Fan will not turn off

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Rome1, Aug 23, 2021.

1. Rome1

Rome1 New Member

United States
    Map
    Hello, I have been away from the site for a while as I have been taking short trips and the bike has been performing well. I just completed a 3,000 mile trip and my fan would not turn off for the second half of the trip. It would turn on first thing in the morning after sitting so I know it was not hot enough to be on. It did turn off maybe two time on the balance of the trip after the bike had been shut off for a while. I see threads talking about it not coming on but I could not find one on it not turning off. I am wondering if it might be a ground issue if it is something more complicated. The bike is a 2002 and has 34,000 miles if that matters.
    Any ideas are appreciated.

2. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Sounds like the rad fan temperature sensor switch.... kicking in at too low a temp......

3. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
  4. Rome1

Rome1 New Member

United States
    Map
    Thank you for the information and the link to the part! I will check the ground (the service shop said to look at this) and then move on to replacing the switch. I have seen other threads on where the switch is located so it should not be too tough.

5. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    The ground won't be at fault if the fan is running. These are wired with an always on power source to the motor, and the temperature switch just completes the path to ground. I suppose if there was an alternative path to ground (i.e. a bare wire in contact with the chassis) then that could cause the fan to run on.