Four things to make a great bike even better

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by ilovheros, Mar 13, 2010.

1. ilovheros

ilovheros New Member

Map
    I have had my 07 since October and I really dig it but there are several things that I had to find a way to fix.
    #1...Friggin wind noise just drove me nuts! I am 5'8' and the wind hit me right at the bottom of my Bell Star helmet and coming from a "naked" I just could not believe how loud it was. Notice I said "was"cause I some how got lucky and solved it with a new HJC carbon helmet and Puig racing screen. This helmet has a lower down on the neck profile, better shape and better neck padding to cut noise. This along with the Puig has virtually made the VFR wind noise quiet, the same above the screen or sitting behind it. I am very happy now.
    #2...I completely solved the Vtec transition aggravation with a Power Commander. THERE IS NO TRANSITION NOW ! I didn't think "it" bothered me and I tried to tell myself "it" was fun but the VFR is so much better without "it".

#3...I set the SAG front and rear to 35mm and I can really tell the difference. 1/2 ring showing up front and 20 clicks rear (abs model)
    The bike feels more planted and this was a suprise to me.. more compliant (softer) over bumps! Just great! I weight 183/195 with gear.

#4...Dropped the front 5mm's and I really think it turns better with less effort. I would like to try 2 or 3 mm's more I think.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  2. snowcrossmxz

snowcrossmxz New Member

nice, i just readjusted my sup setup and added a pc3 and heli bars and im happy

3. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Now that is how it's done. Identify the areas that you would like to improve, formulate a plan, and then get it done. No sniveling, blaming Honda, or complaining. It's all about implementing simple solutions and getting results. Excellent work.

4. 2thdr

2thdr New Member

Your bike is beautiful man...great job on your solutions. I'm only 5'7" 160 lbs on a 2004 model. I wear a Scorpion EXO-700 or EXO-1000, or a Shoei RF-1000 and all seem pretty quiet behind my stock windscreen, but I like the look of your Puig racing screen. Even though I'm just learning this bike (sport bikes in general, coming from a cruiser), I should get someone to help me set the sag on mine correctly. I have the Keith Code video "Twist of the Wrist II" and there is a short clip on setting rider sag. Have you seen that? Is it really that simple? Maybe someday I will get the PC to eliminate the VTEC surge, but as a newbie I'm still grinning like hell when it kicks in...

5. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    That a nice looking bike. Those don't look like the standard bars - were they Mod #5?

Skimad4x4
    6th Gen Militia # 218

6. stoshmonster

stoshmonster New Member

That's Sweet!

#1 I run a Puig DB windscreen on my '03. I installed it last summer and I really like it a lot. I'm just shy of 5' 10" and it works perfect for me.

#2 I've got a Power Commander on my bike too,just to get rid of the stumbles and smooth things out a bit. Gotta say I'm one of those crazy goobs on the other side of the fence when it comes to the whole VTEC thing though. I personally like the way the thing goes "WHACK" at 7K and the whole bike shudders. Never fails to bring a $hit eating grin to my face.

#3 Now that's the kind of feedback I like to hear Ilovheros! It really makes a HUGE boost to your confidence level when you've got the front end dialed in and working for you doesn't it? I revalved and resprung (with a slightly softer spring than stock) my stock forks with Race Tech Components,and I'm running an Ohlins shock out back. I couldn't get the set-up and didn't have the adjustability I wanted from the stock suspension components. I'm running 32mm sag at 175lb rider weight with full gear.

#4 I raised the forks 10mm in the triple clamps and installed the Thurn Motorsports lowering plates on my bike. The 6th gens. are long,tall,kinda top heavy bikes and that helps to quicken the steering feel just a bit and bring the center of gravity down closer to the ground.

#5 IMHO you should've said five things that make your bike better because I like the placement of the Honda Racing decals on your clip-ons Ilovheros. Just plain looks cool.:thumbsup:

7. ilovheros

ilovheros New Member

Map
    Thanks guys. I think my helmet had more to do with the wind noise than the screen but its perfect now. I was just amazed how much better my suspension feels and it doesn't bounce me out of the seat like my 919 did.. Take the time to do the sag thing, it its worth it. On all the bikes I have owned, I have never had "custom" suspension. They say," you only know the best you have known". If I took this bike on the track I am sure I would see it short comings but right now its "street good"...I can't use the word "love" , I only use that word for people, but I really "like this bike.

8. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    Excellent thread.

1. Complete suspension overhaul. Springs, valves and oil up front. 3 way Elka shock in the rear.

2. Removal of the O2 sensors.

3. Factory hard bags

4. Sargent seat.

9. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    That must be a big plus, wind drives me crazy. Your bike looks great with that windscreen, I wish there was something that worked for my height (6') and looked good at the same time.

10. vwrxtrd

vwrxtrd New Member

Have you thought about cutting your windscreen down? I am 6'1" and cut mine down last year with no regrets. The wind now hits me in the upper chest. It cut down on the turbulance around the helmet which has quieted down things quite a lot.
    [​IMG]

11. Cyborg

Cyborg New Member

United States
    Which map are you using and are the O2s still in play?

12. ilovheros

ilovheros New Member

Map
    Power Commander map for stock pipes/o2 elim.

13. ilovheros

ilovheros New Member

Map
    Coming from a 919 with no screen, I can say..if I were over 6', I would "cut that sucked down'. I was going to do just that but at my height I found the right combo.

14. Comicus

Comicus New Member

United States
    Map
    #5 Air box mod

#6 sprockets

I feel the bests mod is the sprockets. I went -1/+2. It's a great mod!

15. ilovheros

ilovheros New Member

Map
    PS. You can finish the edge with car door edging fron Autozone.

16. vwrxtrd

vwrxtrd New Member

I have flamed the edges with a torch, it leaves a really nice rolled edge on polycarbonate. You can't see it very well in the pictures

17. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    That's some great info, thanks. You know what, I have been holding off on installing my Heli-bars because I thought they would aggravate the wind situation but your idea makes sense. If I install them it would raise me slightly higher and maybe also put the wind to my chest rather than right under my helmet as it is now. Maybe I'll find a stock windscreen somewhere and start cutting.

18. stoshmonster

stoshmonster New Member

I've got the stock windscreen off my '03 Jason. It's just sitting on my parts shelf collecting dust. It's yours for the asking.

19. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    Appreciate that my friend. I will see if I can find a local one first so we don't have to go through the pain of shipping such a non box conforming item. Thanks again though stosh :thumb:

20. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

how much did you cut off the stock screen???