Fitting Fairing Crash Protectors

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Saul, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Saul

Saul New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Not a bad idea in of itself: fit them DIY like. Quality product from R + G, easy to grasp, written and with formidable B + W pics. So far so goody. So, with a 30mm dia. hole cutter, ( they recommend a 28mm dia. hole cutter but I want some room for error ), a 6mm dia. drill bit because it's more precise for the first hole, a cordless drill, the one my pet chimp Gerard just loves to terrify the neurotic neighbours cat with ( the chuck jaws wrap in the felines fur and spin the little cat into a demented frenzy, I do laugh but only when I'm on my own - safer that way as some people have opinions on cruelty that they just love to belt on about. Now, holes drilled and lining up really well, the 17mm hd bolt just visable, and able to get the stretched 17mm socket wrapped around it. This was on the L/hand fairing side. Bolt out, and then the mind bending problem: there is a spacer/washer between the frame and engine ! No mention of this in the little rag, and it has dropped so only half a hole is left for the crash protector bolt to try to go through which it doesn't. This fucking spacer/washer has no way to access it. With a M4 allen key I can move the washer/spacer about but it just falls again blocking the entry of the new bolt. So what do you do? Can't get at this washer thingy without dismantling the damn bike. So what did I do? Well, I'll tell you what I did. I dipped a 6mm allen key into marine grease, the blue type, such a convincing colour, and with a blob of grease on its end dabbed it at the washer. This process was repeated over nearly half an hour when, to my complete joy, the washer stayed in place when moving it upwards. I quickly inserted the crash protecter set up into the hole and wound on the 19mm socket. L/side all done. Now to the R/hand side. I couldn't get the 17mm socket onto the engine bolt because of a plastic lattice work in front of the socket: the hole cutter not cutting a clean hole. So with a cold chisel and hammer I gave it some attention. With some of the plastic chipped away I tried to get the socket in again but no joy. Now I had to use a half round bastard file, what a bastard! It then started raining, and I was perished anyway and called it a day. Which is where I am now, my prized vfr1200f with a crash protector on one side only. The other side can wait.

2. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry for laughing , but what a write up.
    Let us know what happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Saul

Saul New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Hi there. Ya tink that's funny, wait for my piece on fitting Red, anodized adjustable foot pegs!

duccmann likes this.
  4. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Rain = a single malt.

NorcalBoy likes this.
  5. Saul

Saul New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    oH yEAH right On Buddy. I like the Irish Bushmills, so smooth, brings back warmth to the torso, numbness to the brain, and elegance to the thought.