Fitting a CF top bridge cover to the 6th gen

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Richard Thompson, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Richard Thompson

Richard Thompson New Member

Map
    well i ordered this Carbon top bridge cover a while back and it finally turned up late last week. price was $160NZ. i decided to do a step by step for those that may wish to consider a similar addition to their own 6th gen.

[​IMG]
    so here is the honda code for this item, it was interesting to see its made in thailand. the guys at the Honda shop told me it had to come via Honda europe so it sure has done some travelling..imagine the carbon footprint on this item.........(pun intentional)

[​IMG]
    here it is looking all new and shiny just out of its box. first thing to do was read the instructions....which were rudimentary but adequate. Fitting is a straight forward process which takes about 10 minutes tops.
    [​IMG]
    this thing is light as a feather! but it does also perform a useful task in protecting the alloy of the top bridge from the ravages of the dreaded key chain....well, really no....its pure sport bike bling:thumbsup:

so , onto installation. the first step is to remove the circlips at the top of the fork tubes. this is relaively easy to do and they dont need a special tool. i removed both just using my fingers, but a small flat tip is useful to help catch the edge to lift them out of their seating groove.

[​IMG]

put them in safe place, and then loosen the 12mm top pinch bolts on both handle bars. no need to remove them just let them off till you can move the risers up on the fork tube freely.
    [​IMG]
    i thought it would be a good idea to add some alignment marks to the fork tubes so i could accurately reposition them, in this pic the lower mark is in white and the upper one is a black dot. basically this ensures you realign them at the same angle you had them prior to moving them....yes...you will be moving them....temporarily only.
    [​IMG]
    now we come to the install. at this point i got assistance as 4 hands is much better than 2 for this part. i got my helper to stand at the front of the bike and grab hold of the handle bars. then lift them gently up about an inch or so.
    they will easily slide up the fork tube that much.
    whilst he did that i did a test fit and once i was happy it all fitted i removed the cover, and flipped it over so i could remove all the protective tabs from the self adhesive tapes on the back. this is what holds it in place primarily.
    [​IMG]
    pull off all the blue tabs to expose the adhesive tapes and gently position it into place. you may have to wiggle the bars a bit to get it in as it is a 3D part and NOT completely flat. once in place, press it down firmly.
    [​IMG]
    now just reverse the process. re align the bars to your creep marks and retighten the pinch bolts. i did both up to finger tight and then torqued them to pressure.
    [​IMG]
    then replace the fork tube upper circlips, ensuring they seat in their grooves.

and voila.....:biggrin:
    [​IMG]

one carbon fibre top bridge cover fitted.....way cooool :cool:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  2. winaje

winaje New Member

Excellent writeup RT, thanks...

<------- Meter cover looks good too.

3. motorhead1977

motorhead1977 New Member

United States
    Map
    Nice write up and look! The only issues for those of us here in the USA is the pricing. CMSNL have them at 39 euros plus shipping which translates into $57.95 for the part and another $16.57(estimated) for a total of $74.52. Way pricey even for carbon fiber sport bike bling! There was a guy here in the USA who was making a template for one and I will have to contact him for an update.

4. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
    Is that real CF? It looks like it's not - both the top tree cover or the instrument cluster cover.

I am certain that the fit and finish is top notch, and the 3D aspect of it makes it look awesome. But for $80-$160 for faux CF? No thanks.

5. Richard Thompson

Map
    Hmm..yes, it is indeed genuine imitation.

unfortunatly i had to order it straight out of a honda parts brochure and it was a special order item only- with only the picture to go by and no sample available to view.
    soooo, based on the price and the fact that honda are usually kosher, i took a punt and ordered it sight unseen.

its probably overpriced for what it is, but im happy with the way it looks.

and it helps personalise my bike just that little bit more..:smile:

6. VIFFER RIDER

VIFFER RIDER New Member

United States
    Map
    Looks nice but too bad its not a real CF. :(

7. killerkingdon

killerkingdon New Member

United States
    Map
    Im not gonna hate..I think it looks bad ass!! :)

8. Richard Thompson

Map
    yeah, thanks mate! ive got my eye on that meter cover next.

im working my way up the tank with carbon accesories.
    tank pad, gas cap ring, and now fork bridge. i guess next stop is the metter cover.

Attached Files:

9. motorhead1977

motorhead1977 New Member

United States
    Map
  10. killerkingdon

killerkingdon New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the link Motorhead!! I had one of the those cheap china knock offs that did not fit right. I had to cut it to get it to fit. Anything is better than what my keys are doing to the outer ring... Anyone else have dents in the tach. from doing wheelies and the keys hitting once you touch back down?? :thumbsup: Might have to start riding with just one key..weight reduction and all...that and the stickers got to add at least 5 horsepower!!