Fairing Stays

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by RotaryRocketeer, Jul 24, 2014.

1. RotaryRocketeer

RotaryRocketeer New Member

I'm looking for a fairing stay for my '86 700. I have one for the right side, but just the one. The part I'm referencing is the bolt that attaches to the frame about halfway up and is threaded on the outer face to receive the fairing bolt. They show discontinued on partzilla.

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    There are two types of that stay Honda offered, one rigid and straight and the other bent at a 90 degree angle at both ends. Somebody here MUST have a spare to send you..........

3. RotaryRocketeer

Wouldn't THAT be nice? I saw some pattern part pieces from VFRChuck on eBay a while back, but I didn't jump soon enough.

4. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    I actually just had to repair my left side one as it snapped off the threaded end in the bike. After working on it, I believe it's just a chunk of billet aluminum and you could fabricate a decent replacement fairly easily. all you would need to do is measure the length of your existing one and cut a chunk of aluminum rod to length. Drill and tap each end to accept a 6mm - 1.0 thread. For the repair on mine I drilled and tapped the bike end and threaded in a 6mm stainless steel bolt with some red thread locker. Then cut the thread to length.

If you took it to any decent metal shop, they should be able to turn it on a lathe and give it that hourglass shape the OEM one has.

5. RotaryRocketeer

That's rather ingenious of you CB. I like your style. I have a close amigo who is a metal-working wiz. It just occurred to me that I've never used the friend card to get any work out of him lol. It's about time.

6. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    well, stuff like this you can either wait around forever on ebay or just make something. Speaking of fairing stays my lower right decided to snap off during a ride and disappear. Not wanting to ever deal with it again, I fabricated this today out of a stainless bracing bar. Total overkill, but I figure it will take another 50 years to corrode through. Forgive the zip tie, hardware shop is closed.

[​IMG]

7. RotaryRocketeer

No forgiveness necessary. I am the master of on-the-spot zip tie repair. I keep about a dozen of the reusable ones in my bag.