Function of the Clutch switch?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by slowbird, Jun 13, 2016.

1. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    I'm pretty sure the clutch switch (located near the clutch master) on my bike isn't working. I don't hear it clicking when I manipulate the clutch lever and I cannot start the bike unless it is in Neutral.

So just incase the previous owner disabled it for some reason I was wondering if the clutch switch does anything else besides letting the bike know you have the clutch lever in so you can start the bike while it is in gear?

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

It's primary purpose is for a "bypass" so if the bikes in gear it'll allow you to start it if it's pulled in. To verify that it's the switch, grab a volt meter/continuity tester and place the two leads on the switch and pull in the lever. Pulling and releasing the lever should give you a reading of closed/open on the meter. I have seen the actual wiring or connector at the switch be the culprit. I also believe these are replaceable items.

3. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Yep, that is all is does. Very easy to change out and cheap to replace. Take it off, clean it, push it in and out a few times. I just checked mine, and I had mine bike on the centerstand. I pulled off the switch, cleaned it, depressed it, and pulled in the clutch with the bike in gear and hit the starter.....and it fired. Make sure that your lever is not adjusted out to the furthest adjustment. My issue was just that. The clutch lever was inadvertently :rolleyes: adjusted out after I decided to offroad thru a field. lol. I adjusted in back in one notch and it now engages the switch. So make sure it is not an engagement issue before you buy another.

:vtr2:

4. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    I had to adjust AM's on her bike because it wasn't making enough contact.

She always starts with the bike in gear, it helps with her height. Worked like a charm once adjusted.

5. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    On our fifth gens the clutch switch controls the flapper valve. A constant buzz from the flapper is an indicator to clean or replace the clutch switch. The flapper valve is to reduce intake noise, so this is not a critical function. (On the 6th gen it has some control over idle, aka, clutch out, idle up a bit. I think that is new with the 6th gen programming but not positive.)

Aside from lever damage, the Chinese levers are not accurately machined and many times do not interact properly with the clutch and brake switches, requiring some jury-rigging. So check your levers and you could find the answer there if they are not OEM.

6. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Well ... yes and no. The flapper main purpose is to control air intake into the airbox, engaging in certain RPM ranges to help adjust the A/F mixture. The intake noise is secondary and primarily linked to the snorkel.

7. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    There is yes and no and more talking shit by Knight..

Then ya got this universality thing going that is worse even than the generational thing. Two versions of "The Thing" as a flick too. Dubbed into Canadian too..;)

Betcha now all those rave posts aboot Chinese levers will be exorcized from the holy writ because Knight says they are crap. I'm keeping mine BTW!! LOL

8. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    My Chinese levers worked great on my old 4th gen, as well as the 6th gen that I just sold. I already ordered a set for my 5th gen.

I don't see how the electronic Clutch switch has any effect on the vacuum operated Flapper? :eek:hwell:

9. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    I actually have $180 dollar Pazzo levers.....next time I'm buying Chinese

10. Badbilly

United States
    Even the old Chinese guys who come up with all those really cool sayings run Chinese levers.

Damn! I sure hope Knight ain't Chinese..

11. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

Yes, mine wouldn't start unless it was in neutral. Found out the switch needed adjustment.

Once Jeff did that, no issues. I watched him do it sof I'd know next time. Super simple.

It was more of an annoyance to start in neutral.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

12. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Yes its not logical but it is true. The flapper is closed in gear below 5500 rpm and open above that. Also it is open any time the bike is in neutral. And... in gear, with the clutch in, it opens at all rpm. The flapper is actuated (closed) by vacuum, but an electrical solenoid valve opens the vacuum to the flapper. The solenoid is controlled by the ECU. So.... sitting in gear at a standstill, if the clutch switch is making intermittent contact due to dirt/bad positioning, the solenoid is also intermittently actuated, hence the electrical buzzing sound.

You can test the flapper with the bike in neutral if you pull off the neutral switch wire, and rev the bike up over 5500 rpm at which point magically it should open.

My Chinese levers are all great and I've had no problems at all.

13. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    My bike has the "flapper mod" so I guess the switch being inop only effects starting it in gear, and as Anne.Marie mentioned it's more of an annoyance than anything.

The bike runs good and I didn't want to "fix" the clutch switch if it was gonna change something for the worse. (incase the PO disabled the clutch switch on purpose to fix another problem)

Thanks for the info all.

14. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    One screw. That's all you need to loosen.

Slide the switch forward into the lever. Tighten the screw back up.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

15. Badbilly

United States
    Why does every thing you post have to be so bloody complicated?

16. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    I'm a complicated kinda guy ... :)

17. Nicolas Siraut

Nicolas Siraut New Member

France
    Map
    Got that intermittent multiple clic noise bothering me since I bought the machine (early July, 63000 km / 39000 miles). First thought it might be the front brake pads, then maybe my keys clapping here and there, but it only happened (or was noticeable) at slow speed, just before stopping at a red light for example. Yesterday it seemed clear it was somehow linked to clutch lever manipulation. Did read all this then unscrewed the switch: there was some tiny but thick spider net inside, right between the 2 small contacts. Did clean it, put some electrical contact cleaner all over and put it back: 5 minutes at the most. Seems OK now, only one clic when I engage the clutch, nothing more. Thank you All.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021