F4 vs 2002 VFR

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by speedster, Feb 25, 2003.

1. speedster

speedster New Member

I have a 2000 F4 which is plenty fast enough, but I am thinking about getting a VFR. I've been riding for about 6 months but I'm looking for something more sophisticated.

How will they be different?

2. Jake

Jake New Member

I went from an F3 to a 98 Interceptor and here's the big things I noticed:

VFR feels heavier when moving slowly (parking lot, etc.) but once underway, the difference is negligable until you start pushing hard in the corners.

VFR is much more comfortable for rides of any duration.

VFR gets better mileage and has greater range (usually 200+miles).

VFR has more midrange torque. An F4 could probably take a VFR in a drag race if the person on the F4 didn't miss any shifts, but my '98 VFR feels quicker (and I think the specs bear this out) than my '95 F3 felt.

VFR less wheelie-prone. You can do them, but you have to want to. Power wheelies in first gear are about the same, never had either my F3 or my VFR do a power wheelie in second. (I hear they're pretty common on an F4 though...)

If you're squid, take note: Stoppies are much more difficult on the VFR (but still possible).

HTH,
    Jake

3. RedRte1

RedRte1 New Member

Hey Speedster - they are fairly different bikes. I have an '02 and it is the perfect bike for me. I ride a lot with a buddy who has an '01 CBRF4i and we have swapped several times. The F4i is great for "flicking in the twistees" but is too small for me. He is smaller than I am and he comments the VFR is too big for him. Anyway - it really depends on what type of riding you are going to be doing. If you are a hard core twistee rider who only rides 30 miles or less on Sunday mornings then an R1 or 954 might be your best bet. But if you like the twistees and an occaisional overnight trip - then the VFR is the bike hands down. We ride the SoCal canyons pretty agressive (7 of 10) and this bike has never held me back. It is amazingly composed in the corners - once you set your line the bike stays with it - no corrections necessary. I switched to the Dunlop D208's and while they suck at mileage - they really do enhance the VFR's already great handling. I have taken numerous trips of 600 + miles and the VFR is great for that - very comfortable - stable in crosswinds great ergonomics, fuel range, and will cruise at higher speeds no problem.

Both bikes are great for what they do - but they are aimed at different kinds of riders.