FOX Sports coverage of MOTOGP

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by flya750, Aug 31, 2009.

1. flya750

flya750 New Member

United States
    Was it just me? Or did the FOX Sports TV coverage of the Indy motogp race really really suck.

Too many commercials... missed all the drama because of the commercials... terrible camera race coverage.

I looked forward all day to the race and it was a HUGE disappointment.

I know I could do better if I were the tv producer and director. I would instill allot more excitement into the actual coverage. It wouldn't take rocket surgery to do. ;)

2. Ancon

Ancon New Member

United States
    Map
    I thought it was GREAT coverage. I especially liked how they were away at commercial when both Pedrosa AND Rossi went down. I don't like to have all that drama and excitement live--I like to be eased into it after commercial when the announcer can say, "well, while we were gone, you missed probably 2 of the most pivotal slideoffs...."

Yeah, it sucked. Camera shots sucked too. That's why I go to it each year.

3. flya750

flya750 New Member

United States
    I mean the race is not even a hour long.... can't they minimize the commercials?

4. MotoG

MotoG New Member

No, not you. It sucked... in a dumbed-down for the masses kind of way.

5. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome to FOX Sports! Even though they own SPEED, they use the USA race coverage crews for the two USA GPs, and they just are not as good as the crews that normally cover MotoGP when it's overseas...

6. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

it sucked did not even have interviews w/ top 3
    would have been nice to see Nicky all amped up on placing 3rd.

7. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    Side note. Ralph shitheel or Sheheen or whatever his name is sucks and is a total retard tool. I tell you how bad he is, at the race when Dani's bike is LYING ON THE DAMN TRACKS WITH RACERS DODGING IT .... the other announcers have to butt in to talk about it. Some guy behind me in the stands yells "wake up Sheheen, the damn leader just crashed out!" I tell you how bad he is, people in the crowd are yell YOU SUCK at the jumbotron when they see him. He's so bad that I am reduced to using words like tool and retard to describe..............ahhh nevermind. If bullets werent so expensive I'd.......ahhh whatever

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  8. Richard Thompson

Richard Thompson New Member

Map
    i watched this race live on TV here in NZ. I had to get up at 5.am, picked up the coverage from just prior to the 250GP race, got all the pre race viuals including an interview with nicky hayden, warm up lap, race, podiums and riders debrief for both races with no breaks for adverts.

This was on the sky network feed with the british commentators, the same ones we always get so i dont have a basis for comparison with the 'dumbotron..LOL" (thanks for the great mind visual there V4 bear!)

so i guess we got it lucky here huh????

i will say that it was a beautiful looking track. is there any particular reason they use indy over any of the others? is it facilities,track rating, location?

I know they have the USGP at Laguna Seca which in its arid area is quite a contrast to the green of indy.

9. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Over here the race was carried on Eurosport, and I think they used the same camera feeds as Fox. Fortunately Eurosport rarely have any commerical breaks, and none at all during the race. They also use their own commentators who really know the sport, and they make sure that none of the pivotal moments in the race were missed.

Its obvious you folks have a really great racing circuit which certainly provided lots of challenges to the riders, however it sounds like its all being let down by your TV coverage. In Europe, motoGP is followed almost manically by millions especially in Italy and Spain, and if a European TV station delivered such appalling TV coverage it would have provoked mass demonstrations with thousands of riders outside the TV station demanding the programme director got fired!

10. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    Usually we get the Brit announcers on Speed network, or lots of guys watch via internet. There is no comparison to the quality of coverage. So far American coverage of Motogp is just flat lame. A true pity too. Many of us over here love the Brit announcers and enjoy imitating them. Fortunately Moody was live at the track so those of us there didnt have to suffer through that clown Sheheen all the time, just some of the time. Here's something funny, the blurb on the Indy website called Sheheen a "MotoGp expert"....yeah, expert all right, to say Sheheen is a bit of an assclown is like saying Jimi Hendrix could play the guitar a bit.

To say the track venue itself is vast would be understating it. It is just freaking huge. I was disappointed that only three major manufacturers tents were there, Ducati, Honda ,and Yamaha. Sunday's attendance was 75k, not a 100+k Euro crowd, but not bad for a race held in the middle of redneck land. 146k for the whole weekend. At 75k the place still looks empty except for certain areas, the place can hold 300k .

Tons of folks from outside the USA made the trip though, and it was a good time, I will be there next year.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  11. betarace

betarace New Member

it was aweful - pedrosa's crash, during a commercial, rossi's crash - during a commercial - innane commentary. Prefer the standard MotoGP commentators from the feed on Speed.

12. RedMenace

RedMenace New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    It is the High Expectations Factor

Looking forward to it all week. So, it sucked.
    Good- Camera work was excellent.
    Commentators were fine.
    It was on
    Hayden got 3rd
    Bad- No intro to track or field. B-Movie, "Play it to the Bone" is the lead in, and you can't add 15 minutes of coverage? Killed their casual viewer, sport will never grow.
    No Sponsors except Yami commercials. That means it was a ratings dog and will remain that way. That's why it was jacked with Fox promos.
    There's more, but you guys have covered it and why kill ourselves over the past. I'm pissed about the future.
    Go to MotoGP.com and subscribe. I've done it or 2 events and it is worth 15 bucks. (I spent 15 bucks on beer during the race anyway) I introduced a friend to the sport, and now we are going to split the rest of the season.

13. bridgemanusa

bridgemanusa New Member

I was there.. my perspective

I found on on Friday (about midday during the 250cc practice) that Fox Sports was going to broadcast and was a bit "pleasantly" surprised as I expected it having to be on some other pay cable station.

It is bad enough that you cannot be there that you have to deal with crappy TV coverage. I have been to both Indy MotoGP races and I have to tell you, being there is an absolute thrill!! Both times I had VIP access credentials ( a package from another site) in a Gasoline Alley suite just above the pit area WITH access to the paddock.

I attached a couple of pictures I took to give you an idea of "part" of the experience.

Dani Pedrosa in Sunday morning practice
    IMG_4649-sm.jpg

Valentino Rossi on his way back to his trailer after Saturday qualifying
    IMG_4671-sm.jpg

Nicky Hayden after the final press briefing. He was one VERY happy American!
    IMG_4755-sm.jpg

On a side note, I was standing outside of the Repsol Honda garage (paddock side) and the one of the American Honda reps came out and I asked him about the VFR 1000. Needless to say, he gave me a bit of a funny look and said he was "told" that there has been allot of "speculation and rumors" in the blogs that pictures of a "1200 CC version coming out". He basically said that there are quite a few different test models out there that Honda is toying with and some sort of official announcement will be coming out in the Fall of this year. I am kicking myself for not getting his name. Basically, they have been told to say NOTHING except very scripted answers, which I also got from one of the reps at the enormous Honda tent.

Attached Files:

14. supertex

supertex New Member

Crappy? I wouldn't know since I forgot to tell my Tivo that it was airing on Fox and not SPEED. Yeah I know, it feels great.

15. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    join the club, mex....join the club...