FI light

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by speed-, Jul 25, 2018.

1. speed-

speed- New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi so went out today and after approx an hour I noticed that the FI light was on ... came on very faint and get brighter stayed on for approx 30 seconds and went off .... did this a few times but did not effect the bike in any way. Got home turned bike off and did the bike on stand with side stand down .... ign on to see the FI fault code
    but nothing ...... so went out again and after 5 mins same thing .... came back and did a bit of forum research
    Dis connected and re connected ECU block connectors .... regulator connectors ... did notice the positive battery lead was slightly loose so tightened it up .... went out for 15 mins and all fine
    Was expecting to find a fault code but nothing .... any ideas or is it just a glitch in the matrix
    Thanks Speed

2. Darth Vader

Darth Vader New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I was having problems with my temp gauge read out and traced it down to a corroded connector on the left side of the engine so set about trying to clean it out. This involved poking at it , test ride, poking a bit more and on a test ride my fi light came on after a few miles and stayed on till i got home . Cleaned out the connector with white vinegar , got it really clean and shiny and this solved the temp gauge problems and didnt see the fi light lit again. Corrosion in the connector stopped the temp sender and ecu communicating so it lit the fi light . Corrosion in a connector somewhere could be the problem.
    An old bike mechanic told me years age if its not overheating , dripping anything and charging correctly just ride it

3. speed-

speed- New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi
    Thanks for the rey ... hoping it may have sorted itself out ..... yeah right ....

4. speed-

speed- New Member

United Kingdom
    In a way I would have liked a fault code ... that way I could sort it knowing the fault .... just have to see how it goes

5. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    Most probably the earth block
    Known failure point.