FI flashed on while riding, should I be worried?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Hero Danny, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Hero Danny

Hero Danny New Member

United States
    Map
    Hi everyone!

Yesterday I was riding and as I was cruising down the road I saw in the corner of my eye my FI light turn on, it was on for maybe 1-2 seconds and immediately turned off, during that time I experienced nothing weird, bike ran and sounded fine. The whole day the bike performed great didn't miss a single beat.

Voltages remained stable the whole time, even when the light flashed as well.
    Is this something I should be concerned about?

This is the first time it's ever happened to me in the 6,000 miles I've owned the bike for. The only note worthy thing I've done recently to the bike is add heated grips (yes they were on, they are oxford grips and at 50%, voltages remained normal) and I re-enabled the PAIR system (I have O2 sensor eliminators so I figured it was redundant to have the PAIR disabled)

Modifications I have on my bike, that's electrical related.
    -Power Commander 5 (Cozye Map)
    -VFRness (with fuse box)
    -Gear Indicator
    -Heated Grips
    -Volt Meter
    -Wiring harness recall performed

My bike is a 2003.
    Thanks!

2. OCLandspeeder

OCLandspeeder New Member

United States
    It's possible that your MAP sensor is going out. I would check that sensor first. It's $130 new from Honda so check its function before you replace.

3. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    The FI light can come on for all manner of reasons, including component failure, but my guess is that a more likely cause would be an intermittent wiring connection that maybe got jostled on a bump. A bit of preventative maintenance would be to go through the bike and disconnect/clean/grease/reconnect each connector, and also hunt down the elusive earth block on the harness (6G under the top fairing right side I think) and do the same.

You may also be able to use the FI diagnostic procedure and find out which component gave the fault, if the event made it into the fault memory.

4. Hero Danny

Hero Danny New Member

United States
    Map

Oh, how would I do that?

Also I installed the VFRness about 2 months ago and when I did I cleaned all the connections and put di-electric grease on the connectors.

5. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    There is a diagnostic procedure in section 5 of the service manual. On the wiring loom there is the "service check connector", basically a black 2p female connector, on the 6G it is under the front cowl but I can't tell more than that from the manual, my 5G is under the tail cowl. By inserting a jumper wire between the two terminals (key off), then key on and kill switch on, if there is a fault recorded the FI light will start to blink out the appropriate code. If the FI light is steady, there is no recorded fault.

There is also a procedure for clearing the fault memory.

If you've ever turned the ignition on during servicing with the airbox removed, then any disconnected components like the IAT or MAP will show up as faults during the diagnostic procedure, so make sure you clear the fault register if that happens.

6. gregrunt

gregrunt New Member

United States
    I've had this happen to me at highway speeds. I pulled over, turned the bike off, turned it back on, and it was still there, but it went away after a few seconds. If it disappeared, I don't think it was anything serious (or it resolved itself [as another user mentioned, could be a loose wire]).