Front Brake question

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Terry Smith, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Hi Gang
    I want to replace the rubber boots and clean and grease the sliding calliper pins in the front brakes. I'm all set with new pads, new boots, silicon grease and brake cleaner. But....is there a way of separating the left calliper from its mounting bracket without pulling off the SMC-to-centre piston hose? It looks to me as if there's not enough flex in the hose for me to separate the two. I'd rather not have to bleed the brakes if I can help it! Has anyone done this who can advise me?

2. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    I've pulled both calipers off in order to remove the front wheel, but I may be confused as to what you're asking.

3. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Spent a bit more time on this task over the weekend. I found that I can get the lower pin out of it's boot with a bit of force/hose flexing, but there's no way to get the top one out without pulling off brake hoses. I was able to clean the exposed part of the upper pin and inject some silicone grease under the boot, and the calliper is now moving very freely. By contrast, the RH calliper pulls straight off both pins as there are no SMC hoses to hold it back.

4. Quattro73

Quattro73 New Member

Norway
    Map
    It's not possible to separate the left caliper from the mounting bracket without disconnecting the hose.

5. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Yeah, you're quite right about that Quattro. However you do it, a good clean and lube of the sliding pins is definitely worthwhile; my wheels now turn really freely with almost no drag, so I think I'll make this an annual habit.

6. Quattro73

Quattro73 New Member

Norway
    Map
    I guess you already know, when replacing the brake pads, never press the pistons into the caliper before they have been cleaned carefully. When I remove the calipers(s) for renewal of the brake pads, I operate the brake lever some times to press the pistons further out, then clean them carefully and put on some red silicone grease. Now the pistons can be pressed into the caliper and the sliding pins can be cleaned and lubed before refitting the caliper :) I have recently replaced all the brake pads on my '99 VFR and had the same LH caliper issue. The rear caliper needed new seals, one piston was seized...