. This also worked perfectly with the disadvantages of adding an extra switch to the bike and needing to occasionally change the battery in the remote.

I haven't mounted anything on the VFR750 yet, mainly because I don't have a spare remote ( Need to share it with the car).
    For 3.3v remotes, the same method I used with the separate switch would work with no changes. The passing light switch method could also work if you have the electrical know how to make a simple voltage divider.

Orionhunter: We seem to have some common ground -my electronics background is also extensive, but now I'm down to just tinkering after changing professions 15 years ago. Strangely enough considering your user name, most of my experience comes from Orions, the P3C variety.

20. white_335i

white_335i New Member

This sounds very interesting. I think my garage remote runs with 3.3V :(