FORK FOR A 85 VF700

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by duccmann, Feb 18, 2022.

1. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Found a sweet deal but it needs new forks, slightly bent.
    Anyone have a set laying around in LA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    It might be hard to find fork tubes that aren't all pitted up on a VF750/700F. And they are 39mm, so they are unique to those bikes only, making it tougher.

Define "slightly" bent. I have straightened slightly bent forks quite a few times, as long as they are not creased at the lower clamp. I made some hard wood v-blocks for my press. Then throw them on my wheel truing stand and check run-out. If they are disassembled, you can also roll them on a known flat surface

While not for everybody's comfort level, it is possible. I have scored amazing deals on slightly bent forks. About 15 minutes later, I've saved hundreds of dollars. Especially on CBR600 forks I use on VFR front end swaps. The steering stem is longer on a VFR, so that area of the fork tube gets encapsulated and clamped by the lower triple.

Flame on if you want.

3. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I'll second the straightening suggestion; I bought some slightly bent CR6600F4 forks and had them professionally straightened, and you'd never know it. As long as there are no creases they will be perfectly serviceable.

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    check for a bent front wheel and bad wheel bearings, bent axle, damaged steering head bearings, bent triple clamp, all things that may be damaged when forks get hit.