FI light with no start

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Ventura01, Dec 16, 2021.

1. Ventura01

Ventura01 New Member

Australia
    Hi all,
    I was out riding a couple of days ago and the bike just stopped on me. I rolled to a gentle stop on the side of the road and gave the bike a moment and went to start it up. The FI light was on, I have never come across this. Bike wouldn't crank, tried to bump start it -nothing.
    Got a mate to come and get me. Got home and started looking through the bike. Turns out the Bank Angle fuse had blown. Easy, new fuse. Starts and runs as well as before.
    Is this a symptom of a greater problem to come (like why did the fuse blow in the first place?) and something else like the sensor is on the way out or is it something that happens?
    Thanks,
    Ventura

2. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Rather unusual for Bank Angle sensor, I'd think......
    Check the chassis ground on the right side of the frame is clean and snug. Then check the multi-way ground spider connector that is taped over, to the harness on the left side.... orange.

3. Grum

Grum New Member

Australia
    Hi Ventura.
    There is a possibility that it was just a case of an ageing fuse that randomly blew. If your new fuse blows again then you definitely have a short to Ground somewhere for that power source. Do you recall if the bike failed just as you rode over a bump?

Attached is an excellent drawing of the 5gen electrics. Use the drawing to follow what I'm saying below! NOTE - On the drawing, the Starter and Engine Stop Switches are labeled incorrectly - the Engine Stop Switch is to the left, the Starter Switch to the right being the 4 wired switch!

Fuse D Feeds your Kill Switch via the White/Black wire then the Black wire from the Kill Switch feeds both the Starter Switch and the coil of your Engine Stop Relay(ESR) Note - This Black Wire is Positive!
    Fuse D White/Black wire also feeds power to the Bank Angle Sensor (BAS). The BAS will then provide a Ground for the ESR coil
    The confusing thing with the ESR is that the Black coil wire is Positive and the Red/Orange wire from the BAS is a Ground/Negative wire, for the relay coil.

So..... Things to Check.
    1. Make sure the wiring at your Starter and Kill Switch looks good with no frayed or exposed wiring that could short to frame. With Ignition Switched ON, move your steering fully left and right, activate your Kill Switch numerous times make sure the fuse doesn't blow.
    2. Have a good look at the wiring to the ESR make sure there is no possibility of shorts on the relay base of the Black wire to the Red/Orange wire. An intermittent short within the relay could be a possibility any suspicion of the ESR you could swap it with your Hi Beam relay for fault finding.
    3. Have a close look at the BAS and its wiring. Unfasten the BAS, start your bike and tilt the BAS (Approx 60deg) make sure it shuts your engine down consistently when tilting it left and right, if your fuse blows or the BAS does not consistently shut your engine off then you have a faulty BAS. Give the BAS a gentle tap, see if any vibration of the BAS causes the fuse to blow.
    4. It's a bit of a trial and error thing in isolating an intermittent short on a power line so keep a few 10amp fuses with you and as mentioned, it may just be a one off random ageing fuse failure, but, you never know, time will tell!

Good Luck. Keep us posted with anything you find.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
    RllwJoe, Ventura01 and Terry Smith like this.
  4. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    What Grum says!!!

We are lucky to have you with us Graham.

squirrelman and Grum like this.
  5. Grum

Grum New Member

Australia
    Hey Terry you're making me blush mate. I can and will say the same for all your expertise shared here as well.
    Thanks Cuz!

6. Ventura01

Ventura01 New Member

Australia
    Hi,
    Thank you very much for this detailed response. Certainly very helpful! The wiring diagram is useful too. I did hit a bump shifting from 2nd to first on a very steep hill at walking pace in slow traffic when it stopped. I am hoping it was an elderly fuse and I can enjoy some Honda refinement for a long time. I really could have done without the 300 meter walk pushing the Honda in full leathers in 30 degree heat....and the Brown snakes in the bushes...
    Thanks,
    Ventura.