From Killboy.com about the Dragon

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by WhiteKnight, Aug 6, 2007.

1. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    I saw this on another forum I am a member of. I thought it intersting to say the least. Here is the link, make your own decisions. post comments, but please keep it civil. I have not been to the Dragon since May/June, but if there is even a half truth to THP doing this, then it seems to me that they are kind of harrassing motorcycle riders, especially if they are not pulling over automobile drivers and giving them the same treatment. Isn't that called profiling or something? Anyway, here is the link:

http://killboy.blogspot.com/2007/07/bulletin-yes-there-are-police-here.html

2. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
  3. Britt

Britt New Member

4. WhiteKnight

United States
    Map
    I watched the vid, and I thought it was laughable that the TDOT worker said it was the rider that caused it, knowing full well that if the truck had to stay in its lane it could not make the turn. If the rider was in his/her lane, I don't see how that translates to it being the riders fault. Personally, I do not understand why semi's have not been banned from the Dragon, as they have from the Foothills Pkwy and 441, and the Foothills is not nearly as tight as the Dragon.

Anyway, if you go, ride safe, ride well.

5. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Now thats some crazy shit there, Sad to watch, yet doesn't surprise me either

6. OneSided

OneSided New Member

Map
    Last I heard they are trying to get the big trucks banned from the dragon.

7. midias

midias New Member

United States
    Map
    Wow That is some crazy shit I bet they would hate my aftermarket signals

8. derstuka

Map
    This is what I was talking about in my "what is your riding etiquette?" thread. If enough people f' off, racing around, killing themselves, causing accidents, all will suffer the consquences. The governor has resorted to scare tactics, in trying to lessen the fatalites. Interestly, if you read a lot of the posts on killboy, these guys are complaining about getting tickets for not having insurance proof, expired registration, proper license plate mounts (I always tell my brother that), no mirrors, come on, give me a break, these guys were asking to be ticketed. These guys are complaining about tickets and they might as well be riding naked down mainstreet riding a wheelie.

I say let it cool down for awhile, and when you do hit it, make sure you are 100% legal, and don't have your mirrors off, or any other silly reason for them to pull you over.

9. Rev

Rev New Member

I'm never going there; it's completely overrated. Plenty of great roads out here to ride.

10. VsVFR

VsVFR New Member

Map
    I'd have to say that if the THP is ticketing for these generic violations (insurance, no license, no mirrors) then more power to them. Laws are laws! If however they are pulling people over for illegitimate reasons, then we all have a reason to sqawk. If people are taking their trackday bikes to ride the Dragon then they apparently confused the meaning of trackday with:
    "ride your local public thouroughfare like it was a track."

Which is a common misconception.

11. derstuka

Map
    All too common where I live....:mad:

12. WhiteKnight

United States
    Map
    Actually, they are complaining about being targeted as motorcyclists. The autos are not being treated the same, which is wrong and discriminatory. This sends a message that car drivers can do almost whatever and get away with it. But I agree with the fact that if thye do not have proof insurance or properly registered bikes, then yes a ticket would be justly given. However, to just pull a bike over when no infractions are being or have been commited and observed by an officer of the law, then it's just wrong. For instance, having aplate mounted on the swingarm is not necessarily illegal, to my knowledge as long as it is visible and readable, i.e. not obstructed from view.

13. derstuka

Map
    Yeah, I know what they are complaining about in general, but I am just adding that they are easy targets for the POPO (slang for police) with all of their infractions. Lots of things are unjust what some LEO's do, but they get away with it everyday. Some people just never learn, and are easy targets to nail.

This is digressing from the main subject, however, have you seen some of the underseat and swingarm license plate mounts these days? Half around me are unreadable, at least the underseat ones are. They should be mounted horizontally readable on the rear of the vehicle, not the middle under the seat half bent and hidden by a 180/55 fat tire. If I was a cop, that would be my reason to pull someone over if I wanted a reason. This place is too hot right now, and these bikers are caught in the middle.

Of course, I never agree with being unfairly targeted by the POPO. That is not right. These guys should just stay away and let things simmer. Hard to simmer down with too many clowns! :smile:

14. VsVFR

VsVFR New Member

Map
    Good point Vman! I usually don't side with the cops, too many altercations when I was younger. Kind of gives me an idea though. Killboy should gather a large group of riders and have them park in the numerous pulloffs on the D and give everyone disposable camers, then they could photograph the police all day long. Killboy could do a cop week on his "frontpage."

I hope all of this is slowing down by late Sept or early Oct.

15. eddievalleytrailer

eddievalleytrailer Member

United States
    Map
    That's a great idea. Or......we could go to Radio Shack, cough up $99 bucks and buy radar guns. They have them and are preety cool. We could sit at every wide spot, and radar the cops as they drive by.
    I think Gomer Pyle said it best "Citizen's Arrrrreeeesssttt, Citizen's Arrrrreeeesssttt". :biggrin:

16. WhiteKnight

United States
    Map

LOL. I could see that now.

"Officer, I am citing your for 40 in a 35 and failure to use your Whelens (i.e emergency lights) to indicate you are on a call. lol

17. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

I've said this before, if you act like a freaking jackass, the cops will be after you on the Dragon. If you don't they let you pass without a second look.

Now, what constitutes acting like a jackass?

Running your bike without proof of insurance or an outdated registration?
    Yes, you're a jackass.

Putting an illegal mod on your bike?
    Yes, you're a jackass. In fairness, slip-on mufflers are illegal in all 50 US states. I don'k know of a single person ever ticketed for just that.

Going 65MPH on a road that's posted for 35MPH AAANNNDDD looks like it was paved by ADD kids on crystal meth?
    Yes, you're a jackass.

Crossing the center line & passing illegally?
    Yes, you're a jackass.

Doing monster wheelings on a road that is more extreme than most racetracks?
    Yes, you're a jackass.

Trust me when I tell you this, 90% of traffic & State Police are worthless. Now, if you don't draw attention to yourself, don't you think they would rather pull over the easy kill? You know, get the guy they saw do a 18 second burnout in front of Wendy's? Just don't give them a reason & you'll be just fine.

Now, if they do in fact pull you over for no other reason than your vehicle has 2 wheels & then give you a BS ticket, then it's time to talk to a lawyer. I got pulled over once in NJ. The reason? "Someone called the cops & said a guy on a yellow bike was speeding thru the development. You're the first yellow bike we saw." I listened to them, let them read me the riot act & then pointed out that I live in this development & I don't speed in my own yard. They still wanted to give me a ticket. All I said was, give me that ticket & a lawyer will be on the phone with the chief of police before close of business today. That was the end of that.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: