Fork & shock upgrades...who's done 'em?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Rumblefish, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Rumblefish

Rumblefish New Member

Map
    Hi folks,
    So I'm venturing into the world of 'suspension upgrades'. Been doing some reading & such...Trying to determine what I can afford to do...
    For the forks, I'm leaning towards getting 'Race Tech' springs & changing the fork oil...that's it.
    I know there's others...like 'Hyper-Pro' & 'Progressive', but RT has gotten high marks from those I've spoken to.

For the rear shock, I was leaning toward a FOX 'Twin Clicker' (re-building the stock shock was not worth the trouble from what I've been gathering.

Anyway, I'm curious as to what some of you have done.

Thanks in advance for the input.

RF

2. Hedgehog

Hedgehog New Member

Be sure to educate yourself on what weight springs you really want. IMO, Race-Tech seems to bias heavily toward racing springs. On my Ducati, I have gone down from the recommended .95 kg/mm springs to .85, and will soon be replacing those with .80. If you go to their site and enter your info, you will be able to find the stock spring stiffness. If you were happy with that when they were new, then order something similar from whichever manufacture supplies them.

3. Rumblefish

Rumblefish New Member

Map
    Budget be damned! I'm going for it. Just ordered the RT springs & FOX TC Shock.

BTW, If anyone is interested...Race Tech is offering a 15% discount on springs, valves and such to members of another VFR board...VFR Discussion Group...look under the 'Vendors Specials' forum here http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/scgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=3da7fc2c93b6a914e34d5cf971a03b91

OK, gotta run...gotta figure out how I'm justifying this purchase to the wife :eek:

Wish me luck ;)

RF

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Re springs and shock:

Actually Race tech is considered conservative in their recommendation. Traxxion stipulates much heavier fork springs. I have had Fox shocks on six or seven bikes, and do recommend, though if you can afford it, you will be happier with a Penske. ( I just got my VFR and am buying a Fox TC). Fox tends to be conservative with their rebound valving and I have sent three shocks back for revalvign (Free in first year of ownership).

Racetech website has software that allows you to enter your riding style and weight and choose appropriate springs. I weigh 150 and am starting out with .9s. By the way, traxxion has springs that go higher than 1 if you are big or a tourer.

Ernie

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Everyon talks about RaceTech and Fox andandand ...
    I installed a set of Hyperpro Fork springs and oil, and rear spring on the stock shock ('01 800). Transformed the bike and handling. I can carry loads with impunity. Check 'em out,
    www.hyperprousa.com

6. afterburn

afterburn New Member

Map
    I'm with Scott here. Hyperpro is the way to go. First went with springs front and rear only, now I have one of their racing shocks in the back. Amazing how it feels and handles now. There's also a lot to say for their rising rate springs for road use.

7. Ranydaz

Ranydaz New Member

I just had my entire suspension redone to the tune of $2000...best money I have spent...here is the break down...race tech .95 springs with the gold valve kit and rebound valve kit (about $149 for each), thicker fork oil and a ohlins shock with rebound, preload and dampening adjustments ...it feels like it out handles my cbr 600 i just sold...what a HUGE difference..anyone thinking about should go for it...if the budget is tight go for the front forks first and deal with the rear later. The forks can be done for $400-500 including labor. Also, an F4I shock will work in the rear but will lower the back end down about .75"...hope this helps...

8. SprintCarCowboy

SprintCarCowboy New Member

I just bought a used 96 VFR and want to go through the suspension. What do you guys recommend? I weigh 200 pounds.

Joe

9. afterburn

afterburn New Member

Map
    HyperPro. Very good stuff. Wouldn't want to change it for anything.

10. SAFE-T

SAFE-T New Member

Got Ohlins R&T forks up front and Ohlins 46HRCS rear boinger on my '99.

Lots of adjustability, great compliance and bling, too.

11. SunsetRider

SunsetRider New Member

There is a cheap fix which I performed with success on my former bike - FZ1.
    Forks: remove and clean; cut off about 1 inch from the spring and bend down the top winding to prevent it cutting/catching; insert new longer spacer to make up the difference in spring length; use a lighter weight oil to improve flow. This results is a significantly stiffer spring at no cost, and better compliance over bumps at the same time. (spring stiffness is directly related to the length as well as the thickness if the wire)
    Rear: insert shims to raise the rear; the change in the angle stiffens the ride.

I can't say if either or both of these make sense on the VFR, but the science is sound!

Details here: RavenRider's $14.50 Suspension Upgrade