Found an 8 Spoke Wheel !!

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by Captain 80s, Dec 24, 2021.

1. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    It was attached to the bike...

signal-2021-12-23-12-07-17-648.jpg

Couldn't afford not to buy it. 1990 VFR750F with Title, Fox Twin Clicker, upgraded front springs, braided lines, Corbin, upgraded R/R. Michelins have virtually zero miles on them, but are 6 years old. Still feel decent to the fingernail. Good enough for some shake-down rides

$400

70K miles and needs the carbs cleaned. Gonna de-smog it at the same time. Tank is very nice, inside and out. Bodywork is trashed. Not one single decent piece.

PXL_20211224_195723616.jpg

Not sure if I'm gonna keep it or not yet. Little too junky for me maybe, even as a rain bike. I'll get it running first and let that guide me a bit. Not opposed to doing some fiberglass bodywork, but I don't wanna put too much dough into it

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
  2. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Wow, Uber SCORE!!! I would have fought you for it! Damn, thats a smoking deal. I paid 500 and all I knew was the motor was not locked up. I put alot of time, money and effort into mine. I have a Fox Shock that I bought new in the early 90s still on my 91 who is referred to as "First Wife" that bike also has Race Tech Gold valves with their fork springs.

Other bike, 93 I was able to score a Penske that I sent back to the factory to be re sprung for my weight and a overhaul.

You need to get rid of that heinous pipe! Its disgusting. Seriously, the bike you bought would keep me up at night dreaming about a score like that. Not a jealous person, but I am now. Stay Cool Warren oh btw, my 91 has 85,000 miles and still goes 150mph and is an absolute honey around town.

Attached Files:

sruss67 likes this.
  3. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Because of where it was, I had to wait 2 days to go make the final deal on a day off. It was a little nerve wracking, but I also didn't need it, so if it got sold from under me, I would have been fine. The whole time I had it at about 50/50 it would happen.

Took over 6 hours from leaving to getting home. 1 ferry and 1 toll bridge (I did a big round trip).

sruss67 and ridervfr like this.
  4. rhoderage

rhoderage New Member

Canada
    Map
    Can't go wrong for $400 when you can almost sell the 8-spoke alone for that! Good score

sruss67 likes this.
  5. 50th VFR

50th VFR New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    And the (missing) best graphics of any year of VFR IMHO.

6. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Goodbye 5 pounds of bullshit.

PXL_20211227_194047605.jpg

Pulled the carbs and removed the emissions / PAIR CRAP. Later I will remove the hard lines from the heads and use the fittings to create block off plates. Since I can't get to the rear right now I just decided to loop back on themselves, which I've done before.

PXL_20211227_194058325.MP.jpg

7. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    The other benefit... Hardware.

PXL_20211227_201555390.MP.jpg

While I wouldn't use it on a Resto, it sure comes in handy when working on a buddy's bike in an emergency or as a favor. I'll go and find a less than perfect piece that won't be seen but is still functional. They say, "wow thanks dude." And I respond, "harvest or buy your own hardware and work on it at your place."

"Oh. Yeah."

8. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    That is a CA bike based on the charcoal canister! I hate all that crap, I honed my skills as its my second gen3 bike de-paring (or what-ever you call the process lol) I go in with a die grinder on the rear cylinder cross over and cut it, this way it comes out of that labrinth of pipes easier. I then plug weld the chrome caps and bolt them back on. Once I ripped one of those space age gasket looking things and bought a new one, its only money right? Plus it is only 10% over dealer cost if my memory serves me correctly.

Attached Files:

9. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I will be cutting the rear tubes up to extract and plug the fittings when I have access. And after the carbs go back in to run it and verify I'm not parting it out.

Already figured out a plan for a D&D slip-on (I think) to replace the shortened stock can.

The carbs are nasty on the outside. Not looking forward to playing in gasoline. Too cold outside right now anyway, we got close to a foot of snow Sunday and it's only 20 degrees right now.

10. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I've dealt with worse. This is the left rear carb.

PXL_20211227_232841510.jpg

11. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Wow! Awesome. Thanks for sharing the heinousness of it all. Ik, I remember having to get a part of an old Sabre in the junk yard, bike was lying on its side for over ten years at least. There was a Banyan tree that grew around a Vespa, anyway - I took the cover off the side that was exposed and holy cow, it was like all the parts were preserved in the tombs of egypt. Shiny metal etc, not dealing with degraded gasoline but still impressive.

If its a CA model it has different sized jets me believes among other things.

12. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Yeah... I will be documenting everything and jetting as needed. K&N and slip-on D&D muffler (likely).

13. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Carbs are apart. The outside is pretty nasty, but the insides all look pretty damn good.

PXL_20220119_144055437.MP[1].jpg
    PXL_20220119_144129299[1].jpg

V of the motor with 70K miles and then sitting in some weather for a few years. Not pretty.

PXL_20220119_144146262[1].jpg

I'm not going to break the carbs apart right now. They will get a full cleaning and bench synch only. The needles were shimmed, pilots are stock at 38 (for CA) and the mains are still #130 (49 & CA). I think the boots will be supple enough with some heat to re-install just to verify how the engine sounds. Then some decisions will be made, like coolant o-rings and alternative jetting. With all the extraneous shit removed around the carbs, they come out pretty easy.

New wheel to replace the 8 spoke. 2002 5.5". Pretty sure I will need to machine some reliefs for the rotor nuts, no big deal. Regardless if I keep this bike or not, the 8 spoke wheel will likely not be staying on it. Low mile 1993 shock so I can remove the Fox TC. 1992-93 shocks got aluminum lower clevises with rebound adjustment. The Fox shock will likely not be returning either, I have other plans maybe. In any case it needs to come out for a cleaning and service.

PXL_20220119_144216389[1].jpg

ridervfr likes this.
  14. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    On the lift she goes.

PXL_20220208_013845107[1].jpg
    Priority number one is get the carbs back in and run it to confirm the engine. I am very confident judging by how everything looked that it will run perfect.

Carbs are "clean" and just need to be re-assembled and installed. They are now perfect inside, but still kinda grody on the outside (just like the bike), so I'm not too worried about it. Finished cleaning and prepping the carb components last night.

WHEN the engine checks out, got some work to do swapping out parts and freshening some stuff up.

Looking to run it by this weekend.

ridervfr likes this.
  15. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

There are like six of you guys keeping this place alive. Keep on posting and I'll keep on looking. :Sad:

16. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Slow progress last few nights. Been helping a buddy completely rebuild his ST1100 carbs, including splitting them and replacing all the fuel and vent cross-over o-rings. The fuel o-rings were ready. The vent ones could have been re-used no problem, but hey, we're in there, and I have the parts. I also just happen to have the right Viton orings for the large plastic T-vent cross-overs, so that was cool and we were able to do it all in one evening and 3 beers. They went back together nicely and everything slid together with the just right resistance with some Red Rubber Grease. Bench synch and he can take them home.

Need to order some more float bowl o-rings, I have 5 left and I need 4 for the VFR tonite. Getting anxious to hear this engine.

17. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    explain the fuel pump on this bike for me, I think I understand it but wana hear it from you. Its not a total gravity system like my Kawasaki EX500, so it is a helper pump as the gas can reach a lower point than gravity at some point, correct? low velocity fuel pump?

18. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    The VFR, right?

Low pressure pump, 7 psi I think. Wouldn't necessarily call it low velocity tho, it'll def pump a thick, ropy stream.

Yeah, because the fuel outlet is about the same height as the carb inlet, Honda likes to put pumps on situations like that. The bike would probably gravity feed just fine, with maybe some issues at low tank levels.

I ran my VF500F race bike (that had a pump) on gravity feed with low fuel levels (to save weight in Sprint races) and wide open throttle with zero issues.

ridervfr likes this.
  19. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    OK... carb install. Boots are on the engine, red rubber greased and warmed up with a heat gun. Pop the fronts in all the way. The rears will look like this.

PXL_20220215_004156587.jpg
    Get your hook tool off the side. And give her a sweep across while applying some downward pressure.

PXL_20220215_004246335.jpg
    Move over to the other side and get your hook in there again, releasing a little pressure if needed to get it started. It will be a little tougher to get in, but it will.

PXL_20220215_004321222.jpg
    As you rotate the hook out after sweeping, give it all the downward pressure keeping an eye on the lips. The carbs should slide right by and seat. These carbs literally went "POP" when they seated.

PXL_20220215_004354370.jpg
    PXL_20220215_004359427.MP.jpg
    I'll usually kinda pull up and down on them and make sure they feel fully seated (I was very confident on these). I've had a slightly folded lip release when I've done that when I didn't get great feedback, and then they felt solid. These were super fucking easy. I even popped them out and back in when I noticed I was too excited and forget the front rubber/plastic heat shield. They went "POP" on the way in the second time too. And these were old boots. Almost fell in.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
  20. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Oh... she fired instantly. No weird noises or smoke. Fucking awesome. Came off choke almost immediately and into a nice idle. Settles quickly back into idle after some revs. No fuel leaks. Small exhaust leak at the rear flange, I can see the missing nut. I'll take care of that when I have the sub frame off to replace the shock.

The plan can proceed as planned.

And then the valve covers started POURING oil. Hah! Some more work I guess. At least I know the motor is good. Stoked!